2007 Seattle Transportation Info for Cruisers

Here is a list of Seattle's public transportation options that are most useful for cruisers:

-Seattle has two cruise piers, Pier 66 (aka Bell Street Cruise Terminal) and Terminal 30. Pier 66 is normally used by Celebrity and NCL. Terminal 30 is normally used by Princess and HAL. RCCL splits between the two. However, sometimes they move things around, so check the Port of Seattle website (www.portseattle.org) to find out where your ship will be. Parking and car rental services are available at both piers, as is luggage storage service. Pier 66 is within walking distance to Pike Place Market and downtown Seattle (assuming you don't have luggage). You can walk to Pioneer Square from Terminal 30, but it's a bit of a hike--your best bet will be a taxi or shuttle to get from Terminal 30 to anywhere. You may have read that Terminal 30 will be closing and a new cruise facility is being built at Terminal 90--this won't be open until at least 2008.

-Seattle has no subway system, but does have a decent bus system. Within the downtown core, buses are free and run on almost every street. If you need to get from Seattle Center to downtown Seattle, consider taking Bus #3 or #4, which stop on 5th Avenue by Seattle Center and then head over to 3rd Avenue in downtown Seattle. If you're not sure which bus to take, just ask a driver--most of them know the whole system pretty well. You can even take a bus from the airport to downtown Seattle if you're so inclined (the #174 or #194). But, there is no bus that stops at Terminal 30. Visit transit.metrokc.gov for fare and schedule information, including a customized trip planner.

-The Waterfront Streetcar was hopefully going to be running again in time for the Alaska cruise season, but it hasn't started back up yet. Before it shut down (because the land where its maintenance shed was located was being converted into a sculpture park), fares were about $1 or $1.50 per person, so I would expect them to be the same once it starts running again. In the meantime, the transit authority is running a free (that's right, FREE!) replacement bus along the route that the trolley normally takes. It's Bus #99 and it's painted green and cream like the trolleys are. It stops right by Pier 66, but not Terminal 30, and goes to Pioneer Square, which is our historic district.

-The Monorail is back in service again after quite a bit of mechanical and other problems in 2006. Fares are $2 for adults each way (more expensive than the bus). It runs from Seattle Center to Downtown Seattle and back, making it convenient for tourists who want to go to the Space Needle or EMP from downtown Seattle, but don't want to take the bus.

-The bus tunnel will remain closed for the duration of the 2007 Alaska cruise season. It's being updated with new light rail tracks and some other features for when light rail finally comes to Seattle in (supposedly) 2009. Buses that used to run in the tunnel have been rerouted to 3rd Avenue, which is a bus-only zone during rush hour. Cops are out in force to ticket drivers (and jaywalkers).

-To get from SeaTac to the cruise pier, you have a couple of options. A taxi will cost you roughly $30 to either of the piers and is probably the most convenient option. Or, you can take a shuttle (we're not allowed to recommend them here, but there's only one big operator in town), which will run you about $25 per person for a couple, or about $80 for a van that seats 10.

-To get from SeaTac to downtown, you could do a taxi or shuttle at about the same cost as it would be to go to the cruise piers. Or, there's also a private bus service that stops at several of the downtown hotels and costs about $10 per person. Or for those who packed very light, there's the Metro bus--catch it outside the south end of the main terminal.

Yes, just tell them Pier 30 and which ship you'll be on--there's two entrances to the Pier 30 complex, and you'll have a little less walking to do if they take you to the entrance closes to your ship. Princess usually uses the north entrance and HAL usually uses the south entrance.

Beth,

We will have a group of girlfriends going on the Mercury Oct. 1. Thank you so much for posting this information. I was just starting to do some research when I found this thread.

We have a 10:00 am flight to catch the morning we disembark. We plan to carry our laggage off the ship with us. Will there be transportation at pier 66 around 8:00 am do you think.

Does the private bus service you mentioned (at around 10.00 pp) go to pier 66? Where would we meet up with them at Sea-Tac?

