Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default railings on ship

we are taking our fist cruise on the Holiday with a six year old girl. Do any other parents have a concern of their children climbing on the railings?
I am more concerned if she is at camp carnival and they take the kids on a tour or something and she is not with us.

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:07 PM
50,000+ Club

The railings are about 4 feet high. You dont accidently fall over them unless you find a way to climb up on the railings. They have plexiglass or metal up to where the railing is. There are very few places where there are railings that they would be taking your little girl, the area around the pool, or above it?

Someone would see if she climbed up on a chair to get up on the railing. Unless she is a little monkey, like some kids Iv known, you dont have anything to worry about.

Most of those falling over are drunk, some naked, some from their balconys trying to join the balcony club etc. It would be very hard to accidently fall over for anyone.

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
10,000+ Club

I have never heard of a problem with supervision at the ship's camp. They are very good with them.
04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America|11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

At six years old I am sure your daughter is old enough to understand the importance of being careful.

This would be a good time to have a little talk with her about the railings and any art work she may see on the ship.

Yea but seriously have a little talk with her.

I am sure the Camp Carnival folks have plenty of experience dealing with the little ones and keeping them safe.
[IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/%3Cembed%20src=%22http://www.****************/generators/textpix2/show.swf?txt=Whale%20Tail%2Da%2Dpalooza%21%0DFasci nation%2007%2F10%2F2010&card=http://www.****************/generators/textpix2//cards/popular/popular2.jpg&clickURL=http://www.****************/generators/textpix2&type=0&clickLABEL=Myspace%20Picture%20Generator&tc=16776960&sc=16711680&font=http://www.****************/generators/textpix2/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&tr=0&ts=48&tx=0&ty=0&glitter=1&rounded=0&bevel=0&sepia=0&shadow=1&theme=&theme_al=100%22%20quality=%22high%22%20bgcolor=%22 #ffffff%22%20width=%22300%22%20height=%22300%22%20 name=%22show%22%20align=%22middle%22%20allowScript Access=%22always%22%20wmode=%22transparent%22%20ty pe=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20pluginspage=%22http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer%22/%3E%3Cbr%3E%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.****************/generators/textpix2%22%3EMyspace%20Picture%20Generator%3Ca/%3E[/IMG]

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly333 View Post
The railings are about 4 feet high. You dont accidently fall over them unless you find a way to climb up on the railings. They have plexiglass or metal up to where the railing is. There are very few places where there are railings that they would be taking your little girl, the area around the pool, or above it?

Someone would see if she climbed up on a chair to get up on the railing. Unless she is a little monkey, like some kids Iv known, you dont have anything to worry about.

Most of those falling over are drunk, some naked, some from their balconys trying to join the balcony club etc. It would be very hard to accidently fall over for anyone.
And apart from those folks, there are (sadly) many for whom it wasn't an accident. To the OP, I've NEVER seen a report of a child accidentally falling off a cruise ship (any cruise ship). When a "man overboard" happens the media likes to report that someone "fell" -- but typically they either took a chance and reaped the consequences (whether via foolishness or drunkenness), or they intentionally jumped, not fell.

Upcoming Cruises:

Western Caribbean -- Carnival Sunshine, November 2014

Some Past Cruise Adventures:

Pride of Hawaii, NCL, 2007 (Hawaii) -- MS Volendam, HAL, 2008 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Dawn, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Carnival Triumph, 2009 (Canada) -- Emerald Princess, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2011 (Western Caribbean) -- Celebrity Summit, 2011 (Bermuda Cruise Critic Member Cruise) -- Ruby Princess, 2012 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Sapphire Princess, 2012 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Sky, 2013 (Bahamas) -- Carnival Dream, 2013 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2014 (Western Caribbean)

Last edited by Host Michell; May 25th, 2009 at 08:41 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

There is really only 3 ways to go overboard (usually) one is doing something less than intelligent, two you want to go over, or three someone else wants you to go over. I also have never heard of someone under the watch of camp carnival or any other cruise lines childrens program going over.

Spirit 6/10 Alasksa
Conquest 6/09 Bahamas, Key West
Conquest 7/07 Cozumel, Jamaica, G. Cayman
Jubilee 6/03 Cozumel, Key West
Ecstacy 5/95 Bahamas
Nordic Empress 4/94 Private Island, Bahamas
Viking Serenade 3/93 Catalina, Mexico Riviera

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin' Ron VA View Post
At six years old I am sure your daughter is old enough to understand the importance of being careful.

This would be a good time to have a little talk with her about the railings and any art work she may see on the ship.

I am sure the Camp Carnival folks have plenty of experience dealing with the little ones and keeping them safe.
Cruisin Ron, you are too funny! Art work indeed!
Pat

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebric View Post
we are taking our fist cruise on the Holiday with a six year old girl. Do any other parents have a concern of their children climbing on the railings?
I am more concerned if she is at camp carnival and they take the kids on a tour or something and she is not with us.
our oldest granddaughter had just turned 6yrs old one week before we took her on a cruise (she is now 13) i made a rule that she was not to get within 12 inches of the railing unless we held her hand. no worry of her going over as the railing was much taller than her. it was to just stress "no funny stuff" she would not even get within the 12 inches if i took a photo of her. pretty much the places they take the kids are closed in (no outside/railings) and there is lots of workers for each group. from my observation (8 cruise's) i would worry more about parents not watching kids than the workers, so you are good to go if you watch her.
we have also cruised with other grandkids and on one cruise took all three of them. the youngest was not even 2 yrs old the first cruise. they are not scared to death, but can see the danger of clowning around.

