I can't believe NCL is buying REGENT...

Rotterdam

I read on the Oceania board that NCL parent company is buying both Oceania & Regent?????

Tell me its not so - NCL ruined NCL & now this.....its as bad as when Carnivore Corp bought Seabourn , Cunard & HAL!!!!

I posted this on Oceania:

"anyone that had cruised on Regent & Oceania will certainly see changes much like people that sailed on HAL, Seabourn, Cunard etc before Carnivore Corp took over.

We had sailed on HAL & Cunard for years(since the 1970's) gave up on HAL completely a couple of years ago(4* Mariners) & only sail QM2 for transport purposes. too bad.

Anything that was truly special will be watered down - the business may of changed in the last few years but there is no reason for the blandness set across the board while these companies are making record profits.

And these thousands & thousands of people being sold this "luxury cruise concept" have no idea what true luxury is about! "

Tell me its not so.....

While it is true, keep in mind that Apollo remains the majority shareholder. They have indicated that there will not be changes in the foreseeable future. IMO, this isn't worth stressing about. Either things will remain the same - as they have indicated -- or they will not. If they remain the same, customers will continue to sail with them. If things change, they will lose their hundreds of thousands of customers.

My main concern is the CEO of NCL. He has posted "changes" before the deal is done. Also, from my observations on the television show, Undercover Boss, he is completely different than our current CEO and President. We will not hesitate to cancel cruises on Regent if anything changes that lowers the status of the cruise line!!!!!!

Where has NCL posted "changes?" I sure hope not. Yes, there are other options, and that is why we have only the Regent trip planned until we see what is happening. We usually have two or three booked, but when we saw the NCL purchase, we decided to wait and see what happens.

Where has NCL posted "changes?" I sure hope not. Yes, there are other options, and that is why we have only the Regent trip planned until we see what is happening. We usually have two or three booked, but when we saw the NCL purchase, we decided to wait and see what happens.

They were Press Releases. One talked about moving upper management from PCL offices to NCL offices. Another talked about merging some of their functions.

While it is true, keep in mind that Apollo remains the majority shareholder. They have indicated that there will not be changes in the foreseeable future. IMO, this isn't worth stressing about. Either things will remain the same - as they have indicated -- or they will not. If they remain the same, customers will continue to sail with them. If things change, they will lose their hundreds of thousands of customers.

My main concern is the CEO of NCL. He has posted "changes" before the deal is done. Also, from my observations on the television show, Undercover Boss, he is completely different than our current CEO and President. We will not hesitate to cancel cruises on Regent if anything changes that lowers the status of the cruise line!!!!!!

Although this subject is a bit of "old news" now, I just wanted to clarify one point made by TC re Apollo. Apollo no longer owns PCH directly (NCL owns PCH), but only through their ownership share of NCL. Also, I wasn't aware that Apollo owned majority control of NCL (thought it was around 20%). Perhaps someone can clarify. Thanks

Although this subject is a bit of "old news" now, I just wanted to clarify one point made by TC re Apollo. Apollo no longer owns PCH directly (NCL owns PCH), but only through their ownership share of NCL. Also, I wasn't aware that Apollo owned majority control of NCL (thought it was around 20%). Perhaps someone can clarify. Thanks

Although not technically the majority stockholder (they are the second largest stockholder - the major stockholder is a Malaysian company), they do control the Board of Directors. This paragraph may clear things up for you:

"Before the deal, Apollo owned a 57% stake in Prestige and a 20% share of Norwegian, although it controls Norwegian through the power granted it by other owners to appoint a majority of its 11-member board."

Seems to me we have been through all this before - déjà vu in effect!

When Radisson was sold to Regent Hotels people moaned and groaned about doom and gloom. Then when Regent was bought by PCH the moans increased to wails. To be owned by the people who owned Oceania was too much. It seemed like Regent would be contaminated or worse. And now Oceania and Regent have been sold to Norwegian.

you know - the "product" has been getting better and better all through these years. Do we really have any reason to expect this trend not to continue? Seems to me it is in Norwegian's interest to keep Regent AND Oceania doing what they do really well and not "down grade" either operation.

Until I see/hear evidence that things are changing for the worse on either line I am not going to waste any time worrying about it!

Although I cannot post much at the moment as I am typing on my tablet (with great frustration) while aboard Mariner, I would like to point out that Radisson was not "sold to Regent Hotels". The name change of the cruise line from Radisson to Regent did not involve or reflect any change in corporate structure or ownership. This has been discussed at considerable length on this board; and I am a bit surprised that anyone remains confused with respect to that issue.

In any event, I agree with the posters who have suggested that it would be prudent to wait to see how NCL manages Regent after the deal closes (which has not yet occurred, has it?).

The original post in this thread seems somewhat premature in its predictions of doom & gloom, while at the same time being more than somewhat late in entering the discussion of this transaction which has been public information for months and the subject of several threads on this board.

freddie, I agree, for the most part. I have been with the line since 2000, Navigator's maiden year, and enjoyed cruises with you.

While I don't "think" I am confused, I do remember that there was a sale of the old Radisson/Regent, from the Carlson family some years ago, to PCH, or Apollo, whatever. And now to NCL. While I am a bit apprehensive, as long as the same president is at the helm, I am not worried.

