Please Consider Before You Book Your Dolphin Excursion!

daveemjoshjake

For the record, I booked the Swim with Dolphins and Stingrays Excursion in Grand Cayman for myself and my family for our upcoming cruise. I thought, "Cool! Won't it be fun to be able to say I actually got to take a ride/kiss/dance with a dolphin on my vacation!" But upon doing more research I came across a few websites that most definitely made me change my mind about the whole Dolphin Excursion idea. To summarize what I learned....those adorable, highly intelligent creatures that I wanted to ride were, in one way or another, captured in a very violent, very terrifying manner. In fact, that dolphin that I had hopes of kissing and 'dancing' with is probably one of the only surviving members of it's entire dolphin pod. Have you ever heard of the movie/documentary titled "The Cove?" It is basically the story of how these dolphins came to be located in the beautiful Cayman Islands, and Cozumel, and the Bahamas, etc.....

Here's a link to the website that completely changed my mind about my Dolphin Excursion. http://www.caymandolphinpark.com/

I won't pretend to know everything about the subject, but from what I've seen tonight, I couldn't possibly proceed with this Excursion with a clear conscience. I don't hope to change the world, but I myself can't be a part of this. I'm hoping maybe some of you will feel the same way.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for taking the time to try and educate. This is something I would never do, for all the reasons you mention and more. (we could add Whale Watching, Sting Ray enounters, riding small ponies up and down hills all day long in Mexico to the list:(:(...it is my opinion that Whale watching is really nothing more than whale chasing, scaring, and interrupting their feeding etc, etc) And no, I don't eat meat or wear leather.

Sadly, many people don't agree, don't really care and just want their fun how and when they want it.

But thanks for the reminder.

I'm sorry but while you are entitled to your opinion and to following your own conscience, this is crossing a line and advocating a social policy / animal rights position that you want others in this forum to adopt. It's likely written by the same groups who want to ourlaw horse drawn carriages in Central Park.

Perhaps none of us should even patronize cruise ships! Their critics argue that they have no reason to exist these days except for our own selfish leisure at a cost of high energy expenditure and pollution to ecosystems. (A position I don't take but that's theirs.)

For the record, I booked the Swim with Dolphins and Stingrays Excursion in Grand Cayman for myself and my family for our upcoming cruise. I thought, "Cool! Won't it be fun to be able to say I actually got to take a ride/kiss/dance with a dolphin on my vacation!" But upon doing more research I came across a few websites that most definitely made me change my mind about the whole Dolphin Excursion idea. To summarize what I learned....those adorable, highly intelligent creatures that I wanted to ride were, in one way or another, captured in a very violent, very terrifying manner. In fact, that dolphin that I had hopes of kissing and 'dancing' with is probably one of the only surviving members of it's entire dolphin pod. Have you ever heard of the movie/documentary titled "The Cove?" It is basically the story of how these dolphins came to be located in the beautiful Cayman Islands, and Cozumel, and the Bahamas, etc.....

Here's a link to the website that completely changed my mind about my Dolphin Excursion. http://www.caymandolphinpark.com/

I won't pretend to know everything about the subject, but from what I've seen tonight, I couldn't possibly proceed with this Excursion with a clear conscience. I don't hope to change the world, but I myself can't be a part of this. I'm hoping maybe some of you will feel the same way.

Thanks for your time.

While I agree, in principle and don't participate in those cruise activities, I also cannot be a hypocrite and completely denounce them as I have visited the Minnesota Zoo, the Aquarium in MOA, and ridden camels at the MN state fair as well as other venues around the country.

Everything is about choice and people make them every day regarding caged animals.

Thanks for taking the time to try and educate. This is something I would never do, for all the reasons you mention and more. (we could add Whale Watching, Sting Ray enounters, riding small ponies up and down hills all day long in Mexico to the list:(:(...it is my opinion that Whale watching is really nothing more than whale chasing, scaring, and interrupting their feeding etc, etc) And no, I don't eat meat or wear leather.

Sadly, many people don't agree, don't really care and just want their fun how and when they want it.

But thanks for the reminder.

As natural omnivores, I think the only reason we get on a bandwagon about not killing and eating animals is we can think and express feelings guilt. I come from a long line of hunter gatherers who have used the complete animal with reverence. We are simple part of the food chain. Carnivores kill and eat with more indifference than we do, for the most part. For those of you who feel you can't eat meat or use the products of those animals, I wish you well. I, for one, have no guilt about it.

When you consider that every time you go into nature, you are probably having a negative effect on it. What extreme measures are you willing to take to not harm living things?

