Last minute upgrades

gr997s

We were in a Silver Suite, 1102 in May on The Spirit. We specifically asked for this cabin because we loved it the year before and it is right next to the Observation Lounge.

About a month before sailing our TA called us and said that SS was offering to upgrade us to a suite midship. We didn't want it, we liked our room so we politely refused.

We weren't offered any other upgrades.

We were in a Silver Suite, 1102 in May on The Spirit. We specifically asked for this cabin because we loved it the year before and it is right next to the Observation Lounge.

About a month before sailing our TA called us and said that SS was offering to upgrade us to a suite midship. We didn't want it, we liked our room so we politely refused.

We weren't offered any other upgrades.

I'll bet you were offered the exchange because a potential booking wanted a Silver Suite (yours). Hope SS could convince them to take something else. Duct Tape said slim to none-- I concur. Never happens.

Dusababy, we said the exact same thing when we got the call. We told the TA that we did not want to move and that was that. Didn't become an issue. Since we only had 1 sailing under our belt at that point, we thought for sure that we were going to get bumped by someone with a few more nights than us.

Now you have me wondering...we had booked that particular cabin about 5 months prior to sailing and booked that cruise because that particular suite was available. IF they were going to move us to appease another customer, would be have been able to get a refund? Just curious.

Northerncheapo, if SS offered to upgrade you to a midship suite, the only category higher that Silver Suite located midship is the owner suites on deck 8. That would have been very tempting. Or were they just talking about another Silver Suite further aft?

To get back on topic ...

I noticed that the price of my last SS cruise had gone waaay down just before sailing (it ended up less than half full) so I asked my TA to politely inquire if there was anything going by way of OBC or upgrade (not really expecting it) - I was surprised to be upgraded to a much better location, albeit still a verandah suite.

Never hurts to ask!

We booked our upcoming cruise so far in advance that prices slowly dropped over time and soon what we paid for our Vista was the price of a Veranda. Silversea offered to refund us the difference or move us to a veranda suite. We moved to Veranda suite.

Hi Wellseasoned...the upgrade was to move to midship, still in a silver suite. So, the cabin was the same, but the location was the upgrade. I didn't want to be midship as we like the close proximity to the Lounge, so we stayed where we originally booked.

Jollyjones...how was this thread not on topic? Found that a bit rude.

A friend who is sailing this month got a phone call two weeks ago from their TA, who had gotten a call from Silversea. Silversea contacted them and said, "because you have so many days with us (300+), would you like to upgrade from your Silver Suite to the Owner's Suite??" They said, yes that would be wonderful, and then were told what the surcharge would be. It was discounted from the Owner's Suite fare, but still significantly more than they were paying for a Silver Suite.

On our last voyage, we asked about upgrading (for a fee) once we boarded. We thought it might be a little less since we were already on board and cabins were empty. After all, that would just be additional revenue for Silversea, right? Well, they provided us with a rate quote for the upgraded cabin the following day which was the same rate we had been quoted when we booked our initial cabin.

As my TA tells me, Silversea doesn't want to cheapen their product by discounting at the last minute. The mass market ships do last minute deals because if they do not sail with full ships then their staff doesn't get paid because they work for tips instead of salary like on Silversea. If the mass market ships sail empty, they would have trouble retaining staff. I think Silversea also knows they would have a lot of angry clients--and alienate them--if they gave discounted last minute deals or didn't adjust fares for booked voyages as prices go down. While everyone loves to get a deal, I must say that at least I take some comfort in knowing that most people are really "stealing" the cruise and I am in effect subsidizing their voyage!

So I would say, as mentioned many times on this board, chance of a FREE upgrade are slim to none.

While everyone loves to get a deal, I must say that at least I take some comfort in knowing that most people are really "stealing" the cruise and I am in effect subsidizing their voyage!

I left out the word NOT above...That is, "I take some comfort in knowing that most people are NOT really "stealing" the cruise as opposed to where I would be in effect subsidizing their voyage."

Hope that makes sense! :)

I agree with everything Herman the Cat has said, and would like to add this:

If Silversea sails with empty cabins, they lose the revenue from the cabin and their cut on excursions not taken.

On lines that are not all-inclusive, empty cabins also mean reduced revenue from beverages, specialty dining venues, use of gym, special activities, auctions, excursions, etc. This income is considerable, especially on the really big ships, where cabin fare is a relatively small part of the equation. They would rather give a cabin away than sail with it empty.