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
5,000+ Club

Default ...

whether or not this is one of those threads...whenever someone falls over board there are always threads out there about how high the railing is...but like others have mentioned you cant really accidentally fall over the railings. They are high enough that you would have to be doing something silly or unsafe for it to happen
12/06 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
05/07 Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Maiden Voyage
10/07 Vision Of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
04/08 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
09/08 Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - now C&A Platinum
01/09 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 1
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 2
12/09 Celebrity Equinox - Southern Caribbean
04/10 Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
10/10 Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
03/11 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
05/11 Carnival Paradise - Baja Mexico

So far 101 wonderful days spent at sea!!

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

thank you all. I think I can breath easier now

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have taken our grandkids on cruises starting when they were 5, the oldest is now 15 and has been on 7 with #8 in December. Everytime we go I point out the dangers of going over the railing. I do not fear accidentally falling off but horseplay. I tell them that once you go there is no coming back, you will either go under and not come up or will be sucked under the ship and minced into fish food. The fish food part usually puts the fear into them. In fact they went home and told my daughter what can happen when they were telling her about their vacation. But I also will never travel in a balcony room with them, only OV.
Disney Magic 2003
Disney Magic 2004
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 2005
Disney Wonder 2005
Carnival Glory 2005
Disney Magic 2006
Star Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2007
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Dream 2009
Sapphire Princess 2010
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival Freedom 2012
Carnival Liberty 2013
Royal Princess 2014

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

I spent several months prior to our cruise with grandkids (4-14) impressing the Rules on them. Number one rule was Don't climb on the railings. No problems once onboard, even with the monkey in the group. That 4 year old is a serious terror, but never once attempted to climb the rails. She did pull a chair over to the railing once and climb on it, but still could not get over the railing.
Paradise - Feb 08
Fantasy - Jul 08 - family reunion trip
Valor 08 - Oct 08
Splendor - Aug 09
Legend - April 12
Legend - April 14

Ski when the powder is deep,
Cruise when it melts,
and work like a dog to afford it all.

Dave

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just got off the Paradise with my 5 and 2 year olds. On deck 12 I was very worried about the railings at first as they were just bars spaced about 1.5 feet apart (no glass barrier), however they did come up about 5ft or so. Both of my kids were small enough that they could squeeze in between the bars if they decided to be crazy monkeys. We had a serious little chat that they were both to stay far away from the railings and I never had a problem with either one of them getting close and never took my eyes off of them when we were on open decks. Deck 12 was the most worrisome of the decks as other decks "dropped" onto lower decks and not the ocean.

I am not sure how the railings are constructed on other Carnival ships but if you ever sail on the Paradise I would just tell your 6 year old to stay away from them unless standing next to you and she/he will be fine

My 5 year old went to Camp Carnival and loved it but I would pick her up before they did dinner with friends on the Lido deck just as a peice of mind. I was fine with her going in a safe contained room but got anxious about her moving from one side of the ship to another. I am just a worry wart of a mom though so just ignore me if you are not

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbryce View Post
... you can't really accidentally fall over the railings.
They are high enough that you would have to be doing something silly or unsafe for it to happen
You have to try real hard !

See railings at left.
Sorry I can't find you a better shot, to illustrate..
but hopefully this will allay your fears.

And going up forward, those railings get very high (I'm six feet and can barely look over!!)

Last edited by Aplmac; May 26th, 2009 at 04:25 PM.

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:46 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
I took my grandson, who was almost 4 at the time, on a cruise in May of last year, and all I had to do was show him how high up we were while still docked in Galveston...and how far he would fall if he went over... Seriously, he and I had numerous talks, before AND during the cruise...like others here have said, the rails are too tall to just "fall" over...

Past cruises-
Carnival Ecstasy-10/2006, 8/2007, 5/2008, 2/2010, 2/2011 Splendour of the Seas-2/2007 and 3/2007, Carnival Conquest-7/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 10/2011 Carnival Miracle-10/2008, Carnival Fantasy-2/09, Carnival Magic-3/12, Coral Princess, 5/2012

"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton

Old May 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

That is really funny, Ron!!!

Old May 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

to whom ever sent the pictures thanks a ton. like I said this is our first cruise so I was a little worried. The picture were great. Again, thanks for the pics.

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Not sure if this pic helps or not...

Of course, I watched him like a HAWK...

Past cruises-
Carnival Ecstasy-10/2006, 8/2007, 5/2008, 2/2010, 2/2011 Splendour of the Seas-2/2007 and 3/2007, Carnival Conquest-7/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 10/2011 Carnival Miracle-10/2008, Carnival Fantasy-2/09, Carnival Magic-3/12, Coral Princess, 5/2012

"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriNtexas View Post

Of course, I watched him like a HAWK...

Now that picture there illustrates why I would never want to go on a cruise with kids. I have only been on the Sensation, and I remember looking at the railing and thinking that there would be kids that could crawl between the rails if they wanted to. I use to work in daycare and I wouldn't put it past some kids! It made me nervous just standing there with my husband. I was just surprised that they don't have to have some type of plexiglass on every single railing (and why they wouldn't want to have it??).

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtouch View Post
There is really only 3 ways to go overboard (usually) one is doing something less than intelligent, two you want to go over, or three someone else wants you to go over. I also have never heard of someone under the watch of camp carnival or any other cruise lines childrens program going over.
I'm going to have to remember that! Thanks!