Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Is one better than the other?

I have never stayed in either but based on location (lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance and a short ride to the port) I would pick the 17th Street Convention Center location every time.

Royalcruz thank you for the quick response. The newer one was in a nice area and there is a shopping center like area within' walking distance with a K-Mart where we bought last minute items two tears ago as well as a few fast food chains.

Between Hyatt place or Hyatt Regency pier 66. I s there any restaurants in walking distance near pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale Actually have enough points to stay in a tower room at the Hyatt Regency.

The Pier 66 has restaurants on site. The closest off-site restaurants are on the other side (the west side) of the 17th Street Bridge. If you have no mobility challenges it is walkable (although the bridge presents as a fairly big hill :D); otherwise the drive is very short as long as you don't encounter a bridge opening (on the hour and half hour upon demand).

Is one better than the other?

The area around the Hyatt Place convention center is MUCH nicer than the other, and you can go shopping/dining without crossing any big streets if you wish. Also, sometimes you can get it for a great price on Valuetrips. They have an airport shuttle for a very low fee.

The area around the Hyatt Place convention center is MUCH nicer than the other, and you can go shopping/dining without crossing any big streets if you wish.

Any reasonably priced restaurant recommendations within walking distance besides the Outback?

Any reasonably priced restaurant recommendations within walking distance besides the Outback?

There are so many. I like Duffy's, a local sports bar chain. Other ones that are really close are Coco Asian Bistro and Gilbert's Grill (no table service there).

Across 17th St, on Cordova Rd., Kelly's, Quarterdeck, and Southport Raw Bar are popular.

There are so many. I like Duffy's, a local sports bar chain. Other ones that are really close are Coco Asian Bistro and Gilbert's Grill (no table service there).

Across 17th St, on Cordova Rd., Kelly's, Quarterdeck, and Southport Raw Bar are popular.

What would be a good place for someone allergic to shell fish?

What would be a good place for someone allergic to shell fish?

Definitely not Kellys, as that is 99% of what they serve. The others have lots of other foods besides shellfish. Gilbert's has the biggest burgers I've ever seen.

Hi. I've mentioned before that the service at Shooters was awful and food mediocre. Well, they finally have their act together, so I am recommending it as a great waterfront restaurant! I ate there last week with friends who've been there several times lately and it was great! I had the chicken, brie, and apple sandwich with a side Caesar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are looking for post-cruise recommendations for one night in FLL area. We will have a rental car as we are coming from POM. Looking for hotel convenient to bars and restaurants. Thanks in advance!

We are looking for post-cruise recommendations for one night in FLL area. We will have a rental car as we are coming from POM. Looking for hotel convenient to bars and restaurants. Thanks in advance!

Between http://www.sunny.org (lots of FLL area info) and google maps you should be able to find a hotel that meets your needs and is within budget.

Riverside Hotel is the only hotel in the middle of Las Olas Blvd. There are dozens of good restaurants and many bars... it's mostly locals with lots of tourists too...much better than the overpriced mediocrity at the beach.

Riverside Hotel is the only hotel in the middle of Las Olas Blvd. There are dozens of good restaurants and many bars... it's mostly locals with lots of tourists too...much better than the overpriced mediocrity at the beach.

Great to hear as I booked Riverside Hotel yesterday afternoon. Do you have any restaurants or bars which you would highly recommend? We love all types of food.

Great to hear as I booked Riverside Hotel yesterday afternoon. Do you have any restaurants or bars which you would highly recommend? We love all types of food.

In addition to the recommendations you will get from Blue Herons, Royalcruz and others for restaurants, make sure you check out http://www.lasolasboulevard.com for info on shopping, attractions, etc. You'll also be able to catch the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com) about two blocks away and/or the Carrie B excursion boat (http://www.carriebcruises.com) two blocks away in the other direction if you are interested in seeing Fort Lauderdale by water.

We will be staying at Margaritaville in Hollywood for 2 nights pre cruise this October. Any experience with this hotel? Is it close to a water taxi? Any dinner places in the area u would suggest? We will not have a car but plan to use uber.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Bars: If you are young, American Social, Royal Pig, Yolo, Vibe. If you are more mature, Golden Lyon. Everybody else in between might enjoy Mangos (live music), Louie Bossi, Thursdays or Roccos Tacos.

Dining faves: Johnny V (upscale), Louie Bossi, Noodles Panini, Cheesecake Factory, Roccos Tacos.

In addition to the recommendations you will get from Blue Herons, Royalcruz and others for restaurants, make sure you check out http://www.lasolasboulevard.com for info on shopping, attractions, etc. You'll also be able to catch the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com) about two blocks away and/or the Carrie B excursion boat (http://www.carriebcruises.com) two blocks away in the other direction if you are interested in seeing Fort Lauderdale by water.

Thanks capriccio, we will check out the Las Olas Boulevard site. Very excited about seeing the area!

Bars: If you are young, American Social, Royal Pig, Yolo, Vibe. If you are more mature, Golden Lyon. Everybody else in between might enjoy Mangos (live music), Louie Bossi, Thursdays or Roccos Tacos.

Dining faves: Johnny V (upscale), Louie Bossi, Noodles Panini, Cheesecake Factory, Roccos Tacos.

Thanks royalcruz, wife is early forties and I am mid forties and love all types music.

Does Johnny V require jacket? Also willing to travel if there are other restaurants which are high on your list. We love great local food!

Thanks royalcruz, wife is early forties and I am mid forties and love all types music.

Does Johnny V require jacket? Also willing to travel if there are other restaurants which are high on your list. We love great local food!

I don't know of any restaurants that require jackets in Ft Lauderdale.

Some favorite restaurants that are not on Las Olas:

Thai Spice

Casa d'Angelo

Coconuts

Tap 42 (42 craft beer taps and great burgers and salads, but noisy)

Blue Martini...sit down and order before 8 for happy hour prices on food and drinks...nice patio, but really noisy inside after 8 with live bands.

Favorite dive:

Funky Buddha...it's a local brewery with food counter...OMG delicious burgers with homemade chips! Tuesday nights you get a beer and burger for $10!

I don't know of any restaurants that require jackets in Ft Lauderdale.

Some favorite restaurants that are not on Las Olas:

Thai Spice

Casa d'Angelo

Coconuts

Tap 42 (42 craft beer taps and great burgers and salads, but noisy)

Blue Martini...sit down and order before 8 for happy hour prices on food and drinks...nice patio, but really noisy inside after 8 with live bands.

Favorite dive:

Funky Buddha...it's a local brewery with food counter...OMG delicious burgers with homemade chips! Tuesday nights you get a beer and burger for $10!

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. A big craft beer drinker and love Funky Buddha, so I am sure it will be a stop for us.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. A big craft beer drinker and love Funky Buddha, so I am sure it will be a stop for us.

Funky Buddha is awesome...forget everything you know about their 2 beers that are sold outside of the brewery. Here they have rotating specialty beers and flavors. The Triple Lindy is a belgian style triple and is my husband's favorite, as is their Pinapple Hop Gun IPA. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I love their occasional Key Lime and Lychee flavored ales. They sometimes have a Maple Bacon Coffee Porter!

We're staying at the Hilton Marina in June. We would like to board the water taxi there for the full tour of FLL, ending at Las Olas for the afternoon. After our time on Las Olas we would like to take the short route back to the Hilton Marina.

Is there a specific direction I should look for notated on the water taxi?