Sorry for all of the questions! Thank you so much, it will be crazy trying to get a bunch of girlfriends going the same direction!:eek:

Hi there! Unfortunately, I don't think that bus stops at Pier 66, or at either of the hotels by Pier 66. But there will be plenty of cabs waiting to take people getting off the ship, and that'll be faster than doing the bus anyway, and you'll need to really be booking it to catch a 10AM flight...that gives me heartburn just thinking about making that connection, but if there are no delays going through customs, it could be doable. Coming from the airport, you meet the downtown airporter bus at the far south end of the terminal, that's also where their ticket booth is.

I organized a girls' trip on a Mexican Riviera cruise last fall, so I feel your pain in getting everyone on the same page--glad I can help a little! I hope you have a fantastic cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

We are five adults with lots of baggage. We are staying for one night at Residence Inn Lake Union. I understand we can take shuttle express to the hotel. The problem is getting to Pier 66 the next day. Can anyone help? I would have to have three taxis, two towncars, or one large van. I can't seem to find a quote for a large van. Any help would be appreciated. I have already called the hotel but they cannot help.

Shuttle Express can't do it for you? I thought they'd shuttle people to cruise piers as well as the airport...otherwise, I'd just call the taxi company that morning and let them know you'll need two minivans.

We are five adults with lots of baggage. We are staying for one night at Residence Inn Lake Union. I understand we can take shuttle express to the hotel. The problem is getting to Pier 66 the next day. Can anyone help? I would have to have three taxis, two towncars, or one large van. I can't seem to find a quote for a large van. Any help would be appreciated. I have already called the hotel but they cannot help.

Are you sure Shuttle Express can't take you? We're staying at the same hotel (3ad-2ch) and they offered us a van (up to 10 persons) for $79.00 + tip/ hotel-pier 30. I called the hotel and they referred us to Cameo Car Service and the unofficial quote was betwen $50-$60. Also, when I called the hotel the person who assisted me told me not to worry cause the courtesy shuttle could leave us at Pier 66 (but we're departing from pier 30). You might want to ask them again, just in case.

Here is a list of Seattle's public transportation options that are most useful for cruisers:

- You can walk to Pioneer Square from Terminal 30, but it's a bit of a hike--your best bet will be a taxi or shuttle to get from Terminal 30 to anywhere. .

Calikak, RYT? Pier 30 - When you say "it's a bit of a hike", how bad it is? Our flight home is a late one, so we're planning on leaving our luggage at the concierge on port and walk around 'till 3pm. Is there a bus stop nearby? How far away is the baseball satdium (on a map seems pretty close)? Thanks!

According to mapquest the distance between Pier 30 and the Seattle Aquarium is 1.9 miles. The area around does have sidewalks and it wouldn't be a bad walk if you have comfy shoes on and you don't have to carry luggage. I do not believe a bus runs down the street in front of Pier 30.

According to mapquest the distance between Pier 30 and the Seattle Aquarium is 1.9 miles. The area around does have sidewalks and it wouldn't be a bad walk if you have comfy shoes on and you don't have to carry luggage. I do not believe a bus runs down the street in front of Pier 30.

Thanks!

Ditto. To get to the baseball stadium without luggage is not a bad walk, I'd say no more than a mile or so (it's much closer than the aquarium). The bus stop near the stadium is probably the closest to Terminal 30.

Calikak, RYT? Pier 30 - When you say "it's a bit of a hike", how bad it is? Our flight home is a late one, so we're planning on leaving our luggage at the concierge on port and walk around 'till 3pm. Is there a bus stop nearby? How far away is the baseball satdium (on a map seems pretty close)? Thanks!

Not a bad hike. There is no thru street/access from pier 30 to the stadiums (Quest & Safeco). You have to walk north along the waterfront then back track south along 1st avenue. Still a pleasant walk if not raining.

