Credit card charge question

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:26 PM.
Caloundra Qld Australia
89 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Hi,I have given Sun Princess our credit card details for our South Pacific cruise, Do they charge a percentage if they bill me from card ?
If so is it possible to pay in cash on last day if you are making no more purchases
Cheers
Lake Macquarie, Australia
475 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
I don't know what princess charge, if anything, but you can always pay cash on the last day.
We have done this often on O/S cruises when we have been able to buy currency at a good price and avoid bank fees and cruise line conversions etc.
Australia
1,211 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
They don't charge a percentage but recently there has been a fee for credit card payments. It's best to settle the account in cash on the last night or give the details of an international debit card if you have one. The cash option always works out cheaper and you know immediately how much you're up for.

If you can estimate the amount you'll be spending onboard - shore ex, drinks, specialty dining, shopping - you can buy OBC in advance through the Princess Personaliser. This will make the final cash payment much smaller. The Princess exchange rate is generally good and once again, you know the final cost up front.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

540 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Princess do charge a percentage for using a credit card (same rate for all card types) for your on board account. Here is an extract from the FAQ page "At the end of your cruise, your onboard spend plus 1.5% service fee for credit cards and relevant foreign exchange expenses will be charged in one transaction, and the holds will then be released."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email us
Australia
1,211 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Is your South Pacific Cruise Brisbane to Brisbane or does it go to Hawaii or elsewhere? If you start and finish in Australia just settle with Aussie dollars the night before and register a debit card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sydney, Australia
13,735 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by Womble99
Princess do charge a percentage for using a credit card (same rate for all card types) for your on board account. Here is an extract from the FAQ page "At the end of your cruise, your onboard spend plus 1.5% service fee for credit cards and relevant foreign exchange expenses will be charged in one transaction, and the holds will then be released."
Agreed, it is 1.5%. I think it's just included in the total charged rather than explicitly broken out which is why some don't realise it's there.
540 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by The_Big_M
Agreed, it is 1.5%. I think it's just included in the total charged rather than explicitly broken out which is why some don't realise it's there.
The credit card fee is listed a a line item on your account printout and is also listed when you check your account with the [email protected] on your phone/tablet. The [email protected] version is all screwed up and last cruise was showing it added multiple times so it would have been hard to miss, though it was only charged the once at the end.

It can be avoided by paying the account on the last day with cash or a debit card.

I found a printout from a previous cruise, unfortunately it was in credit so no surcharge but you can see that they have the statement about credit cards at the bottom of the page.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan_Doc0006.pdf (256.9 KB, 13 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email us
Australia
11,480 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
I was surprised to see a fee on the final statement after giving Princess my Debit card information. This was the first time in 15 cruises that the problem occurred. Statements are delivered around 5 am on disembarking day , which makes it a bit late to contest the fee.
Next cruise I'll make a point of telling the accounts dept that it's a debit card, not a credit card.
Just keep a check on that if you're using a debit card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anna

Completed Cruises:
2016 Emerald Princess: Tasmania
2016 Emerald Princess: New Zealand
2016 Sun Princess: Fiji
2016 Sun Princess: Queensland Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Alaskan Cruisetour
2015 Pacific Princess: Pacific Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Panama Transit

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage

2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing
2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

19 cruises - 275 days at sea

Upcoming Cruises:

Golden Princess - Hawaii and Tahiti - August 2017
Regal Princess - Canada and New England (Historic America 1A) - October 2018
Royal Princess- Canada and Colonial America (Maple Explorer 2B)- October 2018

EMAIL
Sydney, Australia
1,380 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
In the modern world it is difficult to dodge the ubiquitous credit card fee, but it should always be disclosed by the seller. Mostly it is the price to pay for the convenience or the ability to transact on-line. Actually I can't imagine now living without credit cards etc.

