Cost of Weight Watchers materials at meetings? New Momentum plan?

cruzzza

For the New Years, I am going back on Weight Watchers, but my materials are very old. I'd love to buy a new set. I do WW on my own, with only the books to go by and a points slider. I would like to try the new Momentum plan, but don't really know what the difference is from the old Points system. Does anyone know this? The website basically says that the new program urges you to eat more filling foods, but doesn't say if the points are different or not. Doesn't sound like a big change to me, but I don't know.

Also, I'd like to see if anyone knows how much the set of books costs at the meetings. I do not go to meetings, but the only other way I know to get these items is off of Ebay and no one there sells the "Getting Started" mini-book that used to come with the first meeting which tells you about the program. I dont' know if they still give that type of thing away at the first meeting. I would be willing to go to one meeting to get that book and also purchase the other materials. Can someone tell me how much the starter kit sells for these days? It's the pack with the Complete Food Companion, Dining Out Companion and possibly a calculator or points slider. It's been so long since I got all my stuff it's hard to remember how they even sold it. Some of the ones on Ebay come with a cookbook and journal too, but not the points slider.

p.s. Doing it on my own I lost about 20 pounds in 3 months. I told myself that I'd take a month-long break if I made it to the 3 month mark. It's been six months and I'm still on that break! I have only gained a few back, but I need to get back on the wagon.

Good for you for making a committment to start again! There has been little change to the WW plan from before and if you have the previous plan materials, you should be fine. The new plan focuses on "Filling Foods" which were called "Core" in the old plan. They are really trying to get members to eat more healthy by this re-focus. If you want to get the new materials and get an overview, you can join now with no registration fee and just pay the $12/week fee. If you decide to continue, go with the monthy pass and save a few $$$. Of course, fees may be different where you live.:)

WW is working for me and I have lost close to 80 lbs since March. Go for it!:)

That is the main 'change' that I have found. WW doesn't work for me (been doing it for 2 years) and that is OK, I am not bashing it at all. It has done GREAT things for so many people! But just wanted to let you know what the main 'word' change was from the program you have.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the replies. I am going to give it all I have. At 41, birthday Jan. 3, I can't put it off any longer. The support has always been so great on these boards. I have been a 4 year lurker and have just recently been posting. Good luck to you all.

Michelle

It's worth going to one meeting and paying the one fee for that meeting to get the new materials and sit with the leader to go over the plan. I did the old plan a number of times and have been going since Sept, thru the most recent program update. It really works if you follow it!

Also, if you like CruiseCritic, you will also like the WW online community. There's a lot of support there also. Just find a thread that matches your interests (age, location, amount of weight to lose, online, etc.).

I have been back to WW since December. I love the "changes" to the program. The points finder, food list and WI information is all together in a small booklet. Love It!! It is very easy to put in my purse and stay on track everywhere I go, instead of guessing. When you go to the meeting, you will get all of this material. I noticed that the points calculator is $9.99. Go to the meeting and get yourself started. It is a great program, you can do it:)

UK Weightwatcher here. We call the new plan the "Discover Plan" and for me personally there is not much difference to the Points Plan. I have always had my skimmed milk and yoghurt every day. I also eat lots of fruit and veg, perhaps not so much rice and pasta so that is a change. We almost always cruise with RCI and it is my fervent wish that the spa menus would show points but I know that is a pipedream. However it is great to find fellow WW's on the other side of the world with our shared interest in cruising.

UK Weightwatcher here. We call the new plan the "Discover Plan" and for me personally there is not much difference to the Points Plan. I have always had my skimmed milk and yoghurt every day. I also eat lots of fruit and veg, perhaps not so much rice and pasta so that is a change. We almost always cruise with RCI and it is my fervent wish that the spa menus would show points but I know that is a pipedream. However it is great to find fellow WW's on the other side of the world with our shared interest in cruising.

