Akaroa & Dunedin Excursions

We will be cruising Celebrity Solstice in New Zealand in November and would like some opinions on excursions in both Akaroa and Dunedin.

In Akaroa we would like to see Christchurch have narrowed it down to either of the following two excursions:

1. Christchurch & Countryside
  2. Christchurch on your own

In Dunedin we have narrowed it down to the following excursions:

1. Dunedin Highlights
  2. Otagos Wild Wonders
  3. Dunedin Panorama
  4. Otago Penguin & Dunedin Panorama Experience.

Any info or suggestions about any or all of these tours will be appreciated and helpful to make our decision.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

lncruisers

The Christchurch and Countryside excursion seems to mostly be a visit to a sheep farm, with a brief look around Christchurch on the way. The other excursion allows you time to explore Christchurch city. Your call - sheep or shopping ;p.

For Dunedin I recommend 4.Otago Penguin & Dunedin Panorama Experience. If you're lucky you'll not only see the penguins but seals basking on the shore while sheep graze around them. Yes, that does happen, we saw that when we went there some years ago. The drive up the Otago Peninsula is beautiful. This tour also covers highlights of the city including the Railway Station which is gorgeous.

In Akaora an early moprn ing cruise to find the miniator hector dolphins could start the day and then go to Christchurch afterwards Google Hector dolphins and you will find nthe only company that does these trips and they are great, friendly and reasonable:D

or try akaroadolphins.co.nz

• 2 weeks later...

For the Akaroa stop you were asking about, if you are interested in sheep a visit to the sheep farm would be interesting. If you were more interested in Christchurch I would recommend the Christchurch on your own. Be aware that the city is still in the recovery building phase after the earthquakes and there is still alot of buildings in the process of being knocked down. The shopping in the central city is not that varied. Hagley Park is lovely and the Arts centre buildings are lovely. There is a tram which runs from the Park to the central city which is very informative. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We have used Zealandier tours for trips not through the cruise ship. They were excellent. Earlier this year we did the trip to Christchurch from Akaroa. Well worth the full day out. Definitely would recommend them for Tauranga to go to Rotorua and Hobbiton. Guarantee to get you back to ship in time for departure.

We will be cruising Celebrity Solstice in New Zealand in November and would like some opinions on excursions in both Akaroa and Dunedin.

In Akaroa we would like to see Christchurch have narrowed it down to either of the following two excursions:

1. Christchurch & Countryside
  2. Christchurch on your own

In Dunedin we have narrowed it down to the following excursions:

1. Dunedin Highlights
  2. Otagos Wild Wonders
  3. Dunedin Panorama
  4. Otago Penguin & Dunedin Panorama Experience.

Any info or suggestions about any or all of these tours will be appreciated and helpful to make our decision.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

lncruisers

We have been twice been on cruises that stopped in Dunedin and Akaroa. Once it was just DH and myself. The second time we had our children with us.

The first time we did a ships tour that took us to see the sights of Christchurch and we went on the Punts on the Avon which was great. The second time we split up and did two different tours offered by Shoretripsandtours. We used them for a few of our NZ stops.

In Dunedin both times we used Headfirst Travel and went on the HOHO bus to see the sights, and went to see Lanarch Castle both times as the kids wanted to see it too and I was happy to go again.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunedin was one of my favorite stops on my NZ. Australia cruise last year. We saw yellow-eyed penguins, sea lions, seals, albatross, black swans, and of course lots of sheep. I booked with Elm Wildlife Tours and recommend them so highly. It was truly an amazing day. I contacted them via email and they were great about getting back to me in a timely manner.