Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Swine Flu Impacting Cruises in Caribbean and Australia

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Swine Flu Impacting Cruises in Caribbean and Australia

Read the entire news article...

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Apparently there is now a cruise ship which has been quarantined!.
This panic is getting out of control as there is no evidence to suggest that swine flu is any worse than the 'normal' varieties. You don't have chaos in winter season when numbers of the crew catch flu, or do you?

I reckon it is a typical media fueled crisis created in their normal cynical way. I hate to say it but there are probably media types out there who would prefer MORE deaths, it sells papers.

Old June 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetheroad View Post
Apparently there is now a cruise ship which has been quarantined!.
This panic is getting out of control as there is no evidence to suggest that swine flu is any worse than the 'normal' varieties. You don't have chaos in winter season when numbers of the crew catch flu, or do you?

I reckon it is a typical media fueled crisis created in their normal cynical way. I hate to say it but there are probably media types out there who would prefer MORE deaths, it sells papers.
Dave I think you are so correct, there are more people killed on our roads each year than will probably die of this flu in the next 10 years. It is either justifying someones work position or, lets start a conspiracy, a cover up for something else

Old June 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetheroad View Post

From what I read swine flu has, in most cases, been relatively mild as flu goes. The problem is that populations haven't had time to build up a natural (or vaccinated) resistance to it so it can spread more easily.

I would call 'quarantining' a ship a sensible precaution to prevent spreading the disease into areas that are not affected; not a reason to panic or even be overly concerned for passengers & crew already on the ship.