Singapore to the United States

rkacruiser

I am considering a cruise that would end in Singapore.

In my initial researching of flight options home, I am surprised at the lack of non-stop options to the United States. I have found that only United has a non-stop from Singapore to Chicago O'Hare with a departure time from Singapore of 6:00 A. M. My gosh, one ought to be at the airport at 3:00 A. M., I would think.

I thought that Singapore Air had non-stops into LAX and/or EWR. Their web site does not show any.

They do show flights that indicate the same flight number and aircraft that make stops/layovers at Hong Kong, Japan, or Korea of varying lengths of time--mostly 65 minutes or so--before flying to a United States city. If one would book such a flight, what are the passengers expected to do? Disembark/reimbark? Remain on board? Help to clean and re-stock the aircraft:D? I assume that there would be a crew change as well during such times.

Are there other airlines that I have not discovered that offer non-stops? Or, is United the only one at the present time?

Thank you for your advice and information!

The United flight is not nonstop. It's a direct flight via Hong Kong. Singapore Airlines ended their nonstop (which was business class only) EWR flight. I believe their LAX flight only goes via Tokyo. Basically, Singapore is a very long way from the US, and the economics of ultra long haul flights are very poor. Expect to change planes somewhere in Asia.

When your flight has a stopover you must disembark the plane. It's a good opportunity to walk around the airport to stretch your legs before the next sector of the flight. When you're travelling long distances like that you must expect stopovers.

I doubt that you would find any airline that would fly non-stop to the US from Singapore.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

When your flight has a stopover you must disembark the plane. It's a good opportunity to walk around the airport to stretch your legs before the next sector of the flight. When you're travelling long distances like that you must expect stopovers.

I doubt that you would find any airline that would fly direct to the US from Singapore.

The United flight is direct. It's not nonstop. Very different terms that can cause confusion, especially here where OP thinks the flight is nonstop when it's absolutely only direct.

The United flight is direct. It's not nonstop. Very different terms that can cause confusion, especially here where OP thinks the flight is nonstop when it's absolutely only direct.

My bad :(. I have edited my post to clarify the issue.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thanks for this input! I will have to re-look at the United web site because it certainly did not show at my initial glance that there was a stop enroute. Singapore Airlines clearly did show such a stop, as did the other sites that I checked, i.e. Delta.

What about my concern about the 6:00 A. M. departure time? To need to arrive at the airport at such an early hour seems very unreasonable. Is the 3 hours before departure for international flights no longer the standard for check-in?

Singapore Airlines has a flight from Singapore to Houston with a one hour stop in Moscow!

I have visited a tiny area of Russia. I enjoyed what I saw and the Russian people with whom I met. At this time in world affairs, I have no desire to return to this nation again and leave any dollars in their cash drawers.

SQ used to fly non-stop to EWR and LAX with their A 340-500 a/c. Initially with business + premium economy classes then with business class only. Still couldn't make that profitable a go of it so all 5 345s have been parked/returned to Airbus. To fly that distance, a huge proportion of fuel is burned just to fly more fuel that's consumed later in flight, vs shorter flights where more fuel is used to propel more of the a/c, pax, bags and cargo.

I heard the flights wre some 16 hours which is absurdly long. Wouldn't want to do that in business let alone economy.

TG (Thai Airways) tried a couple of routes n/s out of BKK to New York and/or Los Angeles. Just 2 similar A340-500 a/c and rumour was that they were losing the cost of 1 aircraft a year. Reason they did this? A Thai princess was studying in the U.S. and this route was for her and her family's convenience.

Edited by cruising cockroach

What about my concern about the 6:00 A. M. departure time? To need to arrive at the airport at such an early hour seems very unreasonable. Is the 3 hours before departure for international flights no longer the standard for check-in?

Probably 4 am is good enough. It'll be tight but doable.

It is time for you to get to know this wonderful tool called ITA matrix. It shows most (not all-- but lots!) of flights available. I did a fast search for Singapore to Chicago and for one way flight as low as $954.

The way I like to study possibilities is to use the time bar feature and it shows layovers and flight segments in an easy to read format. Singapore is so far that you really can go EAST or WEST but you will make more than one touch down. Now you have some things to consider: Cost or time the most important or some other factor? You might not get all you want so once you know possibilities will have to rank them. On trips that at best take over 14 hours, I look for breaking points and go to a hotel near the airport for a rest of 8 to 23 hours. A layover is 23 or less hours and usually does not cost more while 24 hours or more is a stopover and can cost lots! I am not happy with LESS THAN 2 to 2 1/2 hours layover to change planes but look for short layovers if I stay on the same plane. The flight from IAD (Washington DC) to Tokyo continues on to Singapore and that might be what you were saying was a non-stop -- it is direct!