To each his own.:)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and to share that opinion respectfully - which I believe you did. I happen to agree with you about some of these animal encounters. Of course, I am not perfect and am guilty of visiting zoos and eco-parks that are tied to conservation efforts (my compromise to still show my kids some wonderful animals). Is that splitting hairs, probably, but that is my right as well. So long as people want to, and are willing to, pay for these animal encounters, they will continue to exist. Educating people is always a good thing, perhaps one less person will book this type of excursion just because you posted.

I agree with you on the caged animal excursions, I would never book one. Full disclosure: I have gone to Stingray City in GC, etc but to me those are free-roaming and there on their own free will. I think that everyone has a line that they are comfortable with, thank you for sharing.

Quote: "As natural omnivores, I think the only reason we get on a bandwagon about not killing and eating animals is we can think and express feelings guilt. I come from a long line of hunter gatherers who have used the complete animal with reverence. We are simple part of the food chain. Carnivores kill and eat with more indifference than we do, for the most part. For those of you who feel you can't eat meat or use the products of those animals, I wish you well. I, for one, have no guilt about it.

When you consider that every time you go into nature, you are probably having a negative effect on it. What extreme measures are you willing to take to not harm living things?

To each his own.:)

Very many 'extreme measures', actually. But you are completely right....it is quite likely we more often than not do have a negative effect on the environment in most of the things we do 'out there'....how many dead moose do I see on the highway?:(.

While not a hunter myself, I know a great many who are, and who, as you say, do so with complete reverance for the animal. At least the animal got to live like an animal ought to (not talking about staged hunting)....not raised in a feedlot or cage.

It's a touchy situation for many, but most don't want to acknowledge the role they play in inflicting harm on others for their own enjoyment. Just look at the third post. And yes, cruiseships most certainly exist for the sole pleasure of the cruiser (and the profit, obviously)

We can't live in a bubble where we make no impact, but maybe at least make some informed decisions, and consider a little harm reduction in what we consider fun. It's a balance.

Instead of boycotting these establishments why not join the movement to humanely capture the dolphins instead? These dolphins would die if returned to the wild, considering they are domesticated.

Those tours are also people's jobs and livelyhoods.

Thanks for your time.

Great post. If you've simply made people stop and think about this for a moment, you've made a difference. Once people have the information, then let them decide what's best for them. Live and learn.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded positively to my post. It warms my heart to know that there are others out there who feel the same way I do about animal's rights!

To those who feel I have some sort of an agenda, please know that I am just one person who really cares about animals. I posted this because I almost committed a very large sum of money to something that I am morally opposed to. I was ignorant of the facts and it almost cost me morally and financially. I figured there might be others out there like me that would appreciate this information as much as I appreciated it.

I have no intentions of changing the way the world works; I know there are people out there who aren't concerned with animal's rights. I do not hope to change their minds. I do ask that they be tolerant, however, of those of us who do.

Thank you.

I have to tell you that I feel a bit differently.

I feel that they are going to capture them as there are always going to be people intrigued by them, and yes, having done some of these myself I can see why people do it.

But lets look at the other side of...while they may be captured in a way we prefer to not discuss, many of these are born and raised in these parks/zoo, they are fed, given animal care and are protected from elements that could otherwise harm or kill them...

I feel as if I am giving them money to take care of these animals and provide them with the things they need...no, they don't have their freedom but imagine what would happen to those animals if they stopped being able to buy them food and medical care. And that is what will happen if people stop doing these excursions...or they could send them back to the wild (as another poster mentioned) where they would probably either die or be killed with in day as they just aren't wild anymore.

I am not sure about everywhere but I can tell you this...if you have ever been to Blue Lagoon in Nassau and encountered their dolphins, they seem very well cared for, fed well and have a great, natural environment...they aren't living in swimming pools or anything...

While I haven't booked (nor do I plan to) a dolphin or stringray excursion, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed our Whale Watching Tour in Alaska. The boats were very small in comparison to the massive boats docked in the Juneau Harbor, our departure point. I don't feel this interrupted the natural behavior of the whales in the least because ships/boats are not foreign to these animals. We also maintained safe distances. It was also nice to see dolphins swimming alongside the cruise ship as we sailed through the inside passage.

I love animals as much as the next person but what impact do you think having hundreds of ships sailing the waters (many large liners and cruise ships) has on the waters these animals live in? I would be just as concerned about that as animal abuse.

Again, not trying to change the world here, nor solve all the worlds problems....I'm just providing those who are interested with information so that they can make their own informed decision. I'm certainly NOT telling anybody else how they should live their lives!

