Chi. Trib Writer: Why Love Australia, People, History?

TLCOhio

From the Chicago Tribune earlier this week, they have this headline: "People Down Under are up and over the top" with these highlights: "Why visit Australia? After all, isn't it just America with kangaroos? In preparation, we read Robert Hughes' great book, 'The Fatal Shore,' about the European colonization of Australia, and before we even set foot in the country we began a love affair with it. Hughes describes how England in the late 18th century sent almost its entire prison class halfway around the world, hoping to never see it again. Instead they built a model society that today in many ways surpasses England itself."

This writer has more interesting insights and comments: "In the building process, Australia developed an upbeat, confident, can-do spirit that infuses almost everyone. We saw it in the retired teacher who rented us his cabin cruiser without deposit or even ID. When we admitted that none of us had ever piloted a boat, he said, 'No troubles, mate. I'll give you a quick lesson.' We saw it everywhere. We loved the Australians. They are living proof that democracy, with all its flaws, works and that the human spirit is, indeed, indomitable."

Full story at:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/sc-trav-0729-strip-why-australia-20140729-story.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 69,408 views for this fun posting.

Can you shut up, we don't want everyone to know.

MicCanberra: Aww shucks Terry' date=' you will have us all blushing soon. thanks for posting the article. [/quote']

happysnapper: Australia today Don't you just love this place. I just hope they can say the same about us in 100 years time!

Appreciate these cute and varied comments from above on the other Aussie-NZ board. Hard to keep it secret that people love Australia' date=' its people, etc. It was nice reading some of these details, including how England thought it was getting rid of "bad" folks who turned out to do great things.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 151,659 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate these cute and varied comments from above on the other Aussie-NZ board. Hard to keep it secret that people love Australia, its people, etc. It was nice reading some of these details, including how England thought it was getting rid of "bad" folks who turned out to do great things.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 151,659 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

G'day Terry

USA says something like [and sorry for the bits I get wrong] Send us your poor, oppressed ... etc" My goodness that's what Aus was founded with.

By the way love your photos of Tas and NZ.

With the wonders of technology I was recently very excited to find out that I am descended from at least three convicts, one of whom arrived in 1794 and was later on murdered. Amazing that our family now is so very "stable" ie boring but happy! Our little grandsons' heritage is English Scottish Welsh and Irish,Italian German and French. Which equals 100% oz.

G'day Terry. USA says something like [and sorry for the bits I get wrong] Send us your poor, oppressed ... etc" My goodness that's what Aus was founded with. By the way love your photos of Tas and NZ.

Karennella: With the wonders of technology I was recently very excited to find out that I am descended from at least three convicts' date=' one of whom arrived in 1794 and was later on murdered. Amazing that our family now is so very "stable" ie boring but happy! Our little grandsons' heritage is English Scottish Welsh and Irish,Italian German and French. Which equals 100% oz. [/quote']

Yes, interesting family and country developments details in the above two posts. Don't know of any other places in the world that have quite this type of unique history. Fun learning more during our trip, plus the before and after research, reading. Also, appreciate the nice comments from GUT2407 on my pictures. It's fun sharing and getting people to look at my vacation pictures.

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. Check it out, including recent updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 21,586 views for this posting.

With the wonders of technology I was recently very excited to find out that I am descended from at least three convicts, one of whom arrived in 1794 and was later on murdered. Amazing that our family now is so very "stable" ie boring but happy! Our little grandsons' heritage is English Scottish Welsh and Irish,Italian German and French. Which equals 100% oz.

Very interesting! I am also descended from a few convicts. The first one came out on the Second Fleet in 1790 and was eventually pardoned. He later married a female convict who came out with her convict daughter but when she died he married the daughter and had 2 children with her. A bit Bold and the Beautiful but it is what it is!

Regards Elaine.