How the times have changed! Roll Calls!

Bramcruiser

I am not sure if its the Cunard experience or simply the passengers who now sail. I once recall the roll calls being populated by a group of people who were excited about the upcoming trip (either long timers who loved the ship or new cruisers looking forward to the experience). People wanted to see who else were going to share the experience and do meet and mingles onboard. Granted some roll calls were quiet while others took off but the people who came to them came for the same reason.

This year we are going on our first Cunard cruise in four years and suddenly I am getting a different feel. All I see if people who make announcements for sharing shore excursions - which I don't have a problem with if part of the overall experience - but it seems its the only focus on the messages I am seeing.

Still excited about our upcoming European vacation and Cunard cruise but for the first time not really interested in signing up on the roll calls. ITs the ship and the people we used to sign up for in the good old days.

I am not sure if its the Cunard experience or simply the passengers who now sail. I once recall the roll calls being populated by a group of people who were excited about the upcoming trip (either long timers who loved the ship or new cruisers looking forward to the experience). People wanted to see who else were going to share the experience and do meet and mingles onboard. Granted some roll calls were quiet while others took off but the people who came to them came for the same reason.

This year we are going on our first Cunard cruise in four years and suddenly I am getting a different feel. All I see if people who make announcements for sharing shore excursions - which I don't have a problem with if part of the overall experience - but it seems its the only focus on the messages I am seeing.

Still excited about our upcoming European vacation and Cunard cruise but for the first time not really interested in signing up on the roll calls. ITs the ship and the people we used to sign up for in the good old days.

Yes, it has become that way it seems. Although it has only been a year since I last joined one, I have noticed the same thing. Perhaps something to do with the tour prices on Cunard. Having never really been a "tour" person, I don't really know if prices have increased. But perhaps that goes some way to explaining people trying to find cheaper alternatives?

That's funny. I have read that Cunardists don't tend to participate in rollcalls and was (pleasantly) surprised by how very active and social our roll call is.

Perhaps because it is for a crossing and there are not many opportunities for sharing tours I haven't seen that sort of activity. I don't know how it compares historically, but we have been rolling along for many months and so far have forty signed up ; -)

I agree...this is our 1st Cunard voyage, and I have been so disappointed with roll call. I was looking forward to real advice, how good or bad the food is, and other things about the ship. All I hear is how you are "supposed" to dress! On our previous 49 day Princess cruises there was sooo much chatter, but for Cunard, There is so little.

I think the Cunard part of the CC forum is pretty quiet.

There has been, in my experience anyway, some pretty heavy handed moderation which tends to stifle debate.

Of course the Cunard fleet is small and that too probably impacts on how many people visit here.

If you have any specific questions though I am sure you will get answers. There are some very helpful and experienced Cunarders here.

It seems as if it would, necessarily, be a smaller group of potential participants, than the lines with multiple ships, carrying thousands of passengers. There are just plain MORE people sailing Princess or Celebrity than Cunard. Although those who consider themselves Cunardists seem pretty brand dedicated ; -)

I haven't any historical data to compare to, but we have at this point, 46 participants in the rollcall, all but one of them representing a couple, so I was surprised to find that we have (potentially ; -) over 90 rollcallers for the meet and greet planned.

That seems as if it is comparable to what I remember on Celebrity.

I've noticed very little overlap between Roll Call participation and regular Cunard board posters. I don't feel any connection to it when I see names of people who rarely if ever post in this forum, but that's just me. Sometimes there's an online dialogue between two couples and it feels more like I'm eavesdropping on a private conversation.

On my "grand" voyage last year a "superorganizer", who only posts to run M&Gs and nothing else, took control. (To be fair the vast majority appeared happy that she did so.) She asked for names, stateroom locations. An entire spectrum of activities like a gift exchange and cabin crawls was planned. And, she moved the time up from 2PM to 11AM in order to accommodate the Captain's schedule so he could drop by. This put the M&G smack up against Stephen Payne's first lecture. (No matter what anybody tells you you're not free to just participate in what you want. You'll be the party pooper.)

