Cozumel East Side Advice

LREcruise02

So I thought I had Cozumel down. Go to Chankanaab...we always go to Chankanaab it's awesome. Well now I've been reading about the East side and thinking of doing a driver to Punta Sur, El Mirador, Coconuts etc. and seeing some new places. We have 2 girls 6 & 4 very good travelers, we cruise annually. Anyway I am hoping to hear from anyone who has done the East side with kids and if they enjoyed it too? I'm nervous they won't have as much fun and I'll regret just not going to Chankanaab again. Any thoughts/tips/stories that would help I appreciate! Sorry for the long post! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

st side is beautiful with some fun bars/restaraunts, but the water is much rougher and the beaches can be rocky -- not sure I'd take younger ones there and expect them to have much fun unless they are happy just playing in the sand and wading in the shallows.

I think Punta Morena may be your best bet. It's big, has a beach, rest rooms for the civilized Americans, even a small pool the kids can play in.

I'd stay away from Coconuts.

Punta Morena looks very nice! Do you know if we can just do a taxi there? Or if we do a driver for the day if we can do a couple sightseeing type stops first and then head there for the rest of the day? I appreciate the help! We've been to Cozumel so many times but always done the same thing so I feel like a rookie here! :)

There are ship excursions to Punta Sur now. Seem very expensive, IMO.

But I've been there in the past. There's a eco-park type area with a look out tower where you can see wild life, including crocodiles. There's a lighthouse where you can climb tot eh top and get as expansive of a view as you can from Coconuts, the highest point on Cozumel. There's a small beach and you can wade/swim out about 50-100 yards or so for some snorkeling on the nearer portions of the reefs off the coast, assuming the currents aren't running too strong and water isn't too rough. Unless the new ventures have put up something new, there's nothing in the way of water toys or attractions for youngsters like at Chank.

IMO, I like the East Side, but it's more of an adult thing to do. Like a previous poster has stated Punta Morena does have a small pool, but of the other beaches/bars along the East side, at one time Chen Rio was the only place on the Eastside where swimming was allowed.

There are ship excursions to Punta Sur now. Seem very expensive, IMO.

But I've been there in the past. There's a eco-park type area with a look out tower where you can see wild life, including crocodiles. There's a lighthouse where you can climb tot eh top and get as expansive of a view as you can from Coconuts, the highest point on Cozumel. There's a small beach and you can wade/swim out about 50-100 yards or so for some snorkeling on the nearer portions of the reefs off the coast, assuming the currents aren't running too strong and water isn't too rough. Unless the new ventures have put up something new, there's nothing in the way of water toys or attractions for youngsters like at Chank.

IMO, I like the East Side, but it's more of an adult thing to do. Like a previous poster has stated Punta Morena does have a small pool, but of the other beaches/bars along the East side, at one time Chen Rio was the only place on the Eastside where swimming was allowed.

Thanks Crewsweeper! I'm not big into ship excursions :) we may end up just doing Chank again and wait til the girls are older to go exploring. I'm sure it won't be our last time to Coz! We don't cruise until March so guess I have several months to go crazy over the decision! Hah!

FYI Coconuts has some cool animals for kids to see. (birds, cats etc., if I remember right). It's a neat place to explore.

I think your kids would like some time at Punta Morena, then to Coconuts and back stopping at Punta Sur for the crocs and lighthouse if you like. Sounds like a fun day if you ask me!

FYI Coconuts has some cool animals for kids to see. (birds, cats etc., if I remember right). It's a neat place to explore.

I think your kids would like some time at Punta Morena, then to Coconuts and back stopping at Punta Sur for the crocs and lighthouse if you like. Sounds like a fun day if you ask me!

Thanks good ideas! My girls are pretty happy if they have some sand to play in and some fun things to see :)

Also, off topic, but I saw you post in a Jamaica forum about doing a catamaran. Have you done this in Montego Bay by chance? I'm looking into a catamaran cruise and snorkel through Island Marketing that leaves from Doctors Cave and am hoping to find someone who has done this. Just thought I would check!! :)

Coconuts also has some rafter/posts hanging that "fratboys" think are pretty cool to see, but you might want to bring blindfolds for youngsters :D:eek::p

Coconuts also has some rafter/posts hanging that "fratboys" think are pretty cool to see, but you might want to bring blindfolds for youngsters :D:eek::p

Really doubt a 4 and a 6 yr old are going to "get it" or "care". They'll be more interested in the animals and the cool surroundings, I'd think.

