Pride & Joy

TOMOGP

Got Email today from P & O about out cruise starting 21st and new systems at Southampton for embarkation (nothing about disembarkation)

Anybody know anything about this

Also heard ABP are building a 5th terminal at Southampton for all the new Big ships costing £30 million:eek:

P&O are having a big push on Pride & Joy at the moment - it's a main feature in the latest 'Our World' magazine, there's an additional letter in the magazine packing that just seems to repeat the text of the article, there's a page or two on the P&O website, etc.

It's all a bit short on specifics, however. For example, exactly how are they going to speed up baggage handling and passenger handling at embarkation time? It's not clear.

P&O are having a big push on Pride & Joy at the moment - it's a main feature in the latest 'Our World' magazine, there's an additional letter in the magazine packing that just seems to repeat the text of the article, there's a page or two on the P&O website, etc.

It's all a bit short on specifics, however. For example, exactly how are they going to speed up baggage handling and passenger handling at embarkation time? It's not clear.

At Ocean terminal it would be easy to streamline systems, all they need do is:-

1) Pay CPS to employ more valet drivers so that waiting times in car park are reduced or eliminated.

2) Change security to before check in, this would prevent the huge queues that develop as each boarding ticket number is called.

3) Allow automatic boarding for everyone immediately after check in.

4) Stop employing frustrated old WI staff at check in, and get more preofessional staff as Celebrity/RCI do. :rolleyes:

1) Pay CPS to employ more valet drivers so that waiting times in car park are reduced or eliminated.

2) Change security to before check in, this would prevent the huge queues that develop as each boarding ticket number is called.

4) Stop employing frustrated old WI staff at check in, and get more preofessional staff as Celebrity/RCI do. :rolleyes:

Not going to happen

changing security would mean rebuiliding the inside of the terminal and then finding that it would be less convenient for passengers. Example you arrive at the terminal with friends/family to see you off. They can stay with you until you go through security, not so with your idea.

WI staff :confused::confused: apart from being sexist that is plain daft. If you want more 'proffessional' staff you will have to pay them more, guess who would pay for that.:rolleyes:

I received the email as well. I wonder if there will be any changes at Ocean terminal next week? Somehow i doubt it.

They may have installed more security scanners but that would mean more border agency staff and isn't there a shortage of those.

I have always found the staff at checkin very professional. Never had a problem yet? Also, never had more than 5 minutes wait for CPS either, but then I don't get there at 11 am, usually arrive about 12.45 or 1300 ish.

The security after checkin needs revamping. agree with that.

Not going to happen

changing security would mean rebuiliding the inside of the terminal and then finding that it would be less convenient for passengers. Example you arrive at the terminal with friends/family to see you off. They can stay with you until you go through security, not so with your idea.

WI staff :confused::confused: apart from being sexist that is plain daft. If you want more 'proffessional' staff you will have to pay them more, guess who would pay for that.:rolleyes:

Err David,

It is happening right now they are spending £6m on the Mayflower terminal on a massive rebuild. There are other threads all about it. It looks like it will be more like Ocean and have the seating before check in and then security and then boarding.

Opens in April.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not going to happen

Dave, with the limited and very short term temporary parking at Ocean, I doubt there are many friends and family seeing passengers off; and I dont think my other comment is at all sexist since I am quite happy with the female staff Celebrity use, who are much more professional and if they are paid more then it certainly is not reflected in higher cruise prices than I pay to P&O.

If Dai's comment about the Mayflower refurb is correct, then I think that is a very retrograde step in changing security to the same as Ocean. Having experienced both systems we find that the City terminal check in procedure is far superior to P&O's at Ocean.

If Dai's comment about the Mayflower refurb is correct, then I think that is a very retrograde step in changing security to the same as Ocean. Having experienced both systems we find that the City terminal check in procedure is far superior to P&O's at Ocean.

Well, it's all a matter of opinion. Having once queued for over an hour at one of the other terminals, I much prefer the Ocean terminal approach - you can sit down and make yourself comfortable until your boarding card is called, at which point you join the back of a very short queue and proceed pretty quickly to check in and then onto security. That's my preference, and I'm pleased that at least one of the other terminals is bing brought into line with that.

Dave, with the limited and very short term temporary parking at Ocean, I doubt there are many friends and family seeing passengers off; and I dont think my other comment is at all sexist since I am quite happy with the female staff Celebrity use, who are much more professional and if they are paid more then it certainly is not reflected in higher cruise prices than I pay to P&O.

The staff working in the terminal are not employed by P&O, the staff at the city terminal are not employed by any cruise line either.

The staff working in the terminal are not employed by P&O, the staff at the city terminal are not employed by any cruise line either.

I think that is incorrect Dai, I am fairly certain that the check in staff used by Celebrity are in fact their employees. On one occasion we were checked in by one of the on board customer service staff.

Not so sure about Ocean term., however I think the supervisors at check in are P&O employees.

I've only had to wait once (about 20 mins) to park, otherwise always driven straight up and unloaded luggage right away.

I've only cruised once with RCI, but I found their check-in staff at Venice to be unhelpful, rude, abrupt and dismissive. FWIW RCI's onboard security staff were fairly unpleasant at times too, with no good reason. P&O's check-in staff, on the other hand, have been unfailingly polite, helpful, chatty and always get our holiday off to a good start.

What would speed things up would be getting rid of the photographers as you embark.

I think that is incorrect Dai, I am fairly certain that the check in staff used by Celebrity are in fact their employees. On one occasion we were checked in by one of the on board customer service staff.

Not so sure about Ocean term., however I think the supervisors at check in are P&O employees.

We shared a table on a cruise a couple of years ago with some people living in the Southampton area, and one of the ladies worked on the terminal checkins at Southampton. She was actually employed by G4S - they have the contract. They wear the same uniform every time, but have a range of little scarves and other 'identity' items that go with the different lines; i.e. a P&O scarf, a Cunard scarf, and so on. I can't swear that this applies to all of the terminals, but I do remember her saying that she worked at various terminals depending on requirements, so G4S were providing the checkin service for more than one terminal.

There must be someone from the cruise line in attendance, but I would think that the liaison is done at a senior level.

(Next year - after I've retired - I'm hoping to find out more about this sort of operation and write it up in my blog.)

One of our friends who works in Southampton checks cruises in for Princess, Celebrity and RCI. she works for a separate firm. I think they changed lately but I am not sure of the name. I sure she said that P&O and Cunard are checked in by a different company.

It is clear why there are few young members of staff as the job is only an as and when basis when the ships are in. So that is a maximum of 4 hours 2/3 days a week in the peak period.

Dai

We got the e-mail too and to be honest it was nice to feel that P&O may have been listening to what passengers were saying. Some of the improvements don't seem earth shattering, but I hope that this means that the people at the top are happy to listen to what we are all saying.

Now please can I have the brass band, champagne fountain and procession of the waiters back to make it feel special please ;):D

PS PLEASE don't reply about my last comment - it was tongue in cheek !!!