ETSA needed for Alaska cruise?

We are doing a B2B Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward and return and need advice from any Aussies that have done this cruise.

We know we don't need a visa to enter Canada but are a bit confused about whether we need an ETSA as we are going to all US ports.

Do we need to get this or are we covered by the cruiseline?

Haven't done this cruise but I am pretty sure that as you are visiting US ports you will have to do it. If no-one can clarify check with the cruise line but I am pretty sure they will not handle it for you.

This cruise is on RCI and they never tell you which visa's are or are not required.

If you are landing into USA you will need an esta to get into the country.

We are landing in Vancouver and leaving from Vancouver but visiting US ports.

For Australian citizen, you do not need visa for Canada, initially entering pre-cruise or again when disembarking the ship (you will pass thru Canadian Immigration both ends).

You will need ESTA (or a visa for USA) to enter USA.

In Vancouver you will pass thru US Immigration in boarding process - effectively on board you are in US. If you don't have either of above, you will have trouble and likely won't get on board.

I take it you are on Radiance & the ports are all in USA - you will not pass thru US Immigration after initial boarding.

You will love Alaska.

For Australian citizen, you do not need visa for Canada, initially entering pre-cruise or again when disembarking the ship (you will pass thru Canadian Immigration both ends).

You will need ESTA (or a visa for USA) to enter USA.

In Vancouver you will pass thru US Immigration in boarding process - effectively on board you are in US. If you don't have either of above, you will have trouble and likely won't get on board.

I take it you are on Radiance & the ports are all in USA - you will not pass thru US Immigration after initial boarding.

You will love Alaska.

Thanks! This is what we thought when we read we would be going through US Immigration to get on the ship and it's good to have it confirmed :)

Yes we are on Radiance and we are really looking forward to Alaska, only 6 months to go :)

We are doing a B2B Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward and return and need advice from any Aussies that have done this cruise.

We know we don't need a visa to enter Canada but are a bit confused about whether we need an ETSA as we are going to all US ports.

Do we need to get this or are we covered by the cruiseline?

We did an Alaska cruise in Aug and as others have stated, yes, you will require a US visa (ESTA).

Easy to get online and good for 2 years.

That was going to be my next question, when to apply and how long it lasts ;)

dont apply for it too early as the previous poster said it lasts for 2 years and the cost was $14 if it hasnt gone up

2 points about the ESTA:

1. make sure you use the official US government website - there are other 3rd party webcompanies that charge an exhorbitant fee (not disclosed during the process) for this service. The esta you get is good, but cost you US$120+ instead of US$14

2. even though the ESTA website says it is recorded electronically & you don't need to print a copy - PRINT A COPY. We had a problem with DW's ESTA at the Amtrak railway US Immigration desk in Vancouver as DW's ESTA did not show up on their computer. We thought we were going to miss our train to Seattle to board our cruiseship - we had a day & a half to spare, but it was a problem at the time - I'm sure that having the printout assisted. We never found out what was the reason, as I did both on the one transaction and mine was fine :eek:.

I do not know when you are sailing or when the rules change (possibly 1 Jan 2015) but you may need a visa for Canada now. I cannot remember exactly what the new requirements were or even if they affect Australians that are visiting (i.e. tourist). Best to check out smartraveller dot gov dot au .:D

2 points about the ESTA:

1. make sure you use the official US government website - there are other 3rd party webcompanies that charge an exhorbitant fee (not disclosed during the process) for this service. The esta you get is good, but cost you US$120+ instead of US$14

2. even though the ESTA website says it is recorded electronically & you don't need to print a copy - PRINT A COPY. We had a problem with DW's ESTA at the Amtrak railway US Immigration desk in Vancouver as DW's ESTA did not show up on their computer. We thought we were going to miss our train to Seattle to board our cruiseship - we had a day & a half to spare, but it was a problem at the time - I'm sure that having the printout assisted. We never found out what was the reason, as I did both on the one transaction and mine was fine :eek:.

Yes I came across these sites during my research, good information for people that are looking at this for the first time :)

We not only print all documents but upload secure electronic versions just in case. There would be nothing worse than to travel all that way and be turned back!

