Transatlantic - QM2 or QV

flag fan

I have taken 2 transatlantic crossings on the QM2 (one in each direction) and was planning on a third next year, but just noticed that there is an 8-day crossing on the Queen Victoria. I like the idea of trying this ship for the first time but am concerned that it won't be as good an experience as the QM2 specializes in such crossings. What I enjoyed most about them are the large number of activities--even without any ports, there was always something to see or do. Can I expect the same on the Queen Victoria? For anyone who has traveled on both, which would you recommend? Any input would be appreciated.

I have taken 2 transatlantic crossings on the QM2 (one in each direction) and was planning on a third next year, but just noticed that there is an 8-day crossing on the Queen Victoria. I like the idea of trying this ship for the first time but am concerned that it won't be as good an experience as the QM2 specializes in such crossings. What I enjoyed most about them are the large number of activities--even without any ports, there was always something to see or do. Can I expect the same on the Queen Victoria? For anyone who has traveled on both, which would you recommend? Any input would be appreciated.

QM2 would be my choice but QV would also be fine, she is a nice ship but doesn't have the grandeur of her big sister. There will be things to do and I imagine that there will be lecturers on board. QE has done a TA recently so someone who travelled on her might offer advice on what was on offer then.

I was on the January QE crossing and there was plenty to do. I have not yet been on QM2 but she was built for the crossings so should be a little smoother if you encounter high seas. I'm guessing you are considering the 25 April QV crossing. Cunard is having a great sale right now on that segment of the World Voyage (8 days cheaper than 7 on QM2 for a typical crossing).

Yes, the sale is one of the things that has got me interested. An 8-day cruise for less than a 7-day crossing. That and a chance to check out a different ship. It is encouraging that the QE crossing had plenty of activities.

I will echo what Capn says, QV is a lovely ship and we had plenty to do on board but I would only cross the North Atlantic on QM2. QV slammed and shook in minor head seas when we were on board. Fine on other points of sail but those blunt bows (compared to liners) really do not like a head sea.

I've only done crossings on QM2, not QV, but I would say "go for it". It all adds to experience I think. There are likely to be almost as much going on as on QM2 (considering only one theatre and no planetarium) (and of course there is no covered pool). However, as you've had experience of QM2 on a TA (twice), don't hesitate, eight days for less than the price of seven?... Have the most wonderful time ;) :) Edited by pepperrn

We have been on QV from Ft Lauderdale to S'ton and encountered some very heavy weather on that voyage a few years ago. Really enjoyed the trip, plenty to do, but as others have said, QM2 is built for the Transatlantic crossings! It is noticeable if you encounter storms.

Enjoy Qv if you decide on that trip, there is always a lovely atmosphere on board.

I have done a B2B TA on QE, which is almost identical to QV, and on QM2. I much prefer QE, I will not be going back on QM2 unless Cunard makes some radical changes in management.

The weather you encounter is a matter of luck. As it happened, the rougher of the two crossings I did was on QM2.

I was also on a QE (virtually identical to QV) crossing and everything was the same except the ship architecture. I think the QV crossing is a part of the World Cruise so you should expect a very nice activities program.

Roy

I am sure that QM2 will afford a better crossing, especially if the weather is rough, but personally I prefer QE or QV. The Grills, for me, are much nicer on QV / QE, and as just indicated on another topic the QM2 buffet leaves much to be desired. I have experienced TA's on both QV and QE and there was always well arranged activities / lectures etc. As always it is down to personal taste.

QM2 would be my choice but QV would also be fine, she is a nice ship but doesn't have the grandeur of her big sister. There will be things to do and I imagine that there will be lecturers on board. QE has done a TA recently so someone who travelled on her might offer advice on what was on offer then.

I was on the QE this year for the Start of the World Cruise to Manhattan, doing the first segment Southampton to New York. I must agree with capnpugwash's statement.

Indeed some good lectures, Ellen Baker with Working and Living in space, Joyce Gold, When Manhattan was Dutch, Whales and Dolphins, Bernard Purrier. etc.

I personally prefer QV to QE as i find the decor that much lighter, however you just cannot beat the magnificent QM2.

