How Many Points on a Carnival Credit Card does it take to book 1 person on a cruise?

fllady61

The RCL card is better because you can book with any TA and still get those perks and then call RCL to apply the points. I had $300 taken off my final payment of my Voyager cruise.

With the Carnival card I hear you have to book thru only a certain TA, not your own.

I cruise both lines, but got the RCL VISA card instead.

I just booked a cruise for two. I was short some points and it cost me an additional $70+ to get a 5 day "free" cruise the charge was for an upgrade). We got the card in 2006 and just now had enough points for a free cruise. And believe that card gets well used! I will say the person I spoke to, to make reservations was very professional and helpful. Once we take this cruise we are looking for a card that we get cash back. If I were you I would look around and see what other cards are available. This one isn't the greatest.

I just booked a cruise for two. I was short some points and it cost me an additional $70+ to get a 5 day "free" cruise the charge was for an upgrade). We got the card in 2006 and just now had enough points for a free cruise. And believe that card gets well used! I will say the person I spoke to, to make reservations was very professional and helpful. Once we take this cruise we are looking for a card that we get cash back. If I were you I would look around and see what other cards are available. This one isn't the greatest.

Similar situation here except we're paying $400 for a 7-day cruise, with a balcony. Prompt friendly service for booking. Not going to use this card again unless absolutely necessary. (especially after getting a letter that the interest rate will now be 30%, which really shouldn't matter since it gets paid off) Now using a card that gives us CASH.

To answer the OPs question, it takes too many points to get a free cruise. You get 1 point for every dollar in purchases, and 2 points per dollar for using it for cruise fare and anything on board.

thanks for the info. I will check into it.

one more question... with the RCCL card, is it only RCCL cruises you can take? or can you take any cruise?

Excuse me mam, but understand that neither the RCCI or the Seamiles card are anywhere near the best reward card. Get one that offers you a CASH reward that you can spend any old way that you wish. Google "rewards credit cards" and there are a ton of them that are better than these cruise rewards cards.

My heading says it all. We are considering getting a Carnival Credit card, and we were wondering how many points you need to book a cruise? and how many points per dollar you get with the card?

Penny:

I hope this link will work properly for you, as it should take you directly to the page for the rewards program details. As others are saying about "read the fine print", I'm going to echo that statement, and suggest you look at the very bottom of the page before reading any of the large details that want to draw your eyes.

Things such as 'Based On Double Occupancy', meaning what you read there (as well as what they spiel onboard the ships) about the points system is actually half of what you need. Seems rather deceptive.

I do have the card, and I have already taken *free* (?) cruises, and will be booking one final sailing through SeaMiles, and then getting rid of the card. Going to go with a cash-rewards card next time.

https://www.seamiles.com/ITGUpload/flashimage/SeaMiles_PTandC.pdf

Just be aware that to use the points on this card, you MUST use their booking service.

We have had the Carnival card (in one of its various forms) since day one and we finally cancelled it after we used the rest of our points.

I won't go into great detail but they lied to us. We have cruised with Carnival for 26+ years, so we know what we are doing. And when someone tries to tell me that cruise insurance is REQUIRED and actually charges it to our credit card without our permission (or even asking us if we want it)...then these are people I do not want to do business with.

It is run by ICE....the same people that fouled the Carnival Vacation Club program and I will never deal with them again.

Another point is that there are MUCH BETTER programs out there for folks who are looking for a "Rewards Card". We use American Express Blue Sky.

No restrictions...no blackout dates....easy to use....7,500 points gets us $100.00 and we can book through whomever we please.

And the best part was they gave us 30,000 points ($400.00) to join!!!!

The best card I have found is the Schwab Visa which returns a flat 2% into a joined Schwab brokerage account. And there is no yearly cap. The original Carnival card was great but is long gone. I dropped the Seamiles like a hot potato.

We love to travel so we looked for a good overall travel card. One to consider is the AMEX Blue Sky. I love the perks of having an AMEX, it has no annual fee and the bennies are fantastic. You should really check them out. I was able to apply miles to my cruise. The points convert to cash which I applied to my Carnival cruise. There are lots of other cash rewards cards out there, I have a Capital One (MilesOne) card that I like as well. AMEX gives more miles though. \

Good luck!

I would advise not getting this card. I've used the card for every cruise, major purchases etc. I always keep a zero balance (pay it off when due). They just raised our interest rate to 25%. Me & DH both have credit scores over 800 so there is absolutely no reason for this except that they can. I'll be cancelling the card as soon as I get back from my cruise next week without getting to use my seamiles credits. Very disappointed.

Why cancel before using the miles? Is there an anual fee due? If you don't pay interest what is the difference. I suspect it is just the point of it.

Exactly. I thought it was crazy that they were charging me 15% when I got the card cuz that is the highest interest rate I've ever paid but I knew it would be used for purchases without carrying a balance so the interest rate didn't matter too much. But when they raised it for no reason to 25%, what would happen if I couldn't pay off the balance that month. No way. Not risking it. I have another card I could use that has just as much available credit and the APR is under 10%. It is the point that they just raised it since last month, without warning, without justification. I only noticed it when I logged onto my account online.

FYI...Discover Card has different quarterly offers where you get 5% back...if you sign-up for it each quarter ...from Jan-Mar cruises qualify.

It's not the best for cash back...normally it's UP TO 1 % back.

Check it out...

http://discovercard.com/customer-service/rewards/get-more-calendar.html?hcmpgn=0801_hpu_lhn_5cb_3_txt

Mike

Archived