Illness-causing insect in the Caribbean

Sag13

Is anyone concerned about the insect which is found in the Caribbean Islands?

The insect causes high fever and joint pain. Some of our states have found that people traveling to the Caribbean bring this to the U.S.

We are planning a cruise for November and are considering canceling. Any thoughts?

It's called a mosquito. That's the carrier of Chickungunya. If you are fearful take some spray with deet along. I'm not concerned at this point. We've been to St. Maarten (the hardest hit so far) and never had an issue with mosquitos, but if you are concerned, just use some deet spray or towelettes.

We were in the Caribbean in June. We did not see one mosquito. This situation is like many others, the media has hyped it up. Of course there is a chance, but it is not as bad as they make you believe it is. We even spoke to many locals while we were in st Maartin, st Lucia, st kitts, and Barbados. They are not even slightly concerned. In my opinion canceling your cruise is extreme.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Is anyone concerned about the insect which is found in the Caribbean Islands?

The insect causes high fever and joint pain. Some of our states have found that people traveling to the Caribbean bring this to the U.S.

We are planning a cruise for November and are considering canceling. Any thoughts?

I am not concerned although, being aware of these things is good. Bring some deet if you feel worried. I just read a statistic that over 350,000 people have come down with this, and 21 have died. Not to say the 21 don't matter, but that is a very low statistic. And when you take into account, that people who die from things like this, generally have an underlying medical condition, not always though, it does not concern me. I think there are just as many other things that are easy to catch, here there and everywhere. A very small part of my job is disease reporting, and while the majority of people in the USA have reported Caribbean travel, they have found the first case of a US person, who did not travel. That was in southern Florida. But I am by no means an expert on this or other diseases. If you do have concerns talk to your doctor

In our 5 cruises, I have never seen a skeeto. Almost no bugs either, except a few spiders.

It's called a mosquito. That's the carrier of Chickungunya. If you are fearful take some spray with deet along. I'm not concerned at this point. We've been to St. Maarten (the hardest hit so far) and never had an issue with mosquitos, but if you are concerned, just use some deet spray or towelettes.

Where did you get this info from? The correct info needs to be reported. Please post your source. Thanks

Where did you get this info from? The correct info needs to be reported. Please post your source. Thanks

Any good national or international health site will have it. Chikungunya has been on the loose in the Caribbean since about Dec 2013. Carried by 2 species at least of Aedes mosquitoes, both present in the Caribbean (and US).

The odds of a casual visitor getting it are not high. However, the fact that many people "never see a mosquito" (I have never seen one in five Caribbean trips) does not mean that they don't exist. I'm sure there are Aedes albopictatus in my back yard right now (Ohio) and I've been bitten this summer. They just aren't carrying the disease. Yet.

Doesn't look to me as if Antigua is a hotbed at this time.

Any good national or international health site will have it. Chikungunya has been on the loose in the Caribbean since about Dec 2013. Carried by 2 species at least of Aedes mosquitoes, both present in the Caribbean (and US).

The odds of a casual visitor getting it are not high. However, the fact that many people "never see a mosquito" (I have never seen one in five Caribbean trips) does not mean that they don't exist. I'm sure there are Aedes albopictatus in my back yard right now (Ohio) and I've been bitten this summer. They just aren't carrying the disease. Yet.

Doesn't look to me as if Antigua is a hotbed at this time.

I'm looking for a source from that poster for a reason. What they posted is not an opinion on which beach to go to but a so called fact as to which Caribbean island has the most Chikunguya cases. Asking for a source is a nice way of asking them to back up what they have posted.

Now here is an observation that may be or may not be helpful to those traveling to Antigua in the future. We stayed at the Pineapple Resort on Long Bay in mid-Feb of this year and they fogged for mosquitoes about 5 times during the week. They started at one side of the resort and slowly made there way through the resort and along the beach as well. This happened at 5 pm, therefore you would be off of the beach by then so it wouldn't affect your day. Just thought that I would put this out there. I can not speak for now or for other resorts but this was the Pineapples procedure in February.

Edited by Karysa

I'm looking for a source from that poster for a reason. What they posted is not an opinion on which beach to go to but a so called fact as to which Caribbean island has the most Chikunguya cases. Asking for a source is a nice way of asking them to back up what they have posted.

Now here is an observation that may be or may not be helpful to those traveling to Antigua in the future. We stayed at the Pineapple Resort on Long Bay in mid-Feb of this year and they fogged for mosquitoes about 5 times during the week. They started at one side of the resort and slowly made there way through the resort and along the beach as well. This happened at 5 pm, therefore you would be off of the beach by then so it wouldn't affect your day. Just thought that I would put this out there. I can not speak for now or for other resorts but this was the Pineapples procedure in February.