There are some differences I think but mainly based on foods available only in either country! My sister did it UK and I got to look through the site and the different recipes. She actually switched to slimming world over there and did fantastic, but to be honest I couldnt quite grasp the plan!! Still good luck to all on either side of the Atlantic

Mel

Hi everybody ! I have been on WW since 10/07 and have lost a total of 58 lbs and am now a lifetime member. I think the program is the best. As a person who has struggled with weight issues for most of my life I cant say enough about how important I think the meetings are. I have lost weight many times in the past on my own only to put it back on again. At the meetings I go to , I get so much support and encouragement. I feel that I need to be around people who understand what I am going through. My friends and family support me but its not the same. Any "diet" will work if you follow it. The trick is to find something you can live with forever because thats what you need to do to keep it off. WW gives me so much flexibity that I can still enjoy myself and endulge myself occassionaly and still stay on program. I am not worried about my upcoming cruise at all. I plan on enjoying myself, having cocktails at the beach, and eating very well. With WW today its not an all or nothing mentality. I am not going to eat everything in sight because "I am off my diet this week" instead I will have what I want, cut back on what I can, increase my activity and if I put on a pound or two, oh well. I will just get right back on program. If you havent been to meeting recently ,you owe it to yourself to go. Try a couple of different ones( they all have there own feel). When you find the right one its great. Anyway, didnt mean to be so long . I hope this helps someone.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm the OP so I thought I'd update. I got an email special so I decided to join WW online. I really like it. It does take discipline to log all the points, but not much more than it takes to write them down. I use the laptop and my wireless connection to do it sometimes. So far, I've been OK following the plan. It's true that it hasn't changed much. I need to concentrate on portion size. It worked before and I have faith it will work again. I also have a buddy that I email who is also doing WW so that helps.

OK...all you guys! Been there, done that! My daughter and I have been going to WW for the last few months. While we have not been losing loads of weight, honestly, we are not as committed as we should be to sticking to the program. But here's the deal....we decided to KEEP going, not quit, only to rejoin two months or 6 months later with now, MORE weight to lose. Our leader, Janet is just wonderful, funny, inspiring!

So DD and I, look at this whole process as: we are maintaining and maybe losing a little. And as we all know, maintaining is one of the hardest things to do. And once we finally accepted the fact that we can't do this on our own and we need to go to meetings to hold ourselves accountable, it was easier to get ourselves there every week.

Over Christmas and New Years (and a family wedding thrown in there), I only gained 1 pound, and DD lost a pound!! Now we all know that had we not been going to meetings and making at least some effort to stick with the program, our weight would have been way higher! :p

One of these days (TODAY), we will make the full commitment...and be on our way to taking the weight off. ;)

So let's all keep encouraging each other here and I know we will be successful! Let's make the commitment!!

As far as the program books, I believe the new package of books is $25-$30.

Hi everyone. I just joined WW for the third time. I'm really psyched this time to make it a success. I'm glad to find this relatively recent thread with so many WWers. I go to meetings but also use the online tracker. I really find it easier to use than to do the paper and pencil tracking. Weigh-in day is Wednesday. In the past i drove myself crazy with weighing all the time but this time I've decided to just stick to the points deal and only weigh in on the Wednesday at the meeting. I'll die with disappointment or jump with joy at that moment. Mel:D

I joined WW last week. The Dining Out Companion and the Complete Food Companion are $13 each.

You can get a kit with both books and a journal for $34. IMO, the Dining Out Companion is not worth the money. Even if the restaraunt I want is listed, it is very limited information. For instance, Macaroni Grill is in there, but not one singe pasta dish. I didn't get the calculator yet, not sure it it's worth it.

Join now, while there is no membership fee. And no missed meeting payments until the fee starts again in March.

I lost 5.6 lb. last week. About a thousand left to go.

I'm not a cruiser, just a wanna be. I'm hoping to have my weight down by time I have saved the cruise money. I hope you don't mind my jumping in.

