Taxi alert-they tried to talk us into going to another resort!!

sunsetbeachgal

Just a word of warning about the taxi drivers in Cozumel. We were at Puerta Maya cruise pier last week, a group of eight adults, and I had decided that based on research on these boards that Paradise Beach was the best fit for our group.

Well, some of our group arrived at the taxi stand just before we did, and they came up to me and said that one of the taxi drivers said we did not want to go to Paradise Beach and the price we had been quoted of $3 per person (plus $10 food/drink) was not correct and we would be charged much more. He told them that we should go somewhere else instead, I think the Ocean Club or something like that. I became suspicious, I had a printed copy of my email about the price, and made the decision that the group would go to Paradise Beach, which turned out to be a wonderful decision! The price was exactly what the email said, he had lied to try to get us to go elsewhere.

My suspicion is that he was being paid or given something by the other beach club to take folks there and my advice is to be aware of this and if you want to go to a particular place, insist that this is where you be taken!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Just a word of warning about the taxi drivers in Cozumel. We were at Puerta Maya cruise pier last week, a group of eight adults, and I had decided that based on research on these boards that Paradise Beach was the best fit for our group.

Well, some of our group arrived at the taxi stand just before we did, and they came up to me and said that one of the taxi drivers said we did not want to go to Paradise Beach and the price we had been quoted of $3 per person (plus $10 food/drink) was not correct and we would be charged much more. He told them that we should go somewhere else instead, I think the Ocean Club or something like that. I became suspicious, I had a printed copy of my email about the price, and made the decision that the group would go to Paradise Beach, which turned out to be a wonderful decision! The price was exactly what the email said, he had lied to try to get us to go elsewhere.

My suspicion is that he was being paid or given something by the other beach club to take folks there and my advice is to be aware of this and if you want to go to a particular place, insist that this is where you be taken!!

I thought you posted this yesterday but at least I see today you do give an indication of where the taxi may have preferred to take you.

This happens regularly with taxis on the street, especially with beach bars and restaurants and I am sure it happens at other ports as well as Cozumel. Your suspicions are probably correct. It is good to be "buyer beware " and thanks for the reminder.

I have never been to Puerta Maya so I don't know the set up there but at International the taxi stand is managed by a dispatcher where you stand in line, next to a board with posted rates, and you tell the dispatcher where you want to go and how many people.

Could it be that your group were approached by a vendor soliciting for the beach club before you reached the taxi stand? Any way glad that you stood firm and reached your intended destination and enjoyed your day.

Our ATV adventure ended with a beach break that our tickets claimed was playa mia but we were taken to the Ocean club. It was super small. Nothing like playa mia. You should be twice as happy you didn't fall for there trick.

This is sad. Cozumel has always had a good taxi reputation from what i have heard so this is not good.

There are lots of independent tour operators wandering around outside of the cruise ports. My guess is that is who you spoke with. If you go to the MAIN taxi station, the one with the signs and taxis lined up, you won't have a problem. This is true at each port in cozumel.

We were definitely within the port area, and met up where taxis are queued up and where there was a sign posted with the fares listed to various points. The man speaking to my friends certainly looked and was dressed like a taxi driver.

I was warned that you can expect people to want to take you elsewhere at Costa Maya (which our ship had to skip due to high seas and wind) but was not expecting this at Cozumel. I am just glad that I stood my ground and didn't change our plans last minute, and didn't appreciate him lying to us and bad-mouthing Paradise Beach in order to try to persuade to us go elsewhere! I went back and read about this "Ocean Club"on tripadvisor, and it doesn't sound nearly as nice as Paradise Beach.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

This is a common thing at so many tourist areas.

Thanks for the heads up but don't be shocked by it.

Taxi driver likely has relationship to owners and one can guess there is a financial

benefit to his directing people to 'his' property.