Edited by jhp

freddie, I agree, for the most part. I have been with the line since 2000, Navigator's maiden year, and enjoyed cruises with you.

While I don't "think" I am confused, I do remember that there was a sale of the old Radisson/Regent, from the Carlson family some years ago, to PCH, or Apollo, whatever. And now to NCL. While I am a bit apprehensive, as long as the same president is at the helm, I am not worried.

Which "president" are you referring to. Has it been decided that Mr. Kamlani will be Regent's president? I thought (could be wrong) that Kevin Sheehan wants separate presidents of each cruise line.

Seems to me we have been through all this before - déjà vu in effect!

When Radisson was sold to Regent Hotels people moaned and groaned about doom and gloom. Then when Regent was bought by PCH the moans increased to wails. To be owned by the people who owned Oceania was too much. It seemed like Regent would be contaminated or worse. And now Oceania and Regent have been sold to Norwegian.

you know - the "product" has been getting better and better all through these years. Do we really have any reason to expect this trend not to continue? Seems to me it is in Norwegian's interest to keep Regent AND Oceania doing what they do really well and not "down grade" either operation.

Until I see/hear evidence that things are changing for the worse on either line I am not going to waste any time worrying about it!

Hambagahle: You always so much sense. Keep it up. I haven't been trolling the Regent board for some time...we have been priced out of considering Regent in the future. But I do check in on the board every once in a while.

You tell me, TC. Is Frank Delrio out of the picture now?

I really just don't know. Mr. Kamlani or Frank del Rio?. I will be on Regent in a couple of weeks for a month, and honestly, do not expect any changes in service.

You tell me, TC. Is Frank Delrio out of the picture now?

I really just don't know. Mr. Kamlani or Frank del Rio?. I will be on Regent in a couple of weeks for a month, and honestly, do not expect any changes in service.

It is my understanding that FDR will remain CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings at least through 2015. Kevin Sheehan was CEO of NCL as well as president but has recently hired a president for NCL. I guess the question is whether Mr. Kamlani will remain president over both Oceania and Regent. While I certainly hope this is the case, only time will tell. I read somewhere that the expected "close" date is mid-November. Perhaps we will learn something at that point.

While I am not concerned about changes on Regent in the next year or so, it concerns me that Mr. Sheehan made announcements about merging of some offices, etc. way in advance of the deal closing. At this point I would think that announcements would continue to come from FDR.

Enjoy your cruise. We were originally booked on that sailing but were really interested only in the second half of the itinerary so we cancelled and booked for next year. Looking forward to reading about it.

fyi (today's press release on the NCL & PCH Deal outlines Exteam of merged Co.)

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/norwegian-prestige-deal-expected-to-close-in-mid-november.html

Sheehan also outlined the executive team for the merged company. He will remain president and CEO of the parent company, Norwegian Cruise Holdings while Drew Madsen, the new president and COO of Norwegian Cruise Line, will run that company on a daily basis. Oceania Founder Frank Del Rio will continue on as CEO of Oceania and Regent Seven Seas, while Kunal Kamlani will continue running the day-to-day business of both those lines as president and COO. Jason Montague, the current CFO of Prestige, will oversee the integration on a full-time basis.

Edited by WesW

Funny - I seem to remember that the Carlson family sold Radisson cruises to Regent Hotels. If they didn't, how come the name of the line suddenly changed?

Not sure why the name changed but agree that they were not sold to Regent Hotels. It was simply a name change - not an ownership change. At the time I remember not caring for the name. In hindsight, it is much better than Radisson (perhaps I am mentally comparing them to the Radisson Hotels vs. Regent Hotels).

Not sure why the name changed but agree that they were not sold to Regent Hotels. It was simply a name change - not an ownership change. At the time I remember not caring for the name. In hindsight, it is much better than Radisson (perhaps I am mentally comparing them to the Radisson Hotels vs. Regent Hotels).

Apollo Management, an investment group, purchased Regent Seven Seas Cruises from Carlson Cos. for $1 billion in February 2008. Apollo Investments also owns Oceania Cruises and 50% of Norwegian Cruise Line. Carlson retains ownership of the master Regent brand, along with the operations of Regent Hotels & Resorts around the world.

That is definitely good news. However, I wish that Mr. Sheehan would allow Regent/Oceania announcements to come from the CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings. I have serious concerns about the CEO of NCL.

Really don't understand your "concerns". The announcement by Mr. Sheehan was completely appropriate and in accordance with normal senior executive announcements where the person that the announcement is about announces the appointments.

Prestige Holdings will cease to exist after the purchase goes thru and Regent & Oceania will be 2 more Cruise Lines under the Norwegion Cruise Holding company just like NCL, Mr. Sheehan recently announced the President and CEO of NCL and similarly announced that FDR will be CEO of Regent and Oceania while Mr. Kamlani will be COO of Regent and Oceania; please note, no mention of Prestige.

The new President of NCL along with FDR and Mr. Kamlani will all report to Mr. Sheehan as CEO of Norwegian Cruise Holdings much like Mr. Kamlani reported to FDR, CEO of PCH.

Since there will no longer be any CEO or PCH, no reason to be concerned about Mr. Sheehan based on his proper announcement.