First time Mediterranean cruise advice please

Cruisa Loosa

Hello everyone. We have booked a 22 day cruise in the Mediterranean on HAL for July 2015. Although we have cruised several times before I am wondering if there are any tips or advice that you might offer for this part of the world. I have checked the port threads on CC, but thought I would ask here too.

Thanks in advance fellow cruise addicts!

Agree all the tips on the Ports will be found on the Ports boards.

I would also join your Roll Call, which can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

to see what info others on your cruise have developed.

For all the HAL info you will ever need, just jump over to the HAL board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

End of July into August is the hottest time of the year in the Med.

Med cruises tend to be very port intensive, so planning of excursions and relax time will be important.

You may need a vacation to rest up from your cruise. :D

Make sure you each have a bottle of water with you when you go touring - it will be hot - and bring a hat and sunscreen. Also, take advantage of your sea days, because you can really get tired from the port-intensive cruise. Use those days to relax and rest up for your next full day of tours. We've been to the Mediterranean 3 times and can't wait till we can go again.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Take Euro's with you. Most ports take Euro's but Turkey takes Lira's. Most Starbucks will even take US Money along with Euro's. They will have a sign with a Dollar symbol and the Euro symbol. Do not do any $$ conversions on the ship. You will see lots of ATM's and their conversion cost is lower. Stay away from the Money Changers their commission can be as much as 25%.

Good luck on your cruise.

Although Croatia has joined the EU they have not adopted the Euro as yet and many shops will only accept their Kuna; you are likely better to purchase them ashore at an ATM and be careful to not buy to many as it is a currency that is a bit hard to exchange. We have found 500 Kuna is lots for a day in Split or Dubrovnik.

Thanks everyone! I have purchased Rick Steve's book which looks excellent. I have joined the roll call and checked out the port sections on CC. Tons of great advice on each port.

Can't wait to go! Will start booking private excursions and tickets for various attractions around Christmas time. Love the planning phase...so much to learn.

We did 2 Med cruises, both in June and the temperatures were hot. The absolute BEST thing we did was to book private cars and private tour guides. We were able to maximize our time at each port and do it more comfortably. We knew we weren't waiting on others or including things/places we weren't interested in seeing/doing. We also had a nice air-conditioned car and nice bottles of ice cold water waiting on us. Use companies recommended highly on cruise critic and TripAdvisor. We had the best, most reliable guys on every tour. Their reputation depends on them getting you back to the ship on time, so we didn't worry. We bought cooling rags. You can purchase them on Amazon for cheap. We carried a bottle of water (which activates them) and they were worth EVERY cent. Take plenty of small euros, including some for the restrooms. In many of the towns, we had to pay to use the restrooms. Enjoy. For us, it was the trip of a lifetime and memories we will never forget.

We did 2 Med cruises, both in June and the temperatures were hot. The absolute BEST thing we did was to book private cars and private tour guides. We were able to maximize our time at each port and do it more comfortably. We knew we weren't waiting on others or including things/places we weren't interested in seeing/doing. We also had a nice air-conditioned car and nice bottles of ice cold water waiting on us. Use companies recommended highly on cruise critic and TripAdvisor. We had the best, most reliable guys on every tour. Their reputation depends on them getting you back to the ship on time, so we didn't worry. We bought cooling rags. You can purchase them on Amazon for cheap. We carried a bottle of water (which activates them) and they were worth EVERY cent. Take plenty of small euros, including some for the restrooms. In many of the towns, we had to pay to use the restrooms. Enjoy. For us, it was the trip of a lifetime and memories we will never forget.

Great advice, thank you! We have been to Malta for the month of July two times in the past, so I know first hand of the heat you are referring to....whew!

Sounds like private tours are the best way to go. We are travelling with another couple so can easily share the cost.

Love the idea of the cooling rags, I have one and forgot all about it so will pop it in the bag of goodies now so I don't forget it.

Do you think booking tours and tickets in December will be too far in advance?

Great tips, sounds like it was an amazing experience for you. What countries did you visit?