Embarkation lunch in dining room???

ellie1145

Me and my GF did lunch in the MDR on embarkation on the Golden Princess cruise we took last week. I looked in the Patter to figure out which dining room was open (it was the Donatello dining room, which turned out to be the one that was used for breakfast and lunch service all week) and we were able to walk right in and get a seat, no crowds to speak of. It's a nice way to start off a cruise. In fact, we ended up eating most of our meals on that cruise in the MDR (occasionally we'd end up at shared tables, but usually they'd find us our own table.)

Edited by Vexorg

I think the point of closing promptly at 1:30 is that the MDR lunch is catering to the early boarders, ie Suites and Elites and not the "masses"...

I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed poor planning. I doubt I'll get to the ship before 1:30 anyway, so I'll head to the IC for lunch. I know better than to attempt the HC on embarkation day

Edited by Ryndam2002

If you've got luck, a friend, and 39 bucks, there is, as many CCers know, a surefire way to eat embarkation lunch in the MDR. The Bon Voyage Experience got our friend and us onboard before everyone except a few disabled folks, the chance to (successfully) sign up early for the Chef's Table, a souvenir photo, and lunch and wine (which the waiter poured for all three of us) at noon, with time to hang out onboard afterwards. The BVE isn't always offered, but if it is...

The staff do seem to strongly encourage you to the buffet, and unless you have been to your cabin to pick up your Patter, then you may not know which restaurant to use.

As Shepp noted, an MDR is open for those on the Bon Voyage Experience, and others as well. Ask here on the boards if anyone has been on a BVE on your ship recently, and if they remember which restaurant was open. On Star it was Portofino (Deck 6 - Fiesta) and that is where I am going to try when I first board.

It's usually the mid ship dining room, one or the other. Don't ask. Just go see if one of them is open. They are on top of each other, really, one deck up or down. If you ask, you will be told to go to the buffet. I don't ask anymore. I just go hunting.

It's usually the mid ship dining room, one or the other. Don't ask. Just go see if one of them is open. They are on top of each other, really, one deck up or down. If you ask, you will be told to go to the buffet. I don't ask anymore. I just go hunting.

I usually ask just for the fun of it to see what responses we get.

Then, instead of heading up to buffet, we also hunt down the open MDR.

Really makes such a lovely way to start our cruise.

We boarded the Golden yesterday at 11;30 am and when we went to the boarding area after checking in, the waiting room was almost empty. No staggered boarding.

We went to our cabin, but there was no Patter and had to almost arm wrestle the Purser to get a Patter even though I told him that there were none in the cabin. We then went to the Donatella restaurant for lunch.

No cacciatore, my favorite and no salmon, but we had the barbecue legs, actually boneless thighs that were delicious and the cod that was equally good. Other than the refrigerator not working and we are still docked at 7 am the next day, we are enjoying our getaway.

A final note, we requested a table for 2 in the early traditional dining and although we were told repeatedly that it was guaranteed, we were assigned to a table for 6. After an hour standing in line at dinner time, we ended up in Anytime. There is no longer information in the Patter of where to meet in the afternoon to speak with the Matre d', because the new policy is he meets you at the entrance at 5:30 pm at the dining room.

Edited by candide333

I love this exact embarkation lunch! Can anyone who has cruised in the last couple of months verify that the salmon is still on the menu?

I was on the grand a couple of weeks ago and lunch was a choice of Trout Almondine and steak.. I was surprised, but asked for salmon and had no problem being served..

We then went to the Donatella restaurant for lunch.

No cacciatore, my favorite and no salmon, but we had the barbecue legs, actually boneless thighs that were delicious and the cod that was equally good. Other than the refrigerator not working and we are still docked at 7 am the next day, we are enjoying our getaway.

You people are having the worst luck! :( I hope the ship gets fixed before I'm on her. DH will be happy to hear there might be cod for lunch. He loves the salmon, but he's always happy with the cod. I'm wondering if they are using alternating lunch menus from one cruise to the next since people are reporting different experiences.