Not a bad hike. There is no thru street/access from pier 30 to the stadiums (Quest & Safeco). You have to walk north along the waterfront then back track south along 1st avenue. Still a pleasant walk if not raining.

Here are the directions off of mapquest:

Start out going NORTH on E MARGINAL WAY S toward ALASKAN WAY S

E MARGINAL WAY S becomes ALASKAN WAY S.

Turn RIGHT onto S ATLANTIC ST.

Turn LEFT onto 1ST AVE S.

End at Safeco Field:

1250 1st Ave S, Seattle, WA 98134, US

Total distance is less than 1 mile and in a car it would take 2 minutes. There is a thru street (Atlantic Street).

Turn RIGHT onto S ATLANTIC ST. (I THINK I WOULD GO TO ROYAL BROUGHAM WAY AND TURN RIGHT THERE, THAT WILL TAKE RIGHT TO THE STADIUM)

End at Safeco Field:

Total distance is less than 1 mile and in a car it would take 2 minutes. There is a thru street (Atlantic Street).

Turn RIGHT onto S ATLANTIC ST. (I THINK I WOULD GO TO ROYAL BROUGHAM WAY AND TURN RIGHT THERE, THAT WILL TAKE RIGHT TO THE STADIUM)

End at Safeco Field:

Ditto the suggestion on Royal Brougham--I didn't realize Atlantic Street went through, I thought the first through street was Royal Brougham? Either way, you'll walk out of the terminal to the street there, and turn left (north) and keep walking until you get to a street that goes through under the Viaduct, and turn right (you can't go left because you'd walk into Puget Sound). The stadium should be right there.

Thanks a lot! We're leaving next week and I can hardly wait! It's becoming very difficult to work and keep away from this boards!!!! :D

Lucky you, we don't cruise again until late October:( . The forecast here in Seattle is suppose to warm up into the 70's for the next few days, hopefully it will be nice when you arrive.

Are you sure Shuttle Express can't take you? We're staying at the same hotel (3ad-2ch) and they offered us a van (up to 10 persons) for $79.00 + tip/ hotel-pier 30. I called the hotel and they referred us to Cameo Car Service and the unofficial quote was betwen $50-$60. Also, when I called the hotel the person who assisted me told me not to worry cause the courtesy shuttle could leave us at Pier 66 (but we're departing from pier 30). You might want to ask them again, just in case.

I guess we will paly it by ear when we get there because we are getting many mixed messages. I called the hotel about the shuttle to Pier66 and they said no. We will find out in August...Thanks for the help

Don't forget us Train riders! The Amtrak station is near Safco field, so a cab or the 99 bus (replacing the waterfront streetcar) are both quick and VERY CHEAP to pier 66, but I've never gone from Amtrak to pier 30, so I don't have any advice for that trip.

Don't forget us Train riders! The Amtrak station is near Safco field, so a cab or the 99 bus (replacing the waterfront streetcar) are both quick and VERY CHEAP to pier 66, but I've never gone from Amtrak to pier 30, so I don't have any advice for that trip.

Oh yes, Amtrak! Gotta love the train, especially from Vancouver BC--it runs along the water most of the way and you don't have to sit in traffic at the border. It's an even shorter cab ride from the train station to Terminal 30 than it is to Pier 66.

I have a rental car question. If we rent a car at the airport, any chance of a return somewhere around Pier 66? That would work great for us.

Otherwise, we will have to return the car to the airport and then take your advise about a cab back to the pier.

I have a rental car question. If we rent a car at the airport, any chance of a return somewhere around Pier 66? That would work great for us.

Otherwise, we will have to return the car to the airport and then take your advise about a cab back to the pier.

I believe Thrifty is the only one that has an office near Pier 66.

I believe Thrifty is the only one that has an office near Pier 66.

The Port of Seattle website says that Thrifty has a shuttle to/from both of the cruise terminals to their lot (which is in between Terminal 30 and Pier 66). I would imagine it's not a big deal to do a one-way rental from the airport to the downtown location.

Archived