Coral Princess to the Rescue

Pam in CA

I'm currently on the Coral Princess, sailing from Cartegena. At about 3pm ET, Captain Roger Bilton announced on the PA that he had been advised that a ship had sunk or was sinking with 14-16 people in the water about 50 miles off shore. We are sailing at full speed due north to assist in the rescue. There are two other ships on their way, one of which is closer. I believe it's a tanker. We should arrive on scene at about 5pm ET. That's all I know right now but I plan to be on deck in about 30 minutes.

I'm currently on the Coral Princess, sailing from Cartegena. At about 3pm ET, Captain Roger Bilton announced on the PA that he had been advised that a ship had sunk or was sinking with 14-16 people in the water about 50 miles off shore. We are sailing at full speed due north to assist in the rescue. There are two other ships on their way, one of which is closer. I believe it's a tanker. We should arrive on scene at about 5pm ET. That's all I know right now but I plan to be on deck in about 30 minutes.

Where at Pam?

WOW! Please keep us informed Pam. You are better than CNN!

We arrived on the scene at about 5:15pm. The Captain announced that it was a fishing vessel, the Calypso (probably a tuna fisher) that had sunk at 2am the night before and three crew members had been rescued. We joined several ships and Colombian search & rescue until about 6:30pm when it got too dark to search. The vessels were released from the search then; the Colombian air search would continue with heat technology. We are now on our way to Aruba and are expected to arrive more or less on time.

Unfortunately, the missing fishing vessel crew are probably lost. :( There are probably 12 - 13 still missing. That's a long time to be in the water.

I went to the front of deck 10 from about 4:30pm until 5:30pm. There were a few others there and man, were we going fast! Those of us on deck were almost plastered against the bulkhead until the ship slowed down and changed course. I don't think the stabilizers were out because we were bouncing all over the place. We did see some debris but have no idea of that was from the fishing boat. There were about 4 or 5 ships doing a search pattern.

I think Captain Bilton is absolutely awesome. He kept us up-to-date and informed about everything that was going on. And, he apologized for the "inconvenience."

I've got some photos of the ships searching and the officers on the bridge on the lookout which I'll post when I get home.

Cruise has been great. Sunny every single day; no rain (yet.) Excursion Desk sucks (more later on that.)

The official response from Princess (via Alan Wilson of Cruise News Daily):

The fishing vessel Calypso was reported to have sunk some 52 miles

NNW of Cartagena with 18 souls on board. Coral Princess reached the

scene at 1645 and commenced a search pattern with three other ships

and a Colombian military SAR aircraft. A fourth ship had rescued

three of the crew and was ordered to return to Barranquilla. At 1815

it was dark and Cartagena Port Control released all ships from the

search. A fishing buoy, some barrels and an empty swamped inflatable

boat were observed; however no other persons were found by Coral

Princess or the other ships. Coral Princess has now reverted back on

passage towards Aruba and is not anticipated there will be any delay

to her arrival.

Pam, I was just looking at all the cruises you have taken, and all that are coming up soon. I have to say, I'm jealous that you have the opportunity to travel so much! That's my dream!! How are you so fortunate?
The old fashioned way. I worked hard at two full-time jobs concurrently and now I get to play. I am very fortunate but as my Mom said, "You make your own luck." Which I did.

The old fashioned way. I worked hard at two full-time jobs concurrently and now I get to play. I am very fortunate but as my Mom said, "You make your own luck." Which I did.

Pam,

First, we are sorry the search was not as successful. It is a sad loss. we were hoping for a happier ending.

Second, I love your statement. You deserve your travels...enjoy...enjoy! So happy that your hard work paid off. My DH and I are hoping ours does too. (we are also old fashioned) :-)

enjoy the rest of your trip.

Happy cruising, happy life... :-)

Here, Here.:D Hard work never hurt anyone MO.:eek:

Archived