Sailing Solo on Norwegian

blueangel74

I am looking at booking a solo cruise on Norwegian in 2013 or 2014. My only solo cruising experience has been 2 solo cruises on Carnival. Enjoy sailing on Carnival but want to see how solo cruising is on other cruise lines. Heard many good points about sailing on Norwegian. Will I like it better than Carnival & can someone tell me about the solo cabins? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :D

While I can't compare to any of the Carnival ships yet, I sailed on NCL Epic in a solo studio and loved it - it's by far the best cabin I've stayed in to date. There was plenty of space for all of my stuff, and I thought the design was well thought out to maximize the space for moving around. The studio lounge was great too. The only negatives - I didn't like being closed off down a special corridor, which I expect is done to keep out non studio passengers, and more than on any other cruise, I found that groups of people liked to bang on the walls early in the morning when they were stumbling back to their rooms. I suppose if you want quiet, you should stay at home in a controlled environment though.

I booked a solo studio on the Breakaway 2 years out based on how much I liked the Epic experience, so I would definitely recommend it.

I am looking at booking a solo cruise on Norwegian in 2013 or 2014. My only solo cruising experience has been 2 solo cruises on Carnival. Enjoy sailing on Carnival but want to see how solo cruising is on other cruise lines. Heard many good points about sailing on Norwegian. Will I like it better than Carnival & can someone tell me about the solo cabins? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :D

Blueangel74, I have done 7 solos on NCL and have a 8th coming up to Bermuda in September. Right now the Epic is the only NCL ship that has solo cabins, but next year the Breakaway will be out and it will also have solo cabins as well. As far as the other ships, you end up with a bigger cabin but you pay a single supplement. It will vary depending on how full the ship is and what type of cabin you are booking. I got a really good deal on the Bermuda trip as the supplement was only about 130% of the double passenger rate and it was for an ocean view cabin. As far as comparing NCL to Carnival they are probably more similar than different so if you enjoyed Carnival I think you will enjoy NCL.

While I can't compare to any of the Carnival ships yet, I sailed on NCL Epic in a solo studio and loved it - it's by far the best cabin I've stayed in to date. There was plenty of space for all of my stuff, and I thought the design was well thought out to maximize the space for moving around. The studio lounge was great too. The only negatives - I didn't like being closed off down a special corridor, which I expect is done to keep out non studio passengers, and more than on any other cruise, I found that groups of people liked to bang on the walls early in the morning when they were stumbling back to their rooms. I suppose if you want quiet, you should stay at home in a controlled environment though.

I booked a solo studio on the Breakaway 2 years out based on how much I liked the Epic experience, so I would definitely recommend it.

I had the same experience- it was a very modern cabin. I booked the Breakaway as well for 2x in 2013. Having a group of solo travellers sets up a structure for meals/socializing and takes the pressure off

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed the Jade (2010, Eastern Med) solo; paid for a balcony (50% SS), but was upgraded to a mid-ship suite (nice!). I met many people via CC Roll Call & others during singles/solo get togethers (arranged by the ship).

I sailed the Jade (2010, Eastern Med) solo; paid for a balcony (50% SS), but was upgraded to a mid-ship suite (nice!). I met many people via CC Roll Call & others during singles/solo get togethers (arranged by the ship).

Nice on your upgrade. Sounds interesting to sail solo on Norwegian. Looking at sailing out of Miami in 2013/2014 on the Epic or 2014 on the Getaway. Usually sail out of New Orleans or Galveston since they are closer to where I live but figured I needed a change for cruising.

I'm in FL, literally 5 miles from Port Canaveral, but have done Caribbean ad nausium...I've contemplated a TA, S America, or World cruise from/to PC or Miami...ever done those or only Galveston/Gulf? World cruise is a little beyond me right now (still working & saving $).

I have sailed NCL Spirit twice as a solo (one was a TA) and the NCL Pearl as a solo. I have NCL Star booked as a solo...one in Dec and again on the TA in April 2013. I am not interested in sailing on the Epic....too big for me, and all the pricing I have seen between inside cabins and studios....the studios have ALWAYS been more money even after paying the single supplement for an inside.....I LOVE NCL and have NO PROBLEM sailing with them as a solo.....I ALWAYS go to the MDR for supper and have always been asked if I wanted a "sharing" table or one just for myself.....

I'm in FL, literally 5 miles from Port Canaveral, but have done Caribbean ad nausium...I've contemplated a TA, S America, or World cruise from/to PC or Miami...ever done those or only Galveston/Gulf? World cruise is a little beyond me right now (still working & saving $).

I have sailed NCL Spirit twice as a solo (one was a TA) and the NCL Pearl as a solo. I have NCL Star booked as a solo...one in Dec and again on the TA in April 2013. I am not interested in sailing on the Epic....too big for me, and all the pricing I have seen between inside cabins and studios....the studios have ALWAYS been more money even after paying the single supplement for an inside.....I LOVE NCL and have NO PROBLEM sailing with them as a solo.....I ALWAYS go to the MDR for supper and have always been asked if I wanted a "sharing" table or one just for myself.....

