Sodas Cost $3 On RCCL Ships?

Raxter54

Mt wife and I are going on our first cruise in February (Serenade of the Seas). I noticed that RCCL says that iced tea, lemonade, and water is free, but soda cost $3. Why is there an extra charge for soda? Is this a logistics thing, or just a way to get a few extra bucks off the passengers? Just curious...

like a baseball/football game, but a lot cheaper. Did you look into the soda purchase? been going on for many years.

Limited amount of what they can carry, and a good reason to charge

Mt wife and I are going on our first cruise in February (Serenade of the Seas). I noticed that RCCL says that iced tea, lemonade, and water is free, but soda cost $3. Why is there an extra charge for soda? Is this a logistics thing, or just a way to get a few extra bucks off the passengers? Just curious...

BYOS on board

And....

Royal Caribbean does NOT let you bring your own soft drinks onboard. One of the reasons I cruise Princess....I can bring my own on board if I don't like what they offer..

I have never had a problem bringing a reasonable quantity (12 pack) of soda onboard any Royal Caribbean ship.

Perhaps it helps to understand the business model of most mass-market cruise lines. They try to cover all their costs with the cruise fares, but the profit is primarily derived from maximizing onboard expenditures. RCI is one of the leaders in the industry an coaxing the maximum dollars per passenger day out of their customers.

Hank

Been to the movies or a ball game lately? Concessions are the profit makers.

If I did have tickets for ball games or movies, I certainly couldn't afford the concessions :o

All I know is I can get a soda from the cafeteria vending machine at work for 75 cents, so $3 seemed a little high. And from what I've been reading, the Serenade of the Seas doesn't have soda fountains, so my wife would have to go to one of the bars to get a soda?

If I did have tickets for ball games or movies, I certainly couldn't afford the concessions :o

All I know is I can get a soda from the cafeteria vending machine at work for 75 cents, so $3 seemed a little high. And from what I've been reading, the Serenade of the Seas doesn't have soda fountains, so my wife would have to go to one of the bars to get a soda?

Yeah - but when you walk out the door at work - you're still at work!

If toy don't want to be "nickle dimed" for everything, consider a premium cruise line. With the right TA and cruise itinerary you may be pleasantly surprised at the comparable cost (not to mention amenities and service).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

honestly the only time this is consistently enforced is Spring Break time.

the larger ships with the Coke Freestyle machines can be a blast. you jsuthave to buy the mug with the chip.

Does anyone know if the Golden Princess has a Soda Fountain? I'm learning such lots from reading, and enjoying my cruise countdown to paying the deposit, then it really starts!

Crochetcruise :cool:

It seems that they charge for bottled water as well but "tap" water is available free of charge. It's the same story about bringing bottled water on board. Online, their website says it is NOT allowed but multiple threads have testimonials that people slap a luggage tag on a 24 pack and it shows up in their rooms no problem.

It seems that they charge for bottled water as well but "tap" water is available free of charge. It's the same story about bringing bottled water on board. Online, their website says it is NOT allowed but multiple threads have testimonials that people slap a luggage tag on a 24 pack and it shows up in their rooms no problem.

Many people now reporting you have to put it in some type of luggage or porters may not accept it. I don't blame them, they prefer some type of handle to move it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Hi I just came off Serenade 2 weeks ago. It was $2.50 for a can of coke, we pre-paid gratuities so didn't put any extra tip on top. There were no help yourself fountains. I didn't get the soda card as we were in ports most of the day, 10 out of 12 days so it wouldn't have been worth it to me.

I took a 4 pack of small coke bottles in my carry on and didn't get questioned. As did both my parents, my brother and SIL. I also occasionally took one on board from a port.

The coke machine in our office is a quarter. You sir are being ripped off. :p

The coke machine in our office is a quarter. You sir are being ripped off. :p

My wife's boss stocks the break room with soda, coffee, tea, beer, wine, chips, cookies, soup, etc. There is no charge to the employees.

Yes, I did include beer and wine. They don't drink it often but sometimes do have a beer or glass of wine in the afternoon.

If Dr. Pepper is your wife's drink of choice, put a 6-pack in the carry on luggage. While the stated policy is not to allow soda on board, it really will be fine. We don't normally drink 3 soft drinks a day, but on a cruise, we will drink a couple of sodas out by the pool and during show or while sitting people watching so we get the soda package.

• 2 weeks later...
I checked Royal Caribbean's website before I posted. Their policy is still NO....
Like so many other aspects of life, there's the published rule . . . and then there's what happens. In reality, you'll have no problem bringing a small amount of soda onboard.

Do double-bag it in a ziplock to prevent a clothing mishap.

Edited by MrsPete

The soda cost are still a very small percentage of overall vacation cost. Just roll with it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the type of thinking that allows cruise lines and other businesses to nickel-and-dime customers to death.

When a person is paying a lot of money for a cruise you'd think the cruise line wouldn't be so greedy as to charge $3 for a soda that costs way less than a dollar.

As long as people put up with it, it will continue to happen.

I just love the way cruise lines say it's an all-inclusive vacation yet they manage to bring in extra revenue through the nickel-and-dime route.

This is the type of thinking that allows cruise lines and other businesses to nickel-and-dime customers to death.

When a person is paying a lot of money for a cruise you'd think the cruise line wouldn't be so greedy as to charge $3 for a soda that costs way less than a dollar.

As long as people put up with it, it will continue to happen.

I just love the way cruise lines say it's an all-inclusive vacation yet they manage to bring in extra revenue through the nickel-and-dime route.

Pease show me where the cruise lines say it is all inclusive vacation. Some of the super expensive lines maybe, but certainly not the mass market lines.

No one is nickel and dimed to death. Anything over and above the cruise fare and gratuities is a choice to either purchase or not.

Perhaps "inclusive" was a wrong word. I would say that cruises state how much cheaper they are than non-cruise vacation.

The cruise fare includes meals. Meals include a drink. My meals - and probably that of the vast majority of people - include a cold beverage such as a soda.

If I was to purchase a soda on-board would it include free refills? At most restaurants now if a soda is purchased then the refill is free.

(I'm planning on bringing my own soda on my cruise in any case. Princess offers only Coca Cola products and my drink of preference is Diet Dr. Pepper, not a Coca Cola produc.)

Perhaps "inclusive" was a wrong word. I would say that cruises state how much cheaper they are than non-cruise vacation.
They may be cheaper but I don't see the cruise lines advertising this.

The cruise fare includes meals. Meals include a drink. My meals - and probably that of the vast majority of people - include a cold beverage such as a soda.
I don't think so, the vasy majoruty seems to be wine, mixed drink, iced tea or beer with a few soda drinkers thrown in.

If I was to purchase a soda on-board would it include free refills? At most restaurants now if a soda is purchased then the refill is free.
Probaby not. When I do have a soda, I can never drink more than one.

(I'm planning on bringing my own soda on my cruise in any case. Princess offers only Coca Cola products and my drink of preference is Diet Dr. Pepper, not a Coca Cola produc.)

Edited by iheartbda

Anybody who needs a "fix" of their favorite artificially carbonated, artificially colored, artificially flavored, artificially sweetened, artificially preserved city tap water - that has been linked to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer (among other illnesses) has much bigger problems than a $3 price tag.

Edited by BruceMuzz

They may be cheaper but I don't see the cruise lines advertising this.

One of the first cruise catalogs stated explicitly that cruising was cheaper than other vacations. Of course, they said that 3 meals a day for 2 people was $80 - a price way above what we usually pay.