Also, off topic, but I saw you post in a Jamaica forum about doing a catamaran. Have you done this in Montego Bay by chance? I'm looking into a catamaran cruise and snorkel through Island Marketing that leaves from Doctors Cave and am hoping to find someone who has done this. Just thought I would check!! :)

Well, in May I catamaraned from Sandals PAST Doctors Cave to Margaritaville. That was fun. I've also done two different cats out of Ocho Rios, but none right from Doctor's Cave beach.

The Littles might also get a kick out of a stop at the "PEE PEE Station" along the way! I know my six year old nephews would LOVE that. :) there are also a number of little huts/shops that you can get some "junk" for a bargain of a price. Your kids will love some of the colorful toys , shells and "junk" they sell a those little huts.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

The Littles might also get a kick out of a stop at the "PEE PEE Station" along the way! I know my six year old nephews would LOVE that. :) there are also a number of little huts/shops that you can get some "junk" for a bargain of a price. Your kids will love some of the colorful toys , shells and "junk" they sell a those little huts.

Thanks yes that does sound right up their alley! They love shopping for little trinkets! Do you recall what company you were on for the Montego Bay cat?

Thanks yes that does sound right up their alley! They love shopping for little trinkets! Do you recall what company you were on for the Montego Bay cat?

We sailed on the SANDALS owned Cat. It goes from Sandals MoBay, snorkeling, then onto Margaritaville. It was a blast. Check with Islandroutes dot com. That's the company that Sandals uses, and the Cat "Red Dread" is moored right at the Sandals. It was a great time, but I'm not sure if Kids are allowed, as SANDALS is an Adults only resort, but they do have some pretty cool shore excursions and they guarantee you are back on board in time! That's GREAT guarantee!!

Just checked and looks like they do offer it as a shore excursion and it does not say Adults only! One of the fun things about M.Ville in MoBay is that they have water toys for the kids (and adults) to use. Your kids are pretty little, but it would be fun for them to swim out there and play with Mom or Dad. There was a family there doing just that as we docked for a drink.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

We sailed on the SANDALS owned Cat. It goes from Sandals MoBay, snorkeling, then onto Margaritaville. It was a blast. Check with Islandroutes dot com. That's the company that Sandals uses, and the Cat "Red Dread" is moored right at the Sandals. It was a great time, but I'm not sure if Kids are allowed, as SANDALS is an Adults only resort, but they do have some pretty cool shore excursions and they guarantee you are back on board in time! That's GREAT guarantee!!

Just checked and looks like they do offer it as a shore excursion and it does not say Adults only! One of the fun things about M.Ville in MoBay is that they have water toys for the kids (and adults) to use. Your kids are pretty little, but it would be fun for them to swim out there and play with Mom or Dad. There was a family there doing just that as we docked for a drink.

Awesome thank you for the info!

• 4 weeks later...
Punta Morena looks very nice! Do you know if we can just do a taxi there? Or if we do a driver for the day if we can do a couple sightseeing type stops first and then head there for the rest of the day? I appreciate the help! We've been to Cozumel so many times but always done the same thing so I feel like a rookie here! :)

Taxis will be expensive to Punta Morena - I want to say somewhere along the lines of $40 each way, and taxis back to the pier may be somewhat harder to come by unless you make arrangements in advance. Although the views are nice and it is far less crowded than the more tourist oriented beaches on the west side of the island, I'd suggest spending your money on a visit to Mr. Sanchos or Nachi Cocum rather than a cab ride to Punta Morena if you are looking for a relaxing beach day.

They are all about the same with each one having their own specialties.

Pay attention to the exchange rates. Menus are priced in pesos. Playa Bonita and Rastas gave us about 13 to 1, while Coconuts and Punta Morena only gave us 10 to 1.

Expect to spend about $2 to $3 for a Mexican brand beer and $7 to $10 for a specialty cocktail. Meals generally range from $10 to about $17. Coconuts and Playa Bonita give you free chips and salsa if you are buying drinks.