You will only find out which you prefer by travelling on her.

We have been across the Atlantic a few times on the Q.M2, and have travelled in tandem with the Q.V. across to Florida, speaking to people who travelled on the Q.V. they said a lot of passengers had been sick. The Q.M2 is a Liner and the Q.V. is a Cruise Ship a big difference, we have done 9 cruises on the Q.V we love the ship, great staff and plenty to do, but the Atlantic is the Atlantic.

I am travelling on QM2 in August transatlantic and very excited about it. I was fortunate to travel on QV in June and she was fantastic. I'm sure you will notice the seas more but I'm sure you will enjoy the ship. Here is my review http://pictureherethereandeverywhere.blogspot.com/2014/06/queen-victoria-baltic-adventure.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Queen Victoria looks great in the pictures. The biggest drawback I see to the QV is no promenade deck that circles the ship--early morning walks around the QM2 was one of my favorite activities on past crossings. But I am reassured by all the positive comments, particularly about the number of activities that will be available. To minimize the rough seas I may opt for a lower deck (but I am sort of looking forward to perhaps experiencing some rough seas on the Atlantic). The Queen Victoria looks like a good choice for me; now I just have to figure if the time of year of the sailing will work. Thanks for all the comments; they have been very helpful.

I have been on crossings on the original Queen Elizabeth, QE2, QM2, and QE but have not not been on QV for a crossing. However, we had a wonderful crossing on QE, and I imagine the daily programme will be similar. There always seemed to be something going on, and I didn't get to do half as much reading as I had planned to as we were usually engaged in some interesting activity.

We encountered some rough weather, but apart from a light fixture coming down in the Commodore Club, QE seemed to handle it well. Here is my video taken from the Commodore Club and pub:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=79YKK88HER4.

QM2 certainly is fabulous for a crossing, but I would not hesitate to book on QE or QV if they were an option for our next crossing.

Edited by safarigal

QV is a cruise ship, QM2 is an ocean liner with the sturdy hull and speed to match. A proper northern TA should be done on an ocean liner.

If you are going the southern route, then okay to QV.

Its not rocket science, QM2 is the only Ocean Liner purpose built for Atlantic Crossings. However some of us prefer some more excitement and will cross on normal ships. In my case NCL Breakaway, Epic, Freds Balmoral, QE etc. Its all fun fun fun. But we all return to QM2. Its being at sea thats the fun!!!!

Edited by Pennbank

I have been on crossings on the original Queen Elizabeth, QE2, QM2, and QE but have not not been on QV for a crossing. However, we had a wonderful crossing on QE, and I imagine the daily programme will be similar. There always seemed to be something going on, and I didn't get to do half as much reading as I had planned to as we were usually engaged in some interesting activity.

We encountered some rough weather, but apart from a light fixture coming down in the Commodore Club, QE seemed to handle it well. Here is my video taken from the Commodore Club and pub:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=79YKK88HER4.

QM2 certainly is fabulous for a crossing, but I would not hesitate to book on QE or QV if they were an option for our next crossing.

Great video! It reminded me of our QE January crossing.

We've been on the QE (not a crossing) and the QM2 (crossings and elsewhere) and I have to say we would always pick the QM2 first and foremost for any voyage, anywhere.

Not to say the QE (almost identical to the QV) was "bad" in any way. To the contrary, we liked sailing on her very much.

We just love the QM2 best of all...

Have a great time, whichever ship you choose!

Great video! It reminded me of our QE January crossing.

These will remind you of the QE's 2014 winter crossing even more. Enjoy!:D

As for the OP's original question re. the QM2 vs the QV (and QE) on a transatlantic voyage:

Yes, I know the QM2 is a proper ocean liner whereas the QV and QE are cruise ships--Fincantieri tin cans at that--masquerading as liners. And yes, the QM2 will take you through the roughest North Atlantic storm with ease (or with as much ease as any ship since the United States, bar the QE2, could), whereas the QV/QE will slow down to a laughable nine knots and wallow in the swell. But... But... a purely subjective opinion: On the whole I prefer the QE (and, by extension, would probably prefer the QV) to QM2.

Edited by Post Captain