Perhaps organizing a lot of activities is useful on other lines where they don't have Cunard's daytime program to fill time on sea days. In this case the CC activities conflicted with the program. The only reason I would attend a M&G is to personally meet the frequent posters here.

Edited by BlueRiband

If it is a choice between a Meet & Greet or a Stephen Payne lecture then Payne wins out hands down. On an upcoming TA our M&G is proposed for 11 am. My attendance will depend on the morning lectures for that day.

To be fair, only an extremely small percentage of Cunard passengers are members of CC and even less participate in Roll Calls and of those, only a few actually attend "Meet and Greets". I myself have only ever attended one as they always seem to clash with things I would rather do at the time. :)

Of recent years there's been lots of talk on the internet and more mainstream media about not posting up your holiday plans on forums/chat boards etc because you are advertising the fact that your house will be empty at a very specific date for a known period of time.

So maybe people are now less willing to publicly advertise this fact ?

Of recent years there's been lots of talk on the internet and more mainstream media about not posting up your holiday plans on forums/chat boards etc because you are advertising the fact that your house will be empty at a very specific date for a known period of time.

So maybe people are now less willing to publicly advertise this fact ?

Not sure how anyone would know a posters real name or adress unless they were foolish enough to divulge it.

David.

Not sure how anyone would know a posters real name or adress unless they were foolish enough to divulge it.

David.

Or if the "superorganizer' was foolish enough to put in a hot link to her spreadsheet containing real names, home cities, and cabin locations. :eek:

I've noticed very little overlap between Roll Call participation and regular Cunard board posters. I don't feel any connection to it when I see names of people who rarely if ever post in this forum, but that's just me. Sometimes there's an online dialogue between two couples and it feels more like I'm eavesdropping on a private conversation.

On my "grand" voyage last year a "superorganizer", who only posts to run M&Gs and nothing else, took control. (To be fair the vast majority appeared happy that she did so.) She asked for names, stateroom locations. An entire spectrum of activities like a gift exchange and cabin crawls was planned. And, she moved the time up from 2PM to 11AM in order to accommodate the Captain's schedule so he could drop by. This put the M&G smack up against Stephen Payne's first lecture. (No matter what anybody tells you you're not free to just participate in what you want. You'll be the party pooper.)

Perhaps organizing a lot of activities is useful on other lines where they don't have Cunard's daytime program to fill time on sea days. In this case the CC activities conflicted with the program. The only reason I would attend a M&G is to personally meet the frequent posters here.

I agree with your observations, BlueRiband. In fact, I skipped that meeting last year on the 200th crossing because it was an out-of-sight second choice to hearing Stephen Payne; I'm not interested in meeting other passengers who don't want to hear what Queen Mary 2's designer has to say. On several occasions on board QM2 I have enjoyed meeting the person behind a username with whom I have shared opinions and information on this board. That has occurred almost entirely by happenstance, and I'm content to leave it that way.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. We had a very active roll call. Yes, there was some planning of excursions but we also discussed getting visas, pre-cruise planning, theme nights, suggestions from previous world cruisers, etc. More than anything, I appreciated getting to know some of my fellow cruisers in advance.

There was also no pressure for the meet and greets. Some people on the roll call came to all of them, some to one or two and some to none. No problem.

That's the way I remember it too Scrapnana - at least in the good old days. It was all very informal and no pressure.

Well, I seem to be the opposite of the new wave. I would not 100% be against sharing shore excursions but I'm perfectly fine going off by myself and my other half and leave the socializing on the ship. And if the days of people wanting to get together are gone so be it. I'm made some good acquaintances over the years on Cunard - the only line to date where I have actually kept in contact with others. I still look forward to this upcoming trip which will be a combi 50th birthday and 25th anniversary celebration. Its just one third of our overall European experience this September. I'm sure I will have a great cruise and wish the best for everyone else. (It'll just be the first Cunard voyage I didn't join a roll call nor attend a M&G!).

That's the way I remember it too Scrapnana - at least in the good old days. It was all very informal and no pressure.

..(It'll just be the first Cunard voyage I didn't join a roll call nor attend a M&G!).