I do not know when you are sailing or when the rules change (possibly 1 Jan 2015) but you may need a visa for Canada now. I cannot remember exactly what the new requirements were or even if they affect Australians that are visiting (i.e. tourist). Best to check out smartraveller dot gov dot au .:D

Can you remember where you heard this? I can't find anything about the rules changing at all and I checked all of the sites including the Canadian Gov sites when I made my bookings. I went back and tried to see if there was new information after reading your post and none of them are warning of changes to come?

Yes I came across these sites during my research, good information for people that are looking at this for the first time :)

We not only print all documents but upload secure electronic versions just in case. There would be nothing worse than to travel all that way and be turned back!

Can you remember where you heard this? I can't find anything about the rules changing at all and I checked all of the sites including the Canadian Gov sites when I made my bookings. I went back and tried to see if there was new information after reading your post and none of them are warning of changes to come?

I have had a quick look and it seems it is for entrepeneurs (work type visa) sorry for the panic.:o

Airlines check that you have the correct visa before you board their plane. If you don't have the visa, you will be refused boarding because the airline has to fly you back to your starting point if the destination country won't let you enter. Either way, you will have paid for the flight and the cruise and not been able to enjoy either one. :)

It is very quick getting the ESTA. As your cruise is in May, I suggest you make a big note at home to apply for it in the middle of April. That would give you plenty of lee-way. After all, if you get it now, you might find that you want to do another trip to the USA at a time that it would have been expired. That happened to us and we were glad we only applied for the ESTA a couple of weeks before the first trip. Yes - I know it is only $14, but it is more more thing to do and navigate your way through their forms.

Have a fantastic trip. :)

Edited by Aus Traveller

Airlines check that you have the correct visa before you board their plane. If you don't have the visa, you will be refused boarding because the airline has to fly you back to your starting point if the destination country won't let you enter. Either way, you will have paid for the flight and the cruise and not been able to enjoy either one. :)

Would that have been the case for us though? We are flying into and returning from Vancouver and don't actually need a visa for Canada.

Would that have been the case for us though? We are flying into and returning from Vancouver and don't actually need a visa for Canada.

You are probably correct - they would probably allow you to make the flight. The lack of an ESTA would only be a problem when you tried to check in for the cruise.

You are probably correct - they would probably allow you to make the flight. The lack of an ESTA would only be a problem when you tried to check in for the cruise.

Or for us the Amtrak train from Vancouver to Seattle :eek: Yes we flew direct to Canada and thus no airline check of any ESTA.

Just a note - I have read that if you have been convicted of DUI in Australia you will not be able to enter Canada as they see this as a criminal offence and you will be denied entry....

We are on the Radiance on 5 June travelling south from Seward - make sure you look after her for us.

Edited by Bizziecruzer

Having embarked on Princess Cruise Line ships a few times from the US of A and indeed Buenos Aires in Argentina, ending in LA this year, Princess check in staff demanded to view our ESTA's. So my advice is to print them out. No ESTA no cruise. Some people assume Alaska is in Canada, no sir, it is in the Land of the Free.

Edited by NSWP

Having embarked on Princess Cruise Line ships a few times from the US of A and indeed Buenos Aires in Argentina, ending in LA this year, Princess check in staff demanded to view our ESTA's. So my advice is to print them out. No ESTA no cruise. Some people assume Alaska is in Canada, no sir, it is in the Land of the Free.

The uS will have it all in the system electronically, but print outs are the easiest way of showing that you were prepared when checking in elsewhere and they (not the US) do not have access to the system.:D

I am of the belief that we Australian passport holders NEED as a minimum requirement to enter the U.S, even if your cruise does not begin or end there but calls at US ports, an ESTA = electronic system travel authority.... Alaska is an American State...;):D

Had a quick look at the link posted and I see one of the Visa Waiver Program requirements is: you are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program if you have authorization to travel via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Personally I would just apply and if they say you need ..... pay the pittance.... do you really want nightmares about the possibility of denied boarding... I wouldn't :D

Edited by badgerbill