It is pretty standard in 'cruise world' for a 1.5% fee on the closing balance to be applied. The option is to pay-out the balance in cash late on the last night, but many others may elect to do the same, leading to lines & also once you have settled, you can't buy anything else, maybe one last drink

We sometimes will pay out the balance early on the last day of the cruise in cash ie not the departure day but the previous day, when it is not busy at GS & thus our final bill will be relatively small. If your final day spend is say even $100, then the 1.5% fee is worth it not to have to line up on the last night of my cruise - after all it's $1.50
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
Voyager OTS Nov '17 - QLD Coastal
Explorer OTS Mar/Apr '18 - Pacific Islands

Radiance OTS Jan/Feb '19 - NZ - Auckland to Sydney
======================
Completed
Sun Princess Mar/Apr '17 - Round Australia
Carnival Legend Dec'16/Jan'17 - New Year Cruise - Pacific Islands
Legend OTS Nov '16 Cruisin'Country#6
Explorer OTS Mar/Apr '16 - Pacific Islands & NZ
Carnival Spirit Oct/Nov '15 - Melbourne Cup Cruise
Voyager OTS Oct-Nov '13, Feb '15
Radiance OTS Jan '13
Rhapsody OTS Mar '11, Oct '11, Nov '12, Aug/Sep/Oct '14 B2B2B
Caloundra Qld Australia
89 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
<<<<<<We sometimes will pay out the balance early on the last day of the cruise in cash ie not the departure day but the previous day, when it is not busy at GS & thus our final bill will be relatively small. If your final day spend is say even $100, then the 1.5% fee is worth it not to have to line up on the last night of my cruise - after all it's $1.50 >>>
Now that is a great idea Mr Walker,thank you,that is what we will do
Cheers
Perth, Western Australia
719 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by Elorac123
Hi,I have given Sun Princess our credit card details for our South Pacific cruise, Do they charge a percentage if they bill me from card ?
If so is it possible to pay in cash on last day if you are making no more purchases
Cheers
We were on Sun Princess last month. Registered our credit card, but like Mr Walker, paid using our EFTPOS card (no fee) the day before disembarking. Therefore only cocktails the last night on the c/c. All in Australian dollars through an Australian bank, so no overseas transaction fees.
Beware if registering a debit card. Ships can hold a very large sum of your money, but not return it until well after the cruise.
You can view your account on your tablet, and also print it out from the machine next to guest services at any time.
540 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
The amount they hold on your card is only the amount you spend via your shipboard account plus normally 100 or so dollars from what we have seen for the next days spend. If you make a large purchase it can be a large hold, we did a platinum studio sitting with the family one cruise which certainly put a dent in the credit card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email us
perth australia
1,538 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Just a suggestion - we have been doing this for many long years. We have a credit card used just for holidays - nothing else. The minimum card we could have at the time was $1,000.00. We top it up weekly with $20.00 minimum - obviously more when we're flush. When we find a cruise - more goes in, and that is the card that is used for onboard accounts, not the actual cruise payment - just onboard spends, that way no other card is "held" or anything like that - no need to stress. Never gone into the "$1,000.00" yet. Works for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dizzy

On the lookout again

Pacific Eden May 2016 - 4 days Fremantle to Busselton return (should have been Esperance - badweather changed that)
Dawn Princess - April 2015 - 4 daysFremantle, Albany, Busselton, Fremantle
Dawn Princess Dec2013- 14 daysMelbourne - NZ return
Costa Classica -April 2011 - 7 days Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Phuket - Penang - Langkawi - Malacca (notnecessarily in that order!!)
Pacific Sun - Jan 2010 - 3 days to nowhere Fremantle
Costa Allegra - May 16th 2009 - 14 daysSingapore - HoChi Minh City - Da Nang - Hong Kong - Kota Kinabula - Borneo - Brunei -Singapore
Superstar Virgo x 2- 2003 & 2007Asia - Singapore - Phuket - Kuala Lumpur - Langkawi -Penang
Funchal - 2004 (Aus)- Three days to nowhere (Indian Ocean - southof Femantle)

Superstar Gemini -2002- Asia -Singapore-Phuket-Kuala Lumpur -Phi PhiIslands -Penang - Malacca