What can you tell me about Ghent?

Flick

We have alredy ben to Brugge and while that was fascinating we are not compelled to return. We do, however have a couple of ships tours to Ghent and quite frankly I don't know much about it. Any suggestions?

We have alredy ben to Brugge and while that was fascinating we are not compelled to return. We do, however have a couple of ships tours to Ghent and quite frankly I don't know much about it. Any suggestions?

Ghent is a wonderful town, also. The art and architecture is from the same period as Brugge. This includes an alter piece which is one of the wonders of the mediaeval period (Adoration of the Mystic Lamb in St Bavo). There is also an excellent modern art museum. Ghent, while hardly off the beaten path, is usually not as completely overrun with tourists as Brugge.

If you want to do it on your own, the train takes you to the south edge of town (very frequent service). From there you can take a cab, bus or walk to the old city (the modern art museum is quite close to the train station).

Paul

Thanx for the info. You said that Ghent is similar to Brugge. Is it a lot alike, in other words having been to Brugge would you go to Ghent?

Sure. But, then I like the art, the history and the beer of the region. I try to visit Flanders once a year. Of course, as you can tell by my countdown clock, I am "somewhat" of a cycling fan and since Belgian is the home of the greatest ever (Eddie Merckx) you should put even less faith in my recommendation.

There are masterpieces in both towns as well as interesting architecture. Both are easy to walk with great beer and chocolate (and french fries which are really Belgian in origin) for snacks. Also great "real" food.

Paul

Archived