Magic YTD did not work last week

vettecruiser1

First let me say that this was Thanksgiving and there was 4600 people on board and of them 1500 kids. Also we did have a fantastic voyage to Belize, Roatan and Coz. Let me give you idea of last weeks YTD.

1st night-went 6:05 waited 25 minutes in line, then dinner was almost 2 hours, sometimes we would wait 40 minutes in between courses.

2nd night-formal: went at 6:15 waited 45 minutes in line, same with above on time in dinning room.

3rd night-went at 6:30 waited in line 30 minutes. Requested to be placed in early dinning if possible and I will tell you the wonderful excuses later.

4th night-Early dinning denied-went at 6:10 waited in line 10 minutes.

5th night-Went at 6:15 waited in line 20 minutes

6th night-Went at 6:25 waited in line 25 minutes.

7th night-did not want last night to be tainted by waiting in line say made Resvervation at italian resturant at 6:30, it was a great meal and time.

Ok so let me get to the excuses the Hostess and Matre D had.

1. You never sailed a large ship before with YTD. Wrong was on Oasis in June and never waited longer then 5 minutes between 6-6:30.

2. You never have sailed Thanksgiving or holiday week. Wrong did Truimph last Thanksgiving and never waited longer then 10 minutes in line and one night when line formed they gave pagers out so we could go to bar or up to photos.

3. You have never sailed with Texans before they all eat at the same time. I did not even know how to reply to that one.

4. Maybe come back at 8:30 when there is no line, they actually said this. My reply was maybe you should see that there is an issue and fix it not make excuses.

My issue was it is called Your time dining, if i'm waiting in line over 10 minutes every night it is no longer my time dining, but waiting in line dining. Also we were traveling with a 5 year old as were many other families. Waiting in line with my little demon plus everyone other little demons was torture for all involved. I really think the issue could have been solved had they had 2 lines going instead of 1. Or on the nights when the line was snaked all around the elevators and the Matre D came and saw it he could have busted out the pagers. I also think that the YTD waiters take a longer time so they do not have to turn over as many tables in a given night. On 2 seperate nights the area next to us the families came in and left and new family was almost done before we were. I asked how they managed to eat so fast. Waitress said because the other waitstaff is new and had lots of energy. What?

One other warning when we left dinner everynight there was a line of at least 50-60 people waiting in line to get in, plus those people had to deal with all the photo taking station. It was a little chaotic.

We were on the Magic for the 1st. sailing out of Galveston 11-14-11. We had early dining and the service was the slowest we have had on any ship. I kinda blew it off that it was a new ship and they were still getting the kinks out. Hopefully they will get the problem corrected.

Doug

First let me say that this was Thanksgiving and there was 4600 people on board and of them 1500 kids. Also we did have a fantastic voyage to Belize, Roatan and Coz. Let me give you idea of last weeks YTD.

1st night-went 6:05 waited 25 minutes in line, then dinner was almost 2 hours, sometimes we would wait 40 minutes in between courses.

2nd night-formal: went at 6:15 waited 45 minutes in line, same with above on time in dinning room.

3rd night-went at 6:30 waited in line 30 minutes. Requested to be placed in early dinning if possible and I will tell you the wonderful excuses later.

7th night-did not want last night to be tainted by waiting in line say made Resvervation at italian resturant at 6:30, it was a great meal and time.

1. You never sailed a large ship before with YTD. Wrong was on Oasis in June and never waited longer then 5 minutes between 6-6:30.

2. You never have sailed Thanksgiving or holiday week. Wrong did Truimph last Thanksgiving and never waited longer then 10 minutes in line and one night when line formed they gave pagers out so we could go to bar or up to photos.

3. You have never sailed with Texans before they all eat at the same time. I did not even know how to reply to that one.

4. Maybe come back at 8:30 when there is no line, they actually said this. My reply was maybe you should see that there is an issue and fix it not make excuses.