Silversea used to allow officers with tighter quarters to occasionally occupy empty cabins as a special perk. Don't know if this is still the case. And they probably offer empty space to shoreside staff as a way to stay current with the product.

But, as Herman the Cat said, upgrades are a very slippery slope. Once you start, you really can't stop. It would alienate loyal passengers and ultimately, degrade the kind of luxury experience that Silversea has defined for itself.

Your best bet is to book early (for best choice of cabins) and keep your eye on the pricing. If it goes down, ask your TA to request a refund. But bear in mind that what looks like a lower price may only mean that free air or onboard credits were removed. Also, the basic, published fare is sometimes raised in order to come up with a bigger percent savings. Often, you'll find that the fares haven't changed at all. And on popular itineraries, fares sometimes go up, so you'll protect yourself by booking early.

Herman the Cat,

Let me get this straight. Your friend's TA called and said SS wanted to upgrade them to an owner's suite, not upsell them? And only after they agreed did SS inform them there would be a charge? If that's true it's deceptive. And certainly not the way to treat a customer with over 300 days.

Herman the Cat,

Let me get this straight. Your friend's TA called and said SS wanted to upgrade them to an owner's suite, not upsell them? And only after they agreed did SS inform them there would be a charge? If that's true it's deceptive. And certainly not the way to treat a customer with over 300 days.

The TA delivered the message...offering my friend the owner's suite. Who really knows what the sequence of events was or exactly how it was said? That is basically how it was described to me...but remember, the TA delivered the message NOT Silversea. So I would not jump to any conclusions so quickly about deception and treating a passenger poorly. That's an unfair and serious accusation to make with so little information.

Jollyjones...how was this thread not on topic? Found that a bit rude.

Northerncheapo, just to let you know, Jollyjones' comment wasn't aimed at you or any of the posts that are currently visible on the thread. There was a discussion that was off topic, and action was taken by Host Dan to clear it up.

I agree with everything Herman the Cat has said, and would like to add this:

If Silversea sails with empty cabins, they lose the revenue from the cabin and their cut on excursions not taken.

On lines that are not all-inclusive, empty cabins also mean reduced revenue from beverages, specialty dining venues, use of gym, special activities, auctions, excursions, etc. This income is considerable, especially on the really big ships, where cabin fare is a relatively small part of the equation. They would rather give a cabin away than sail with it empty.

Silversea used to allow officers with tighter quarters to occasionally occupy empty cabins as a special perk. Don't know if this is still the case. And they probably offer empty space to shoreside staff as a way to stay current with the product.

But, as Herman the Cat said, upgrades are a very slippery slope. Once you start, you really can't stop. It would alienate loyal passengers and ultimately, degrade the kind of luxury experience that Silversea has defined for itself.

Your best bet is to book early (for best choice of cabins) and keep your eye on the pricing. If it goes down, ask your TA to request a refund. But bear in mind that what looks like a lower price may only mean that free air or onboard credits were removed. Also, the basic, published fare is sometimes raised in order to come up with a bigger percent savings. Often, you'll find that the fares haven't changed at all. And on popular itineraries, fares sometimes go up, so you'll protect yourself by booking early.

When I sailed on the Silver Shadow, which was full, this past January, I did 4 of the excursions ... 2 I was wait listed on (got on both) and 1 I was told could be cancelled due to lack of interest. It wound up not being cancelled, but I wondered about that. If an excursion does get cancelled due to lack of interest, or not enough guests, does the company providing it get any kind of stipend or are they just out of luck?

As to suites going to employees, I made a dumb joke to the personal shopper on the Spirit about the 'perks' of working for a cruise line, as when I was young and working for Princess, shoreside employees cruised for free. He said any shoreside employees on a Silversea vessel are either working, or have paid a discounted fare if they are traveling for pleasure.

I guess the freebies of my generation are gone now. ;)

We were around 80% capacity on our 14-day Wind cruise in March. Obviously a number of empty cabins including some of the very high end. May not be correct but we got the impression Silversea, unless pressed by demand for lower categories, doesn't upgrade on a regular basis. We were in a Medallion booked directly with Silversea and, not that we cared, we're never offered even a paid up sell.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll bet you were offered the exchange because a potential booking wanted a Silver Suite (yours). Hope SS could convince them to take something else. Duct Tape said slim to none-- I concur. Never happens.

We have been upgraded at least 2 times on past voyages.

Archived