In Italy...Claudio!!

cle1

Just got back from a wonderful European cruise. Through this board, heard about Claudio, and arranged a tour with him. I can't recommend him highly enough. He was prompt, professional, and very caring. This tour was one of the best!!!

Yes, we've also just got back and had Claudio as our guide in both Florence and Rome - he is so professional. He's a wonderful tour guide who will go to great lengths to give you the tour that you desire - he even gave us a bottle of Chianti as a parting gift, what a gem!!!

Remind me again as to how to contact Claudio to arrange for a tour. Planning the Med next year and would like to start putting together contact names for tour guides (Rome, Florence, Naples, Venice, Barcelona & Dubrovnik). Did "Florence on Your Own" back in 2000 but will be traveling with new European cruisers and would like to do all ports with private tour guides. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for additional info. I did the ship's tour of Naples the last time which combined Capri, Pompeii and Sorrento into one tour. Is it possible to do that combination with a private driver/guide? Should I ask them to get our tickets for the boat ride to Capri and the guide in Pompeii or is this an unrealistic request? Anything that would alleviate standing in line for tickets, etc. leaves more time for sightseeing. In my estimation the visit to Sorrento and surrounding area does not require a special/additional guide/cost. Am I right?

Josiem, I have booked Salvatore from DriveAmalfi for a cruise leaving Barcelona October 15, 2005. I asked if we could squeeze in Capri with Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. He said he didn't think it would be time-efficient to go to Capri, although that's our decision to make. He doesn't do Capri, we'd have to do that on our own and then meet up with him somewhere. We've decided to forego Capri and just do Pompeii and the Coast.

What month are you cruising? We're going with another couple, but would welcome an additional couple on our excursion.

Donna

Hi

DH and I cruised on the 5/7 Galaxy Transatlantic. We had an itinerary change - dropping Malaga and including Livorno. I had already been in contact with Paola Migliorini to arrange a day trip to Florence from Rome after the cruise, so emailed her to change from that to a tour from Livorno. A number of Cruise Critic folks were also interested and Paola was able to coordinate 5 vans for all of us.

Paola was highly recommended in other earlier posts on this board and I echo those recommendations. She is very knowledgeable about the Tuscany countryside and Florence. Moreover, she has a degree in art history and is a licensed guide. She accompanied us in to the Academy gallery and gave us in depth explanations of Michaelangelo's works, especially the "David". Her colleague, Marco Secci, also has a degree in art history and led us through the Uffizi gallery to point out important details of Botticelli, and other important works.

You can contact at Paola at

http://www.florencetour.com

info@florencetour.com

and Marco Secci at

m.secci@tuscanytours.it

I recommend them both highly because I know you'll be really pleased with the tours they offer.

Bev

I too booked with Claudio a month ago, for a tour of Rome, for our cruise next May. I was glad to find him personally available. I did miss out though, on booking with Salvatore for Naples by only one day. My advise is to try and book one or both of these guides ASAP, as they are repeatedly said to be the best.

We booked with Claudio for Naples, Rome, and Florence for our Millenium cruise on October 12th. He was very up-front that he would not be able to drive us personally but that he could organize our tour with someone else who was very good and had the same model car. So, we are going with this other person (Carlo) because we trust Claudio not to steer us wrong.

He has also gone out of his way to make special arrangements for us:

-- In Naples, he has arranged a private guide for Pompeii.

-- In Rome, he has arranged for a papal audience for two of us and also a private guide for the Vatican Museum.

-- In Florence, he made 11:30 reservations for us at the Accademia and 1:00 reservations for us at the Uffizi. (We explained that we would rather grab a quick snack and be able to see both.)

He has done such an excellent job returning e-mails and making special arrangements that we feel confident that his choice of driver will not let us down.

Cher

We are two, young at heart, seniors who would like to share many of the private tours offered on the Oct. 12 Liberty sailing. We are also on the 10/24 Transatlantic cruise.

Anyone interested? Please email me at dorassb@hotmail.com

We are fun to be around (well maybe my friend is not, j/k):D and are not obtrusive.

We just returned from our cruise to the Med aboard the Millinnium. We used Salvatore of DriveAmalfi. You can not go wrong with him!! After all the "organized chaos" in Rome (just close your eyes and they manuver traffic), Salavtore was a breath of fresh air. I felt so safe on the winding roads of the coast. Salvatore is a gentleman and provided us with history & fabulous views!! He lives in Amalfi. He took us to a restaraunt that was tucked away in the hills overlooking the sea....the food was fabulous, views outstanding & price very reasonable!! I was impressed with him as a driver & a guide.....and we had alot of tour guides during this trip. We rate him #1!!!

We toured Pompeii, Amalfi, Ravella and back....there is not enought time to do it all....unfortunatley!! We wished we could have stayed in Pompeii for hours, wanted to go to Capri, and linger in Sorrento & Amalfi much longer than was possible. The only option is to return!!! :D

Kathy

Just got back from a wonderful European cruise. Through this board, heard about Claudio, and arranged a tour with him. I can't recommend him highly enough. He was prompt, professional, and very caring. This tour was one of the best!!!

We also used Claudio for our tour of Rome on Wed Sept 15, and I am not exaggerating when I say, it was one of the best days of my life! He was amazing, so knowledgable, and almost magical with his flawless itinerary he guided us through! I want to recommend him to everyone!!!

• 5 months later...
We just returned from our cruise to the Med aboard the Millinnium. We used Salvatore of DriveAmalfi. You can not go wrong with him!! After all the "organized chaos" in Rome (just close your eyes and they manuver traffic)' date=' Salavtore was a breath of fresh air. I felt so safe on the winding roads of the coast. Salvatore is a gentleman and provided us with history & fabulous views!! He lives in Amalfi. He took us to a restaraunt that was tucked away in the hills overlooking the sea....the food was fabulous, views outstanding & price very reasonable!! I was impressed with him as a driver & a guide.....and we had alot of tour guides during this trip. We rate him #1!!!

We toured Pompeii, Amalfi, Ravella and back....there is not enought time to do it all....unfortunatley!! We wished we could have stayed in Pompeii for hours, wanted to go to Capri, and linger in Sorrento & Amalfi much longer than was possible. The only option is to return!!! :D

Kathy[/quote']

Another driver/guide I have used numerous times for the naples/sorrento/amalfi area is Raffaele Aversa at raffaele.aversa@libero.it. webste is www.sorrentocardrivers.com. I cannot say enough about how great he was and have sent many coworkers and friends to him.

Archived