2 cabins booked - can we all go into 1 of them?

DisneyFan108

Hi all.

First-ever post about our first-ever cruise! Here goes.....

We are a family of 4 sailing on Ventura on 7th April, having booked 2 cabins on a Getaway Fare, because it wouldn't let us book a 4-berth cabin - they were available on a Vantage fare but for an extra £1100, so we decided we would put 1 adult and child in each cabin. After all, most of the time we won't be in the cabins anyway so didn't feel it was worth the extra cost, and hopefully we would be near each other!

Having now got our cabin numbers, of course we are at opposite ends of the ship on different decks! But ironically, one of the cabins has a double sofa-bed so presumably would sleep us all comfortably (they are DC superior balcony grade).

Any thoughts as to whether, once on board, we would be able to ask the steward to make up the sofa-bed so we could all go in the same room? Or is this a definite no-no? Not sure we even will, but just wondering, for sheer convenience, if we could.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic Disneyfan 108.

I doubt it very much. Not least is the safety aspect of knowing who is where in case a search had to be held. It would also change one stewards work load considerably.

This is the trouble with Getaway fares - they come with heavy restrictions - like only being bookable by couples - not familes and not singles.

Welcome to the forum Disneyfan108 :)

Clutching at straws for you maybe, but I wonder if you post a request on here for someone to swap cabins with you so that you get nearer to each other whether that would help at all. Then you could both agree to go and see the Purser after you board to make the swap official. I don't know if this is allowed, but no doubt a phone call to P&O might help. I can see the sense in what you've done but I guess its a chance you take when booking a Getaway Fare, which is exactly what we have done but there are only two of us.

I hope you can get the problem sorted out satisfactorily :D

No experience of this but is it worth phoning P&O and asking if there are 2 cabins on the same deck? So long as you remain within the grade they gave you maybe they would let you switch? I know other cruise lines will do that but no idea about P&O.

This is very interesting as it crossed my mind to do something similar. My DH is not too keen to have us separated with one adult and one teenager in each cabin but the savings are huge when you book two cabins.

I don't care where the cabins are as they are near or next door. It is a shame they can't do this under the getaway fare.

Hi all.

First-ever post about our first-ever cruise! Here goes.....

We are a family of 4 sailing on Ventura on 7th April, having booked 2 cabins on a Getaway Fare, because it wouldn't let us book a 4-berth cabin - they were available on a Vantage fare but for an extra £1100, so we decided we would put 1 adult and child in each cabin. After all, most of the time we won't be in the cabins anyway so didn't feel it was worth the extra cost, and hopefully we would be near each other!

Having now got our cabin numbers, of course we are at opposite ends of the ship on different decks! But ironically, one of the cabins has a double sofa-bed so presumably would sleep us all comfortably (they are DC superior balcony grade).

Any thoughts as to whether, once on board, we would be able to ask the steward to make up the sofa-bed so we could all go in the same room? Or is this a definite no-no? Not sure we even will, but just wondering, for sheer convenience, if we could.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

i have posted amessage on the same thread if you get it i am roaming rover

Thanks for your replies everyone :)

We were warned when we did this that there was no guarantee that the cabins would be together and did accept that in return for getting a good (well, maybe not good, but better!) price, but as they are on separate decks, and at completely opposite ends, they really couldn't be much further apart! :(

I think I might give P&O a ring just on the off-chance - I don't hold out much hope but if you don't ask.......

I just didn't know if making up the double sofa-bed was something our cabin steward would be happy to do, or if, perhaps due to safety rules, he/she just couldn't. I guess if all else fails, we can ask on-board.

It just seems crazy that we've got 2 large cabins, when in reality we only need 1 of them - P&O could have sold the other and got more money but that's their loss :)

I suppose it depends on the age of your children, but mine enjoy having their own cabin. They certainly prefer it to sharing a sofa bed which probably isn't very big!! My boys were 13 and 10 when they first had their own cabin, they liked ordering hot chocolate from room service. They have now realised they can order breakfast too, think their room service attendant is going to be busy!!

Remember it is really easy to phone each other using the cabin phones and you could also take walkie talkies if you want.

I think it would be worth ringing P& O and asking if anything can be done to get you closer.

When we cruised Princess a few years ago, we had a cabin with me and DH and our 2 grandchildren in (for cost reasons), with their parents in the next cabin. We just asked the steward to make up the dropdown bed and the rollaway bed in their parents room which left us on our own. No problem at all. I see no reason why, if you have the space in your cabin, you cannot do something similar. I am sure the steward with the room which will be vacant will not complain! You can tell the pursars desk and they will give you extras keys for your cabin if you need them.

Whatever its certainly worth asking. P&O are losing nothing by you all being in one cabin instead of two.

I don't know the location of your cabins, but if there are any inside cabins directly opposite one of the cabins, why not ask if they would be able to swap? I am sure they would bite your hand off so to speak . If your children are old enough you can put them in the inside cabin if not you probably will have the same steward, ask if they can make up the additional bed in your room for the kids and use the inside for extra storage and for the convenience of an additional bathroom. If you reward the steward I am sure they will have no objection.

that is what i suggested we would be willing to swap depends which decks your other cabins are:):):)

Thanks roaming rover but our cabins are not on C deck so it wouldn't help us to swap.

I spoke to P&O and checked that the bookings are linked, but they said the ship is full so there's no cabin alternatives at their end.

However they did say we could ask on-board if we could all go into the 4-berth, as they would be able to advise us if the maximum number of people had already been reached on that deck.

I think we will look at the cabins when we arrive and take a view. To make things more complicated, my daughter has broken her toe so she will need to go in the one nearest everything, whichever that is and may actually benefit from more room in the cabin :) (not actually sure if I need to inform P&O of her injury as she can get about but is much slower!)

Still we did save a lot on the fare so I can't really complain I guess :)

Archived