My issue was it is called Your time dining, if i'm waiting in line over 10 minutes every night it is no longer my time dining, but waiting in line dining. Also we were traveling with a 5 year old as were many other families. Waiting in line with my little demon plus everyone other little demons was torture for all involved. I really think the issue could have been solved had they had 2 lines going instead of 1. Or on the nights when the line was snaked all around the elevators and the Matre D came and saw it he could have busted out the pagers. I also think that the YTD waiters take a longer time so they do not have to turn over as many tables in a given night. On 2 seperate nights the area next to us the families came in and left and new family was almost done before we were. I asked how they managed to eat so fast. Waitress said because the other waitstaff is new and had lots of energy. What?

One other warning when we left dinner everynight there was a line of at least 50-60 people waiting in line to get in, plus those people had to deal with all the photo taking station. It was a little chaotic.

Can't really speak to it as we have always done traditional dining. My guess would be that it can be quirky (really depends on how many people show up at a specific time). I can understand your frustration, but not sure what they can do to address it (other than limit the number of guests allowed to take it or enlarge the tables supporting it). I doubt you will ever see less than 10 minute wait on a carnival ship at 6:30....but that is just my opinion.

Sorry you had a bad time with Any time Dining. Our most recent cruise we did ATD on Conquest and had very slow service as well. I had not thought about them taking longer to avoid turn over, but it would not be that shocking, considering how super slow the service is. We never had to wait very long for a table and we came at various different times, but usually between 6-7.

As far as the other tables eating so fast, I probably would have made note of the waitress' name and asked for her. Of course that might have been a longer wait to eat.

You went to dinner at a critical time.

I mean you would not believe the line before the dining room opens at 5:45.

(why these people took anytime dining is beyond me-)

by 6pm the dining room would be full or close to it.. so you would have to wait til someone got done.

you say you were a table for 3-? so you needed to wait for a 4 top to empty.

Even with sitting at 5:45 - we were not done until close to 7:30pm dinner always took 60-90 minutes.

I tried anytime 3 times-- it is not for us. If I can not get early-- I will look at going another time

I have never had a problem with it, in the three times we cruise, we always did it.

We are cruising in June with 13 people, although we are already booked YTD, I am considering changing it to the late seating, mostly because it is summer time and bound to be crowded, and we have so many people to coordinate.

You went to dinner at a critical time.

I mean you would not believe the line before the dining room opens at 5:45.

(why these people took anytime dining is beyond me-)

by 6pm the dining room would be full or close to it.. so you would have to wait til someone got done.

you say you were a table for 3-? so you needed to wait for a 4 top to empty.

Even with sitting at 5:45 - we were not done until close to 7:30pm dinner always took 60-90 minutes.

I tried anytime 3 times-- it is not for us. If I can not get early-- I will look at going another time

This is were the magic is different. They had tables open everytime we went in to be sitted, they just had people funneling into one door. The dinning room is big enough, that is why I said they should have had a second line. There is where the problem lies. Also and this is only due to using past Anytime dining on RCCL but you could set a standing reservation say at 6:30 or 6:45 or anytime and on the Triumph last year they handed out pagers when a line formed. I know there are kinks it just seems to be they do not seem to care but try to make excuses.

I have never had a problem with it, in the three times we cruise, we always did it.

We are cruising in June with 13 people, although we are already booked YTD, I am considering changing it to the late seating, mostly because it is summer time and bound to be crowded, and we have so many people to coordinate.

This was a 4th time during both on RCCL and CCL and they do not have it working on Magic. This has been the compaint with the Magic since she has showed up in Texas.

I don't get how other CCL ships and RCCL ships want to try and fix and this one wanted to make excuses. Did you read the excuses they are laughable especially when they did not even try to see if there was another way. I asked about the pagers and they showed them to me but said a line around the elevators is normal for us Texans, because when they were in Europe last year they did not have this problem. Last I checked Carnival usually leaves ships in Texas for a while so they may want to consider fixing this.

Trust me it did not ruin my cruise, the magic is a great ship and the Exotic route is great from Texas. I'm just letting people know what my experience and I will be choosing Early Seating next time I cruise Magic. If i'm on another CCL or RCCL ship I will stick to YTD because I like the freedom.

This post is merely a YTD beware memo.

If it were me I would have adjusted my times somewhat and tried going about 7:30 or so.

The line at 7:30 was worse because they are no longer sitting people becuase the room is full. When I would step out to use the restroom the people in line at 7;30 were beyond ticked. Like I said before the only time they was no wait was at 8:30. If I wanted 8:30 I would choose late dining, also I'm not trying to keep my son from eating until 8:30. So then dinner will be lasting until 10:00 or later no Thank You that is not what I call Your time dining.