Yes it is important to have facts to back up the statement, but as the poster said, it's all over the internet. I have read it many different places. But I don't feel the need to back up every single thing I say with a footnote, esp when it is pretty common knowledge. As to which island has the most cases, consider that most cases aren't reported, there are hot spots, but as to actual factual real hard data to find the hottest hot spot. No one will really know for sure. Nice to know that resort you were on is being proactive, and thanks for sharing that, hopefully more people are being as proactive in the bug fights.

Yes it is important to have facts to back up the statement, but as the poster said, it's all over the internet. I have read it many different places. But I don't feel the need to back up every single thing I say with a footnote, esp when it is pretty common knowledge. As to which island has the most cases, consider that most cases aren't reported, there are hot spots, but as to actual factual real hard data to find the hottest hot spot. No one will really know for sure. Nice to know that resort you were on is being proactive, and thanks for sharing that, hopefully more people are being as proactive in the bug fights.

St. Martin reported the first case in the Caribbean that is the truth as we know it but saying in July of 2014 that it is the island that has been " hardest hit" by Chikunguya is misinformation. That is just not the truth. Do you not know that either seashinesunshine? Interesting to me. I would suggest looking into this a little farther especially if you plan on doing some upcoming travel in the Caribbean. You may find yourself very surprised to see what you find out.

St. Martin reported the first case in the Caribbean that is the truth as we know it but saying in July of 2014 that it is the island that has been " hardest hit" by Chikunguya is misinformation. That is just not the truth. Do you not know that either seashinesunshine? Interesting to me. I would suggest looking into this a little farther especially if you plan on doing some upcoming travel in the Caribbean. You may find yourself very surprised to see what you find out.

The point of my reply is that you need to chill out. I am not the one that said St Marten is the hardest hit, but I have read that on the CDC and several news sites. Maybe it has changed since the disease is spreading, I don't know or care. But it sounds like you are the most informed of all of us. You just stated that it is not true that St Marten is the hardest hit, however YOU did not quote your source, so you must also be handing out false information.

Someone asked a question, a few of us gave some answers as we believed the answers to be.

I work with bacteria and skeeto borne disease so I really doubt I am going to be surprised by anything, I have done research.

Edited by seashinesunshine

The point of my reply is that you need to chill out. I am not the one that said St Marten is the hardest hit, but I have read that on the CDC and several news sites. Maybe it has changed since the disease is spreading, I don't know or care. But it sounds like you are the most informed of all of us. You just stated that it is not true that St Marten is the hardest hit, however YOU did not quote your source, so you must also be handing out false information.

Someone asked a question, a few of us gave some answers as we believed the answers to be.

I work with bacteria and skeeto borne disease so I really doubt I am going to be surprised by anything, I have done research.

Didn't know that actual sources were allowed on cc anymore and hear say and rumors it was!

Here is one source.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140701-chikungunya-caribbean-mosquitoes-world-health/

Edited by Karysa

The point of my reply is that you need to chill out. I am not the one that said St Marten is the hardest hit, but I have read that on the CDC and several news sites. Maybe it has changed since the disease is spreading, I don't know or care.

I've read the same and it's not even the whole of St Maarten but the french side of the Island ! I think I read it here on CC maybe in the St.Maarten-Branch. I was there in march and normally mosquis like me but I even forgot my deet-spray and was not bitten during my visit on St.Maarten (and on any other island).

What you should consider Mosquitos are mostly activ during dusk and dawn and normally on a cruise you will not be on an island at this time of the day.

But having said that, If you are really scared and it might ruin your holiday by always thinking "what if.." you should cancel your trip (and stay home) then "we" have more space in the caribbean:D:D:D

I've read the same and it's not even the whole of St Maarten but the french side of the Island ! I think I read it here on CC maybe in the St.Maarten-Branch. I was there in march and normally mosquis like me but I even forgot my deet-spray and was not bitten during my visit on St.Maarten (and on any other island).

What you should consider Mosquitos are mostly activ during dusk and dawn and normally on a cruise you will not be on an island at this time of the day.

But having said that, If you are really scared and it might ruin your holiday by always thinking "what if.." you should cancel your trip (and stay home) then "we" have more space in the caribbean:D:D:D

You are correct in saying that the French side of St. Martin is documented as having more cases of Chikunguya than the Dutch side of the island. Some think that it's under reporting from the Dutch side. Some think it's because of stepped up fogging and increased vigilance on the Dutch side. Given the statistics that Guadelope and Martinique had tens of thousands of cases each and it is well known on the island that many people from Guadelope and Martinique travel to St. Martin for both business and pleasure that would probably need to be taken into consideration as well. Many tourists travel between both sides of the island visiting sites, beaches and restaurants but on my visits to the island on vacation over the last many years I have noticed that the islanders don't appear to do this nearly as much as one would think. Truly just an observation on my part and that of my very inquisitive husband.;)

Just since you seem interested because you are reading this thread. From what I have read on the Pan Am Health Organization website and from the national geographics and other sites, the vector of mosquitoe carrying Chikunguya is a day time biter. (correct me if I am wrong please). I know of one for sure bite that I got in Marigot, French St. Martin while shopping in town on a hot sunny July day just over a week ago. I have no symptoms of Chikunguya as of yet.