Now comes the fun. Start playing on ITA with all the different combinations and find out what will work. Major hubs from USA seem to be Seoul Korea/Tokyo/Beijing/ Hong Kong? for across ocean and then on to where you want to be. Hate that 6 AM -- find a flight to somewhere else that will leave later and then pick up the next leg. Try out different combinations for price. In the trip I am planning, IAD to NRT (Tokyo ) roundtrip is almost $900 more than IAD to CGK (Jakarta) the closest hub airport to my port of Bali (and 7 additional hours of flight) with return from Tokyo after the cruise. Makes no sense but that is the way it is.

Good luck in your quest. If you need help, people on this forum are really good to help you figure it out. Post your preferences and people will chime in.

Buy your tickets from the supplier (like United) and if you need real help call a real person at the airline even if there is a small fee. No fee until you buy!

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Thanks for this input! I will have to re-look at the United web site because it certainly did not show at my initial glance that there was a stop enroute. Singapore Airlines clearly did show such a stop, as did the other sites that I checked, i.e. Delta.

Yeah 3:30am would be about my arrival time. No later than 4:00am. That's not too unreasonable. If it is, that's not the flight for you.

I am considering a cruise that would end in Singapore.

In my initial researching of flight options home, I am surprised at the lack of non-stop options to the United States. I have found that only United has a non-stop from Singapore to Chicago O'Hare with a departure time from Singapore of 6:00 A. M. My gosh, one ought to be at the airport at 3:00 A. M., I would think.

I thought that Singapore Air had non-stops into LAX and/or EWR. Their web site does not show any.

They do show flights that indicate the same flight number and aircraft that make stops/layovers at Hong Kong, Japan, or Korea of varying lengths of time--mostly 65 minutes or so--before flying to a United States city. If one would book such a flight, what are the passengers expected to do? Disembark/reimbark? Remain on board? Help to clean and re-stock the aircraft:D? I assume that there would be a crew change as well during such times.

Are there other airlines that I have not discovered that offer non-stops? Or, is United the only one at the present time?

Thank you for your advice and information!

Not trying to pry, but where does the cruise start?

For many pax east of the Mississippi, Singapore Airlines' A380 service from JFK to Frankfurt, connecting to a second Singapore flight to SIN, is considerably faster than going via the Pacific. Coming back (which I know is what you want to do) it's about a wash whether you come via the Atlantic or the Pacific, since you always have tailwinds heading east, headwinds heading west.

Not trying to pry, but where does the cruise start?

For many pax east of the Mississippi, Singapore Airlines' A380 service from JFK to Frankfurt, connecting to a second Singapore flight to SIN, is considerably faster than going via the Pacific. Coming back (which I know is what you want to do) it's about a wash whether you come via the Atlantic or the Pacific, since you always have tailwinds heading east, headwinds heading west.

Looking at the OP's other posts, it seems they're considering this South Pacific repo cruise with HAL, departing Seattle.

When I first saw this thread that FRA flight was the first I thought of. Honestly, I wouldn't want to do SIN-North America in one flight anyways.

Edited by Twickenham

Looking at the OP's other posts, it seems they're considering this South Pacific repo cruise with HAL, departing Seattle.

When I first saw this thread that FRA flight was the first I thought of. Honestly, I wouldn't want to do SIN-North America in one flight anyways.

Ah. Well in that case I'd probably go buy 35,000 Alaska Airlines miles (around $900) and redeem them for a one-way premium economy seat on Cathay Pacific, including a free stopover in Hong Kong if so desired. Or, I'd go to American Airlines and buy 55,000 miles (with a 20% discount this month, so around $1200) and do the same on either Cathay, Japan Airlines or AA itself (or any combination) for a business class seat.

After a wonderful cruise like that, the thought of returning from Singapore in coach just makes by brain hurt, never mind my tuckus.

Ah. Well in that case I'd probably go buy 35,000 Alaska Airlines miles (around $900) and redeem them for a one-way premium economy seat on Cathay Pacific, including a free stopover in Hong Kong if so desired. Or, I'd go to American Airlines and buy 55,000 miles (with a 20% discount this month, so around $1200) and do the same on either Cathay, Japan Airlines or AA itself (or any combination) for a business class seat.

After a wonderful cruise like that, the thought of returning from Singapore in coach just makes by brain hurt, never mind my tuckus.

I hear ya. MamaTwick & I just did R/T to Europe in business, and we both agree there's no way we're doing a trans-ocean flight in the back of the bus again...

Plenty of time to figure out the miles for business-class award tickets. CC sign-up bonuses, transfer promos, mile-purchase sales... have a look at them all!

I've only flown Delta and United from Singapore and both left at approximately 6 am. Many flights from the US to Singapore arrive at 1 or 1:30 am, so we have sleep deprivation on both ends!:o
The flight from SIN to NRT is almost as far as JFK-LHR, over 3300 miles. So there needs to be plenty of time to allow it to make the eastbound bank leaving NRT in the afternoon to the USA.

The afternoon departure from NRT is so that arrivals in the USA are in the morning, allowing for connects to the East Coast.