Hi Sheri,

I'm pretty new to these boards but they are great for supporting you in eaitng right and exercising. As to the cruising anticipation is a big part of the fun in cruising. There are some real deals out there right now so stick to WW 'cause you may be cruising before you know it.;) Mel

I have been on WW online and the at home program. I too have old material, but it has worked for me. If I could just stay on it! I started slipping in August. After my new grandbaby was born we were traveling to see her alot... every few days 3 hours each way:D, and there were quick meal stops at not so great places... then one thing led to another and the excercising went by the wayside, and here I am back to the beginning:(. I have a business trip planned for the middle of March and I have to get back into my summer clothes.. they were getting tight by the end of our recent cruise. In this economy I can't afford to buy all new clothes.. so here I go. I was wondering about the momentum program also. If it is just eating more filling foods, I would do that anyway. I'm into volume!

Wishing success for all of us!

• 2 weeks later...

HI Cruzzza,

I just started WW. I purchased the food companion and the 'dining out' guide. The kit, with a journal, and some other stuff was $24.95 I think. The books alone are $9.95. WW is a great plan.

Good luck with your pounds!!

Hi all...hope you are all doing well on your weight loss journey!

DD and I continue to do WW. We go to meetings on Tuesdays..I lost 1.6 this week and DD lost .4 She has only about 5 pounds to get to goal...I have %*@ pounds to lose! ;)

We went to the gym (why is it sooo hard to get ourselves there?) and did a "body pump" class...OMG! it kicked my butt!!! :eek:

Well we like Chik-fil-a, so today we went and got our "fix". So we ordered ONE chik-fil-a sandwich and split it, we used one packet of bbq sauce and we each got fruit on the side instead of the waffle fries (that was the hardest part :rolleyes:) We each got diet Dr. Pepper. So total of 6 points each for lunch...got in a fruit serving...and a "liquid" serving AND we got our chik-fil-a fix!;)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, count me in! I started weight watchers two weeks ago. Starting point 169.5. Week one lost 4.5 pounds. Next weigh-in is tomorrow (Wednesday). Went up north last week to visit son and grandchildren and ate Fanny May more than I should have, so don't anticipate a loss for this meeting:mad:. I would like to reach my goal by summer, but 32 pounds is a lot of weight to loose!! I did WW about 12 years ago and everything is basically the same. I agree that the Dining Out Companion is a waste of money, but by all means get the other book. It has tons of food products and brand names in it. Good Luck everyone!!!

Judi

I find the on line version more helpful than the meetings. I do go to the meetings but sometimes it does depend on the leader. I have done very well at WW and have about 7lbs more to go for my goal. I did go on a cruise in November for 10 days and gained 1.2lbs. I lost than within the week I returned home.

I find the on line version more helpful than the meetings. I do go to the meetings but sometimes it does depend on the leader. I have done very well at WW and have about 7lbs more to go for my goal. I did go on a cruise in November for 10 days and gained 1.2lbs. I lost than within the week I returned home.

That's great...keep up the good work. :)

DH and I are still doing good and we have been going to the gym faithfully about 3-4 times a week! ;)

Weighed in on the 18th and lost one pound!! That's one pound more than I thought!! I must stay away from candy!!!:o

Ha Ha! That's a little difficult with Valentines day....but now that's over and it's back to being "good"

We weigh in tomorrow (DD and I)...hopefully our workouts this past week have helped.

We sure are sore...so it's really gonna hurt, if we didn't lose. :(

I'm convinced the accountability at the meetings is the key. I don't think I could do it if not for that Thursday weigh in. lol

I am losing very slowly, but then...that's probably best. The weight didn't come on overnight and will not go away overnight. :cool:

Good luck to ALL of you both on WW and any other program. We are all in this together!

Bought the WW bread - two slices 1 point- and it is surprisingly good. I try to have a salad as much as possible, but all this lettuce is making me crazy. Did a bad thing and had fried shrimp last night. That is gonna cost me!! I'll be very good today and tomorrow...promice. Suzyed ...how'd you do?

Archived