Ocean Crossing

Binky66

I'm considering an ocean crossing on the Wind Surf, Canary Islands to St. Martin. I have sailed on the Wind Surf in the Carribian but not sure what to expect on a two week cruise. Some of the questions I have is:

Does the ship make any stops after leaving Canary Islands?

How is the weather during the 2 weeks?

Would I be able to lay out on the deck or is it too cool?

Would appreciate any info from anyone who has experienced this cruise. We will be sailing mid November, 2015.

We have done 2 Atlantic crossing both ways with Windstar and one Pacific crossing with Windstar and we love them, we would rather have 14 days on a boat that 7 hours economy in a plane any day. On one crossing Europe to Barbados we had to stop in Maderia for a piece of equipment and that was a great treat otherwise no stops. We have never had rough seas maybe we were lucky. They say going from East to West is calmer and warmer and I would agree. In that direction we sat out everyday, it became warmer the closer we came to the Caribbean. There are a minimal amout of activities, people are quiet and respectful, it gives one a great perspective of the size of the ocean, time is a calming factor, we get into a regime lots of reading, a friend who travelled with us saw almost every movie she missed in the past, she loved it, time is your friend. If they make good time over they cut the motors and are solely undersail and that is spectacular. On the Pacific crossing we we totally undersail for 2 days and we came into Tahiti undersail, magnificent. If you love the sea, love solitude, can entertain yourself, it is one terrific experience. Happy Sailing Susanne

• 1 month later...

Considering a TA. DW reads, a lot. I haven't finished a book in recent memory. As much as I do enjoy idle hours watching the horizon, 12 or so straight sea days lying out on deck, assuming the weather cooperates, does seems a lot.

Are there social activities on such itineraries or other things to occupy time?

Just trying to get the flavour of such a crossing on a small ship.

She also can get seasick so might have other things than reading.

Take a look at the posting by Rafinmd on his TA from Lisbon to Barbados. It's about 20 down on the main thread. He posted a day by day account of what he did during 20+ days at sea. He also posted tons of photos, menus and the daily activity sheets from his trip. I enjoyed following his entire voyage! I think that will answer your question. Enjoy!

One quick addition. The "Writing your legacy" program was a major step up in activities that the new owners tried. Participation was low but response from the participants was very positive, and the facilitator has been given feedback from management that he will be invited back again.

I am leaving on a cruise tomorrow and will be slow to answer questions, but will try to do so when I return.

Roy