Crisis in Russia re: Visas

I may be worrying prematurely, but what happens if Russia decides to eliminate visas for tourists due to the current crisis. We are booked on the Journey departing June 28, with 3 days in St. Petersburg. That was the reason for booking. If we cannot see that port, would cancellation and refund be the policy?

[quote name='jasule']I may be worrying prematurely, but what happens if Russia decides to eliminate visas for tourists due to the current crisis. We are booked on the Journey departing June 28, with 3 days in St. Petersburg. That was the reason for booking. If we cannot see that port, would cancellation and refund be the policy?[/QUOTE]

Anything is possible, however, given Russia's serious economic problems it seems unlikely that they would initiate a policy to decrease tourism.

It would seem more probable to me that the some combination of NATO countries might consider a regime of sanctions that could include an attempt to limit visitors and thus harm Russia in that manner. That being said, at this stage there goes not seem a common will yet to institute such a policy nor does it seem to be presently discussed.

We too have booked to be in this area this summer. I would imagine if visiting SPB were an issue, alternate ports might be offered rather than a cancellation of the entire itinerary. Then it would be a decision for cruisers as to whether such a new itinerary would be attractive enough to justify still participating.

Therefore we are considering "cancel for any reason" insurance.

Just noticed there is a story under the "Cruise News" section of this board, a story that was posted yesterday.

The majority of the discussion revolves around the Black Sea and implications for cruising there.

But there is also a brief mention that John Kerry has mentioned the possibility of an embargo on visas for tourists wishing to visit Russia. Whether such a policy will be established and how many other nations would follow suit is an interesting question.