That's what I liked about the concept of a Cunard M&G - it was just that. Just show up at 2PM in the Commodore Club, first sea day, if one was so inclined. No sign ups, no expectations. Come if you want. Nothing is expected except the pleasure of one's company.

On the voyage where the "superorganizer" took over anybody who showed up at 2PM would have been 3 hours too late. And anybody who followed the roll call and did show up at 11 would have unexpectedly found that a gift exchange was expected among those who did sign up. No mention of this was made on the roll call pages until after the voyage was over. So I'll presume information was sent via email or a social media site known only to those who specifically signed up.

I don't care for cabin crawls, slot pulls, gift exchanges, etc. so I guess I'm a board certified party pooper.

That's what I liked about the concept of a Cunard M&G - it was just that. Just show up at 2PM in the Commodore Club, first sea day, if one was so inclined. No sign ups, no expectations. Come if you want. Nothing is expected except the pleasure of one's company.

On the voyage where the "superorganizer" took over anybody who showed up at 2PM would have been 3 hours too late. And anybody who followed the roll call and did show up at 11 would have unexpectedly found that a gift exchange was expected among those who did sign up. No mention of this was made on the roll call pages until after the voyage was over. So I'll presume information was sent via email or a social media site known only to those who specifically signed up.

I don't care for cabin crawls, slot pulls, gift exchanges, etc. so I guess I'm a board certified party pooper.

I won't join any roll calls online, but I have turned up to one or two M&Gs at the appointed hour and in the correct place.

Having not been party to the prior 'chat', I've not felt confident enough to say 'hi'.

The scenario you describe would suit me down to the ground. Mention the time and place and just show up. I'd go for that one, on any of our next cruises booked.

Maybe this could be incorporated into existing roll calls?

Gift Exchanges? I myself find that a bit overboard (excuse the pun!:rolleyes:). Did the cabin crawl on the final westbound crossing on the QE2 - actually voluntold to organize it. But otherwise - with these newer ships where most cabins look alike the interest is not there.

Yeah sounds like your "superorganizer" was too much.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. We had a very active roll call. Yes, there was some planning of excursions but we also discussed getting visas, pre-cruise planning, theme nights, suggestions from previous world cruisers, etc. More than anything, I appreciated getting to know some of my fellow cruisers in advance.

There was also no pressure for the meet and greets. Some people on the roll call came to all of them, some to one or two and some to none. No problem.

I totally agree with you Scrapnana. You did a great job of doing a spreadsheet for us on this years World Cruise. I was in contact, by email, with a few on the list because of your spreadsheet. As you know I also arranged a dinner in Southampton the night before the departure of the World Cruise for some on the Roll Call. I myself was not joining the ship until Fort Lauderdale. So, personally I think the Roll Call is brilliant. Being a single cruiser it is nice to see a few friendly faces when you board.

Gift Exchanges? I myself find that a bit overboard (excuse the pun!:rolleyes:). Did the cabin crawl on the final westbound crossing on the QE2 - actually voluntold to organize it. But otherwise - with these newer ships where most cabins look alike the interest is not there.

Yeah sounds like your "superorganizer" was too much.

I remember that cabin crawl, it was great! I think that was the one where we got to see the one and only inside single with bathtub. But, as you say, with so little variation among cabins on the new ships, there isn't much to be learned.

Sometimes, I lurk on a rollcall for a while before signing up. Other times, like for our next crossing, I joined the rollcall as soon as I booked. (It's pretty quiet)

Most of our Cunard roll calls have been low-key in terms of organization, but busy with lots of pleasant chatter and helpful information. I don't think I've ever been on a roll call where people were organizing private tours, and definitely not any gift exchange. The gift exchange sounds like a Tupperware party! On a rollcall for another line, people were talking about how they would find each other at a M&G, and they decided to wear Mardi Gras beads. In November?!? Didn't join that one.

I totally agree. The last thing I want to do before a voyage is shop for a gift for a complete stranger and then find a way to jam it into my suitcase.

Meet and Greet should be just that.