Papamoa Beach in Tauranga?

BayAreaBC

Does anyone know how easy it is to get to Papamoa Beach in Tauranga?

Supposedly Tauranga has some of the best beaches in New Zealand. I'm sure I can catch a cab to there but I am not sure how easy it would be to get back.

Ask the taxi driver to pick you up again at a certain time. Papamoa beach is not far out of the Tauranga cruise port, which is actually on the Mt Maunganui isthmus.

Or if you have a cellphone with global roaming, take note of the taxi company's phone number or ask the driver for a business card, and ring them when you are ready to go back to the ship.

Any particular reason why you want to go down to Papamoa? Because all of that side of Mt Maunganui is just one long gorgeous beach. You could walk across the isthmus to the nearest part of the beach in less than ten minutes.

Note: if you're planning on swimming at the beach you may be better of going to the main Mt Maunganui beach. Some NZ beaches can have tricky surf conditions.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how easy it is to get to Papamoa Beach in Tauranga?

Supposedly Tauranga has some of the best beaches in New Zealand. I'm sure I can catch a cab to there but I am not sure how easy it would be to get back.

Kia ora,

Papamoa is basically an extension of the beach on the seaward side of the Mount (the ship will dock a few hundred yards away on the 'inner harbour side'). Papamoa beach will probably be much more empty than the Mount beach, which is indeed a great beach. That part of the coast is really one long expanse of sand and you could walk it from the ship to the nearest part in an hour. however, unless you have a particular reason to go to Papamoa your time may be more beneficially spent at the Mount beach, which is where we go if in the area (rather than Papamoa beach)

AQUARIANS