Have we just been lucky or are people really that picky?

briehon

I have sailed on 4 different cruise lines, Carnival, Royal, Disney and a River Cruise. Amawaterways. We consider ourselves foodies. And kind of food snobs...I never eat fast food or at a chain restaurant unless desperate. HOWEVER, I read many of the reviews and comments here and see the words “inedible” and “horrible” to describe cruisers feelings about food in the WJ and MDR. Yes, some food does not appeal to me (rarely do I eat a pasta dish at the WJ) but I have never gotten a meal on a cruise that was inedible or horrible. I’ve said the words “just okay” to describe a dish but come on, am I lucky or are people that picky/critical?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since you opened the can of worms... I am also a total food snob, and I've never had a terrible experience on RC. It's what I expect. Edible, filling, doesn't make me sick. Usually pretty good. Sometimes great.

Sometimes the complaints here are that the food isn't good because it isn't hot enough. Piping hot is not a quality gauge.

I am somewhat into food.

My only complaints on our recent cruise were VERY minor. The "prime rib" in the WJ was not prime rib, it looked to be a nice roast sirloin. So call it "roast beef."

And the stroganoff in the WJ had no sour cream in it, which is what makes stroganoff.

But both were tasty, just not what they were labeled.

A few years ago on an RCI cruise, the WJ Mexican night was below Taco Bell. Which I thought was strange with the number of Mexican workers on board.

And I agree with some comments that some dessert items look a lot better than they taste. Not that they taste but, just not as fabulous as the look.

But inedible? Never Horrible? Never "Bad?" Never

Yes, some people are just too picky.

I used to travel the USA for work alot, and we did a week long trip with some other employees that were not regular to our group.

There was one person who complained, and sent back everything she ordered, from soup to desert, in every single place we went, for the entire week.

We ate at some real upscale places too.

Foodie here. I don’t mind the food on RC at all - in fact, I find it pretty good most of the time because I’ve set my expectations accordingly. That doesn’t mean I’ve lowered my “standards”...just that I understand when you’re feeding throusands at once, a thing or two might go wrong. But on the whole, I’ve very much enjoyed the MDR and the other food offerings.

I wasn’t very impressed by Sabor’s food on the Oasis, but it’s probably because we have an incredible Mexican restaurant near our house that we go to most weeks. The margaritas were good, though!

Like you, OP, DH and I are food aficionados and love to cook and dine at home.

We've never had a bad meal on a cruise, and in fact, the only two items that were less than stellar last cruise were the pork shank, which was overcooked, and the lobster bisque.

Trust your wait staff, they will try to steer you toward the best items each meal.

I have been on 5 cruise lines in the last 22 months. RCCL (3), MSC (2), NCL, Princess and Carnival, all once.

Never has myself or hubby had a horrible or uneatable meal. Never had to send anything back either. We always find multiple items to select from and enjoy. I too know some of those "complain about everything" people. It is not fun to be around them either.

People have different experiences and different taste buds. People are ordering different things.

Some people have ordered a dish before and have a different experience with it next time. Looking at you, sweet and sour meatless dish.

There's no need to consider yourself lucky, nor is there a need to put other people down. We're simply all different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, some people are just too picky.

I used to travel the USA for work alot, and we did a week long trip with some other employees that were not regular to our group.

There was one person who complained, and sent back everything she ordered, from soup to desert, in every single place we went, for the entire week.

We ate at some real upscale places too.

Lol. Have a sister in law that sends everything back. One time at the end of the meal she asked for tea. Server said " oh Im sorry, we're all out of tea" then winked at us as she was leaving to get our coffee order. Priceless!

I have sailed on 4 different cruise lines, Carnival, Royal, Disney and a River Cruise. Amawaterways. We consider ourselves foodies. And kind of food snobs...I never eat fast food or at a chain restaurant unless desperate. HOWEVER, I read many of the reviews and comments here and see the words “inedible” and “horrible” to describe cruisers feelings about food in the WJ and MDR. Yes, some food does not appeal to me (rarely do I eat a pasta dish at the WJ) but I have never gotten a meal on a cruise that was inedible or horrible. I’ve said the words “just okay” to describe a dish but come on, am I lucky or are people that picky/critical?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I've only noticed a decline in the overall quality of the food in the MDR over the 5 years I've sailed, ironically in the same time frame as the big push towards specialty restaurants. I think THAT'S why you hear people complain. It might not be a fair complaint, as mentioned above--- expecting 5 star food in a 3 star restaurant.... but, it seems to have been a change as the business model has changed.

You are a bit lucky and there are many picky people.

I recall a voyage several years ago on Jewel that had the saltiest food I have ever experienced, particularly the MDR offerings. Inedible? Not quite for me, but for someone with hypertension probably. Understand, not a dish or two but most dishes, most days. This is a standout exception to the generally good to excellent food I have had while cruising.

I put some of the complaints down to people coping with dishes out of their ordinary experience.

For people who are offended by being called picky, critical can be substituted. I think a lot of CC members think of themselves as critics when they travel and report what they found amiss, whether or not it is amiss for anyone else. All opinions are welcome.

Edited by dreadpirate3

Same boat here. While some food was not great, we never went hungry, and always found plenty to order. The one issue we found on our RCI cruise that was lackluster was deserts. They always looked fabulous, but were just okay for taste. My wife (who really hates buffets overall) has said we plan to eat in the WJ most nights on our next cruise as she liked that even better than the MDR when we ate there with some friends the last night.

This dessert issue comes up a lot. Do people who demean RC desserts not eat a lot of dessert in general?

I eat dessert and sweets all the time, and RC's are adequate and shrug-worthy. I often settle for the ice cream. I wonder if people are building up something in their head and then getting something ordinary.