We had no problem having lunch in the dining room on the Ruby TA earlier this month. We boarded around 11:15, and we were in the dining room at noon. There was salmon, beef--but not the strip loin, and another item. We both had the beef which was very good. There was no veal ravioli for the pasta course. We had the bay shrimp with avocado appetizer, and the grand marnier souffle with vanilla sauce--or is it vanilla souffle with grand marnier sauce?

Because of the great sales earlier this year we took 4 Caribbean cruises, one on the Emerald and three on the Ruby. We were able to get lunch in the dining room on all four cruises. I think the only time in the last few years that we didn't have lunch in the mdr was the time we boarded after 1:30pm due to some port issues.

Hi,

I recently cruised aboard the Caribbean Princess (August 28, 2014 sailing) and enjoyed having lunch in the dining room on embarkation day. This is much more pleasent than the Horizon Court (which usually seems especially crowded on the first day since people don't yet know their way around).

However, my first lunch was interesting. I was traveling solo and said that I was willing to share a table. I was seated at a large table next to a couple (the other seats were still empty). The couple got into a heated argument before ordering lunch and the wife stormed out of the dining room (this argument had nothing to do with me). Her husband soon followed her out. This wasn't a very good start for their cruise. I then was alone at this large table. Fortunately, some nice people joined me and the lunch was pleasant.

Chuck

Seacruise, if you remember, which dining room on the Caribbean Princess was open embarkation day? Thank you.

A final note, we requested a table for 2 in the early traditional dining and although we were told repeatedly that it was guaranteed, we were assigned to a table for 6. After an hour standing in line at dinner time, we ended up in Anytime.

It's my very strong impression that early traditional seating can indeed be confirmed, but that table size is always a request and can not be guaranteed, regardless of whatever you TA or Princess phone rep might have told you.

I always have lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. On every ship I have been on it has been in the dining room on deck 6 midship. I am disappointed to hear the menu has changed but hoping I can still get the ravioli!

Edited by Carolyn R

It's my very strong impression that early traditional seating can indeed be confirmed, but that table size is always a request and can not be guaranteed, regardless of whatever you TA or Princess phone rep might have told you.

My complaint is that the Matre D's list that he showed me, indicated that we requested any number of seating, not the 2 that we requested. We had no chance of getting 2.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the Star Princess, and the only people allowed to use an MDR for lunch were the people participating in the BVE (Bon Voyage Experience).

At our roll call I talked to two people (Elites) who had gone to the MDR, where lunch was being served to the BVE's and they were turned away. They explained that they really like their first lunch on board to be in a main dining room, but they were still sent to the buffet.

I also double-checked our Patter, and the only lunch options listed are the buffet restaurants on deck 14. I hope this is not going to be fleet-wide trend! :mad:

That's interesting because in the Dining and Nightlife section of the Cruise Answer Book it says under 1st Day Dining that you are invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ships multiple dining rooms.

It further says "or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff".

I've already printed this page off.

Just got off the Star Princess, and the only people allowed to use an MDR for lunch were the people participating in the BVE (Bon Voyage Experience).

Before boarding the CB in Houston earlier this year, we were handed the paper shown below. Note that it makes no mention of the dining room as an option for lunch.

scn015Noticeatembarkation_zps76a488f4.jpg

However, the Patter did have the information about which dining room was open for lunch.

Also, the map of the ship handed out at check-in said

Is lunch being served on board?

Shortly after we welcome you onboard, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship's dining rooms. Check your Princess Patter for dining locations and times.

Just got off the Crown about a week ago. They did serve lunch in the MDR on embarkation day but it was not listed in the Patter. Very few people were there. The menu was limited. There were just two choices for your appetizer and your entree and one choice for dessert (soufflé).

I noticed that lunch was served in the MDR not only on embarkation day and sea days, but also the day we were ported in Ensenada. I believe they serve lunch in the MDR on port days when they are in port for only a partial day and when they are in a port where a lot of cruisers do not leave the ship. If you like lunch in the MDR always check the Patter even on port days to see if it is served.

Edited by Princess Patches

Our recent experience on the Star was lunches only on the two sea days. We also stopped in Ensenada, and many people did stay on board, or at least returned for lunch, but the MDR was not open.

They did offer a tea in the MDR every day.