And yes....the Pacific is BIG!!

I hear ya. MamaTwick & I just did R/T to Europe in business, and we both agree there's no way we're doing a trans-ocean flight in the back of the bus again...

Plenty of time to figure out the miles for business-class award tickets. CC sign-up bonuses, transfer promos, mile-purchase sales... have a look at them all!

I hear you.....

Last year we bought 65,000 miles for $2K during Avianca's every-third-month 100% mileage bonus sale (gave us 130,000 miles). That $2K investment netted us two biz class tickets home on Singapore Air from PER-SFO (via SIN/HKG).

For transoceanic flights, give me First/Biz or give me death! :eek:

And yes....the Pacific is BIG!!

Reminds me of a comment by Len Morgan, a retired Braniff 747 captain and columnist for Flying magazine. He talked about transPac flights where they would fly all day at Mach 0.85 and still not be "across".

Please forgive me if one thinks that this is an ignorant perception.

The schedule for SQ2 shows a layover of 65 minutes in Hong Kong during its flight on the web site of Singapore Airlines.

I assume, as a continuing passenger to SFO, that I would reboard the same aircraft, in the same assigned seat from SIN, without having to consider this continuation of my journey as a totally new flight.

I understand that deplaning at whatever airport is involved, be it HKG or some other airport, on such an itinerary for a long flight is desirable, I just want to make sure that I understand what is really involved with this. Expecting to return to my original seat on the same aircraft and leaving my carry-on luggage on board near my seat is what I think I ought to expect.

Correct?

Please forgive me if one thinks that this is an ignorant perception.

The schedule for SQ2 shows a layover of 65 minutes in Hong Kong during its flight on the web site of Singapore Airlines.

I assume, as a continuing passenger to SFO, that I would reboard the same aircraft, in the same assigned seat from SIN, without having to consider this continuation of my journey as a totally new flight.

I understand that deplaning at whatever airport is involved, be it HKG or some other airport, on such an itinerary for a long flight is desirable, I just want to make sure that I understand what is really involved with this. Expecting to return to my original seat on the same aircraft and leaving my carry-on luggage on board near my seat is what I think I ought to expect.

Correct?

I've flown on the SFO-HKG SQ2 route only and it is the same plane continuing to SIN. The FAs will request pax continuing on to SIN remain in their seats until the HKG pax get off. Unfortunately more times than not the FA will announce that those continuing to SIN remain on board so that new pax can board quickly to make up some flight time. Talk about "hot seating":rolleyes:

Flying through NRT and HKG (even if changing planes) is remarkably efficient on either SQ or UA. They do a great job of shuffling people through. SQ and UA have a huge connecting passenger population and they time the flights quite well. If you are worried be sure your connection from NRT is not the last flight of the evening. For example if you are scheduled to fly NRT-LAX, make sure that you still have another option leaving say NRT-SFO.

I've done the trip to Singapore a few times the last year and a half. From JFK to HK and then on to Singapore on Cathay all in business class. Terrific flight, excellent crew...That 15 hours JFK to HK can be a bit daunting the first time but I just try not to look at my watch much. Return flight also excellent. Another time did Singapore A380 over but from Zurich and loved it. Only about 12 hours. Returned on United from Singapore to Tokyo to JFK. No comparison to Singapore or Cathay...so far below them on the seats themselves, the service etc. Would not do that again.

Haven't tried American on that side of the globe. Have done their new 777 with the same 1-2-1 configuration as Cathay from JFK to London and back a number of times now and it's excellent. Even the cabin crew and food have been comparable to the Asian carriers. My first choice now for crossing the Atlantic.

I've done the trip to Singapore a few times the last year and a half. From JFK to HK and then on to Singapore on Cathay all in business class. Terrific flight, excellent crew...That 15 hours JFK to HK can be a bit daunting the first time but I just try not to look at my watch much. Return flight also excellent. Another time did Singapore A380 over but from Zurich and loved it. Only about 12 hours. Returned on United from Singapore to Tokyo to JFK. No comparison to Singapore or Cathay...so far below them on the seats themselves, the service etc. Would not do that again.

Haven't tried American on that side of the globe. Have done their new 777 with the same 1-2-1 configuration as Cathay from JFK to London and back a number of times now and it's excellent. Even the cabin crew and food have been comparable to the Asian carriers. My first choice now for crossing the Atlantic.

Where does the OP state that they will be traveling in premium cabins? Based on the tone of the original tone I get the opinion that the OP will be traveling in economy. When traveling economy there are minimal differences between the carriers on Asian routes. If anything I give the nod to the US carriers since, for a small fee, you can reserve a seat in economy that has additional inches of legroom, which can be a lifesaver on a long transpacific flight.

There are no two ways about it, SIN is a really long way away from the US. If you are traveling in economy on the end of cruise you will have a bummer of an ending being jammed in like cattle.