And, for the record, my concerns don't lie in the treatment they receive once they're in their 'new' homes, it's the horrific way they were captured that bothers me. (And I'm not suggesting a boycott of legitimate institutions that obtain these animals for rehabilitative purposes either.)

Thanks for your time.

I've been reading Cruise Critic for a while (just booked my first tour a few days ago!!!). I have seen the documentary you're talking about several months back before I was even thinking of cruising and I must admit it turned me off to anything involving dolphins as entertainment.

Thanks for sharing to others.

While you may have valid concerns about Dolphin enclosures (I am more worried about our own safety as dolphins are not always the sweethearts people think they are), you are talking about Stingray City as if they are captive there.

The truth is: that sandbar in Grand Cayman has been attracting stingrays for many, many years. Fisherman in the past would stop there and clean fish so the stingrays knew it was a food source for them. Later, people realized that they could take excursion boats out with people to stand on the sandbar and see and gently touch stingrays that are being hand fed.

Big difference.

The problem I have with that "video" is it is NOT of a dolphin capture for amusement parks it is of a whale hunt for food. These groups post these videos for outrage purposes to further their cause. While their cause is a noble one they would get a LOT more support if they didn't use subterfuge and misleading videos as a way to do it.

The actual truth is the USA outlawed LIVE capture of marine mammals back in the early 1990s through the Marine Mammal Protection Act for entertainment purposes. Captive breeding is the ONLY way reputable parks obtain their animals and parks like Atlantis and this one utilize captive breeding not live capture. Does it take longer: yes. Is there a higher mortality rate? Yes. But only unscrupulous programs buy from poachers.

The second issue is the picture of the dolphin with the beach balls is CLEARLY photo shopped. If you want my support use real pictures.

Last: do I think marine mammals in parks are happy? No. I have done trainer for a day at Seaworld and been to Discovery Cove and based on what I know about these HIGHLY intelligent animals I believe these parks should be outlawed because these are animals that live in extended family groups for a lifetime that travel hundreds if not thousands of miles per day in the ocean. I don't care how large the tank is made or how "natural" the environment or how much enrichment play the keepers give them, studies show they live one third the natural life span in captivity. That is NOT natural. Hence the need for captive breeding to replace them. No matter how much conservation or public education the parks claim to be doing they can do it without captivity of the animals.

If this group want support for their cause they should seek it honestly and not with propaganda and lies.

While you may have valid concerns about Dolphin enclosures (I am more worried about our own safety as dolphins are not always the sweethearts people think they are), you are talking about Stingray City as if they are captive there.

The truth is: that sandbar in Grand Cayman has been attracting stingrays for many, many years. Fisherman in the past would stop there and clean fish so the stingrays knew it was a food source for them. Later, people realized that they could take excursion boats out with people to stand on the sandbar and see and gently touch stingrays that are being hand fed.

Big difference.

I'm not sure who you're referring to in your post, but I have no issues whatsoever concerning Stingray City. I'm well aware of the history of Stingray City and I have no problems with it at all.

While I haven't booked (nor do I plan to) a dolphin or stringray excursion, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed our Whale Watching Tour in Alaska. The boats were very small in comparison to the massive boats docked in the Juneau Harbor, our departure point. I don't feel this interrupted the natural behavior of the whales in the least because ships/boats are not foreign to these animals. We also maintained safe distances. It was also nice to see dolphins swimming alongside the cruise ship as we sailed through the inside passage.

I love animals as much as the next person but what impact do you think having hundreds of ships sailing the waters (many large liners and cruise ships) has on the waters these animals live in? I would be just as concerned about that as animal abuse.

So you see cruising as animal abuse and are on a cruising forum? Not sure if im following.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

So you see cruising as animal abuse and are on a cruising forum? Not sure if im following.

Boy talk about making an assumption!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm not the one here advocating for animals' rights. My post was simply directed to those who have issues with the safety, welfare, and mistreatment of marine mammals to consider that other things affect the well-being of marine animals.

The problem I have with that "video" is it is NOT of a dolphin capture for amusement parks it is of a whale hunt for food. These groups post these videos for outrage purposes to further their cause. While their cause is a noble one they would get a LOT more support if they didn't use subterfuge and misleading videos as a way to do it.

The actual truth is the USA outlawed LIVE capture of marine mammals back in the early 1990s through the Marine Mammal Protection Act for entertainment purposes. Captive breeding is the ONLY way reputable parks obtain their animals and parks like Atlantis and this one utilize captive breeding not live capture. Does it take longer: yes. Is there a higher mortality rate? Yes. But only unscrupulous programs buy from poachers.