Also take a look at the link I put in my last post. The chart listing the number of cases in many Caribbean islands will update your knowledge on just where this virus appears to be taking hold right now. Well in June, as that is the latest statistics that was available from the Pan-American Health Organization prior to the July 1st publication of the article. It does not therefore mention the locally acquired Florida cases that were reported within the last couple of weeks.

I am currently planning on returning to the Caribbean in February and am deciding between an AI or a cruise and that is why I am interested in following this subject so that I can make an informed decision for my family. I am also not great at putting on insect repellant in the Caribbean and this seems to be a family trait. I have learned to put on sunscreen so perhaps there is still hope for me yet.:)

Thank you for your responses and excellent information. At this time, I do not think the Caribbean is the place for us. I have a severe case of Crohn's disease and my doctor always advises me to be careful because my immunity is poor.

Having been to the islands many times in the past, I think we will cruise elsewhere this time.

This mosquito already made it to the US. Let me rephrase that. They are humans testing positive for Chikunguya in several states through the eastern and southern US. That being said, mosquitos are transmitting it from human to human.

From what I have read on the Pan Am Health Organization website and from the national geographics and other sites, the vector of mosquitoe carrying Chikunguya is a day time biter. (correct me if I am wrong please).

Correct. Aedes aegyptii and Aedes albopictus are the culprits.

They are versatile, aggressive insects whose feeding habits are highly opportunistic. Preferred feeding is dawn or dusk but they hang around all day on walls, shrubbery, etc, and if you get close enough to trigger their senses (CO2, infrared radiation), they will be happy to drop in for a bite anytime it isn't too cold or windy to fly.

They like to breed in stagnant water, which humans are often happy to provide, along with a reservoir for the virus, plenty of surfaces to rest on and plenty of blood for snacking.

Open windy areas with no resting places, such as beaches, are unfriendly environments for mosquitoes.

Correct. Aedes aegyptii and Aedes albopictus are the culprits.

They are versatile, aggressive insects whose feeding habits are highly opportunistic. Preferred feeding is dawn or dusk but they hang around all day on walls, shrubbery, etc, and if you get close enough to trigger their senses (CO2, infrared radiation), they will be happy to drop in for a bite anytime it isn't too cold or windy to fly.

They like to breed in stagnant water, which humans are often happy to provide, along with a reservoir for the virus, plenty of surfaces to rest on and plenty of blood for snacking.

Open windy areas with no resting places, such as beaches, are unfriendly environments for mosquitoes.

That is what I have read as well. I did read that they are active in the day so places with some shelter like washrooms and restaurants, on hikes, in town, busses, waiting in a line between the ships when reboarding would be places where you are more likely to find these mosquitoes compared to at a windy beach or out on the water. I did not encounter any mosquitoes at the beach ever to the best of my knowledge.

One more thing Lady Graystoke, some articles say early morning and late afternoon rather than dusk and dawn is this true to your knowledge.

Edited by Karysa

For those interested in knowing the website I read where the mosquitoes responsible for the transmission of Chikunguya was the WHO ( WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION ) and this is the site that stated that early morning and late afternoon were active times for these mosquitoes but they could bite anytime during the dusk to dawn period. I would hope that this is a reliable source.

Thanks for the info. Good to know, but I will still be going on my cruise. I will definitely bring some repellant though.

I do appreciate and understand however that someone with a compromised immune system might want to stay away.

Edited by SMSACE6

For those interested in knowing the website I read where the mosquitoes responsible for the transmission of Chikunguya was the WHO ( WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION ) and this is the site that stated that early morning and late afternoon were active times for these mosquitoes but they could bite anytime during the dusk to dawn period. I would hope that this is a reliable source.

Correction: Dawn to Dusk is what I meant to say.

One more thing Lady Graystoke, some articles say early morning and late afternoon rather than dusk and dawn is this true to your knowledge.

Yes. They tend to look for meals during these times. However the places they rest between flying tend to be close to human populations, so if a human triggers their senses they will bite when the opportunity presents itself, whether it's noon or midnight. It just needs to be warm enough to fly and not too windy.