I'm in the heart of Cajun Country. Live 2 1/2 hours from New Orleans & about 3 1/2 to 4 hours away from Galveston. Those cruises tend to go to as far east as The Bahamas & west to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, & Jamaica. Loved sailing there but want to see new ports. Would love to do a TA, South American, Austrailian, Hawaiian, or a world cruise someday.

Arhillbilly, ty for the info on the single supplement & ship size. I'm only familiar with the ship classes for Carnival. Epic seems to be about the size of the Conquest or Dream classes for Carnival.

Hi, BlueAngel,

I've done TA 4X, just not from the USA. I enjoy the ocean fauna & was fascinated how the species changed w lat/long. I never experienced rough seas during those crossings, nor during my single trans-Pacific (even though I sailed during peak, typhoon season).

Circumnavigation of S America's a different story...my single experience was pretty rough NW of Cape Horn.

My recommendation on TA, TP journeys is either the pressure-point bands or meds to mitigate sea sickness (I discovered I'm immune, thank goodness!). I'll test that theory in March, when I sail near the Cape of Good Hope, which is notorious for rough seas.

Hi, Arhillbilly,

I sailed NCL Jade in the Med solo. I was triple-upgraded (yippee!) to a suite, so I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise! ;-). I was treated very well & I, like you, always sat & met w great folks in the MDR, some of whom I still contact (almost 2 yrs later; most not in USA).

Hi, Arhillbilly,

I sailed NCL Jade in the Med solo. I was triple-upgraded (yippee!) to a suite, so I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise! ;-). I was treated very well & I, like you, always sat & met w great folks in the MDR, some of whom I still contact (almost 2 yrs later; most not in USA).

I have never met a stranger and consider myself a people person. The TA on the Spirit in April 2012 was the MOST AMAZING cruise ever....what made it so amazing was the group of 74 CC members on the ship (altho there were only between 30-40 that joined in on group activities) There were lifelong friendships formed on that cruise.....matter of fact, I leave on Wed and fly into Chicago where I will meet a friend from CA and we will fly into Amsterdam for 2 nights, then catch a cruise for 2 weeks going thu Scotland and Norway...then 2 or 3 nights in Rotterdam after the cruise......have seen 5 other people from the TA cruise also this summer.....as I said, life long friendships were formed

Hi, BlueAngel,

I've done TA 4X, just not from the USA. I enjoy the ocean fauna & was fascinated how the species changed w lat/long. I never experienced rough seas during those crossings, nor during my single trans-Pacific (even though I sailed during peak, typhoon season).

Circumnavigation of S America's a different story...my single experience was pretty rough NW of Cape Horn.

My recommendation on TA, TP journeys is either the pressure-point bands or meds to mitigate sea sickness (I discovered I'm immune, thank goodness!). I'll test that theory in March, when I sail near the Cape of Good Hope, which is notorious for rough seas.

I have never met a stranger and consider myself a people person. The TA on the Spirit in April 2012 was the MOST AMAZING cruise ever....what made it so amazing was the group of 74 CC members on the ship (altho there were only between 30-40 that joined in on group activities) There were lifelong friendships formed on that cruise.....matter of fact, I leave on Wed and fly into Chicago where I will meet a friend from CA and we will fly into Amsterdam for 2 nights, then catch a cruise for 2 weeks going thu Scotland and Norway...then 2 or 3 nights in Rotterdam after the cruise......have seen 5 other people from the TA cruise also this summer.....as I said, life long friendships were formed

That had to be awesome to see how the species changed from lat/long. Had to be very brave for sailing during the peak of typhoon season(Then again, I do sail during the last 2 months of hurricane season.). I'm planning to do a TA cruise within the next 5 years. Hope your theory holds up in March.

Arhillbilly, have a wonderful time on your cruise. You are going to two places I would love to visit. Safe travel & bon voyage. :)

Traveling solo on Breakaway 2/2/14. Booked a studio and am excited. I like the concept of a lounge area just for solo travelers. Somewhat apprehensive as I am cruising alone for the first time and on such a large ship!! But excited as well!!

Traveling solo on Breakaway 2/2/14. Booked a studio and am excited. I like the concept of a lounge area just for solo travelers. Somewhat apprehensive as I am cruising alone for the first time and on such a large ship!! But excited as well!!

Congrats on your upcoming solo cruise. It's quite addictive. Looking at booking on the Epic or Breakaway next year if my cruise plans for November 2013 fall through or on the Getaway or Epic in October 2014. I like the idea of having an area just for solo travelers on a ship.

I haven't heard anyone say negative things about the studios. They look like sardine cans! How did you not feel so stuck in a closet?

I found that although my porthole cabin on the Jewel had a little more room; there was so much to do that I was never in the cabin for more than 45 minutes during the day and 5 or 6 hours for sleep.

It is not for everyone though. Some people might want a nice balcony or suite and I can understand wanting a larger space to have time in. But for me it was a quicker paced week

I have seen pics of the studio cabins & they seem to be just right for one person. Can see where they do look like sardine cans but it will be just me cruising. Love the idea of the solo lounge also. I know I would have to fly to New York or Miami to sail on a ship that has them (Please correct me if I am wrong.)which I do not mind. Love sailing out of NOLA which is closer to where I live but I would like a change of scenery for the embarkation port.

Archived