The second issue is the picture of the dolphin with the beach balls is CLEARLY photo shopped. If you want my support use real pictures.

Last: do I think marine mammals in parks are happy? No. I have done trainer for a day at Seaworld and been to Discovery Cove and based on what I know about these HIGHLY intelligent animals I believe these parks should be outlawed because these are animals that live in extended family groups for a lifetime that travel hundreds if not thousands of miles per day in the ocean. I don't care how large the tank is made or how "natural" the environment or how much enrichment play the keepers give them, studies show they live one third the natural life span in captivity. That is NOT natural. Hence the need for captive breeding to replace them. No matter how much conservation or public education the parks claim to be doing they can do it without captivity of the animals.

If this group want support for their cause they should seek it honestly and not with propaganda and lies.

As I believe I mentioned in my original post, I don't claim to have all the facts. And I'm not looking for anybody's support. I started this thread because I came across some things online that really disturbed me. I simply wanted others like me, who are passionate about animals rights, to know that this sort of cruelty (the round-up) existed. I would certainly hope that anyone who reads this thread and feels some concern would continue to do their own 'research' and form their own opinions on the matter, just as you did. Nothing more, nothing less.

As I believe I mentioned in my original post, I don't claim to have all the facts. And I'm not looking for anybody's support. I started this thread because I came across some things online that really disturbed me. I simply wanted others like me, who are passionate about animals rights, to know that this sort of cruelty (the round-up) existed. I would certainly hope that anyone who reads this thread and feels some concern would continue to do their own 'research' and form their own opinions on the matter, just as you did. Nothing more, nothing less.

Round ups for amusement parks DO NOT go on anymore as you insinuated in your original post; THAT is the problem. The video link on that website is NOT of a round up of marine mammals for entertainment purposes it is of a whale hunt for food. Even those hunts have dwindled to one organized hunt per year due to anti-whaling sentiment.

The problem is you didn't get any real facts before you launched on your crusade. The pity is you have a worthwhile cause and had you done some valid research and chosen an actual bonafide group to support your beliefs rather than a scare tactic website you would probably be getting WAY more support. You put up a thread with your beliefs, no real facts, and one propaganda laden website to support your belief.

The reality is cruise ships dumping garbage and diesel fuel into the ocean are probably doing WAY more damage to the ecosystem and marine mammals than captive breeding programs and dolphin encounters.

Round ups for amusement parks DO NOT go on anymore as you insinuated in your original post; THAT is the problem. The video link on that website is NOT of a round up of marine mammals for entertainment purposes it is of a whale hunt for food. Even those hunts have dwindled to one organized hunt per year due to anti-whaling sentiment.

The problem is you didn't get any real facts before you launched on your crusade. The pity is you have a worthwhile cause and had you done some valid research and chosen an actual bonafide group to support your beliefs rather than a scare tactic website you would probably be getting WAY more support. You put up a thread with your beliefs, no real facts, and one propaganda laden website to support your belief.

The reality is cruise ships dumping garbage and diesel fuel into the ocean are probably doing WAY more damage to the ecosystem and marine mammals than captive breeding programs and dolphin encounters.

Geez. You sound like a very angry person. No, you sound like a Taijii fisherman.

1. I never once mentioned amusement parks. Not once. I only spoke of dolphinariums used by cruise excursion companies.

2. This "crusade" you think I'm on isn't. It's nothing more than a thread to give people something to think about. It was never meant to be something worthy of your ranting and raving and finger pointing.

3. I've gotten LOTS of support, here and on other threads in the cruising community. It would appear, based on my responses that you are in the minority.

4. You cry propaganda while you spew bogus facts, ie. "one hunt a year..." Your "one hunt a year..." is actually a season long. The Taijii dolphin slaughter is from September through March. Way to check your facts.

5. It's not just a round-up for food. They capture the young (this last seasons estimate as of January 11th was 140), they are sent to the Taijii Whaling Museum, trained, and THEN sent to dolphinariums around the world. Hmmm, thus making it possible for dolphinariums to conveniently claim that they don't obtain their dolphins from the wild.

6. "The reality is cruise ships dumping garbage and diesel fuel into the ocean are probably doing WAY more damage to the ecosystem and marine mammals than captive breeding programs and dolphin encounters." Well, since you're so sure....

Seriously? Calm down. You don't have to like it, but you sure as heck don't need to have a coronary over it.

Archived