I'm glad no one has brought up just go to Lido and eat. I did not pay to have a nice dinner everynight to eat in the buffet.

Also we only ate in the Lido once for breakfast. The rest of the time in was Free Italian for lunch pasta bowl which was very good or the Brunch. By the way the Brunch is good and the comedians were very funny on Magic. We had 4 different comics during the entire cruise and every show was different and they did about 10 minutes worth of routine during Brunch. Just the right amount if you ask me.

Even on lines that get better reviews for YTD, 13 is a challange. I would go with late dining and walk in every night with your tables ready for your party to sit.

When I go out to eat at a restaurant at peak times, I wait in lines unless I have a reservation. I don't understand why people like YTD and still show up at the same time they would have if they had traditional seating. I hate waiting in lines. Therefore, I eat with a reservation at the traditional dining.

I had a different experience with YTD on the Triumph. We went twice around 7:30, no wait, but food was cold and overcooked, looked like it had been sitting for a while. The buffet was great for the rest of the cruise. Going back to traditional dinning on the next cruise.

EEK I have YTD on Magic in Jan 2013. I can also second the comments about Triumph YTD dining rooms giving out those blinking/buzzing pagers. Magic is different I guess.

I like YTD.

Even when you eat out and dont have a reservation, places do give you a type of pager so you dont have to stay in line and crowd the entrance for 45 minutes.

We had atd on the magic in June and never had to wait more than 10 minutes. The food came out swiftly and hot. Don't know why our experience was so much better.

what time did you go and how many in your party...

It didnt work for us either-- well kinda maybe.. we did get seated at a table for two that was mere inches from the other two tables of two

the OP was sailing on a holiday sailing

We just got off the magic also. Thanksgiving week, lots of kids. We had early dinner and I am so glad that we did. The line for atd was unreal it went from the front of the dinning room past the elevator bays. I had to ask someone what was going on. Glad that we choose a fix time.

I know that it was a holiday week but the magic holds x amount of Px's holiday or not. We have recieved pagers on other carnival ships so I do not know why they would have not used them on the magic. I felt sorry for those who were standing in line to eat.

Magic and Carnival needs to come up with a system that works fleet wide.

I notice that ytd poster went for supper basically at the same time every night - around 6PM - within 25 minute range. Why on earth would you just not sign up for the early seating - your table is always ready and you do not have to wait in line. I thought ytd was for those who one night would go at 6 next night at 7:30 next night at 6:30 next night at 8. I have seen on other threads where they always go at a certain time every night. I know it is not possible but it is too bad that they couldn't have 3 sittings instead of 2 and shorten dining time to 1 1/2 hours instead of 2 - do 5:30 - 7:00 - 8:30. Just my opinion. I love ytd and never had issues and only every waited once and got a pager.

I'm glad no one has brought up just go to Lido and eat. I did not pay to have a nice dinner everynight to eat in the buffet.

I will bring up about eating at the buffet. Sometimes the food is better (and at the correct temperature) at the buffet than the dining room.

Some of the apps, mains and sides are the same at both places. And there is always something being carved (ham, roast beef, prime rib, turkey, etc). One time there was coq au vin at the buffet. Coq au vin was not even offered in the MDR.

This review is scary as we will be boarding the Magic on Sunday and have YTD. We prefer it since we can go at different times but certainly not 8:30. Luckily there is just the two of us and no rugrats. I am not sure if I should try to get late traditional since early is most likely out of the question. We have not been on a CCL ship in several years and it may be several more before we do it again on CCL. We never had a problem on RCL or Princess. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

We just got off the magic also. Thanksgiving week, lots of kids. We had early dinner and I am so glad that we did. The line for atd was unreal it went from the front of the dinning room past the elevator bays. I had to ask someone what was going on. Glad that we choose a fix time.

I know that it was a holiday week but the magic holds x amount of Px's holiday or not. We have recieved pagers on other carnival ships so I do not know why they would have not used them on the magic. I felt sorry for those who were standing in line to eat.

Magic and Carnival needs to come up with a system that works fleet wide.

Thank You

Archived