Westminster Abbey

When we visit London, I would love to see the shrine of St.Edward the Confessor in Westminster Abbey.

To do this, I need to be on a verger-led tour. My question is will it be too late to arrange this once we arrive in London, or is it even too late to arrange now? We will be in London on July 24th.

Why don't you give them a ring or email - I thought we could see the tomb from the main area - though could be mistaken. It is behind the high altar.

Tours and foreign school visits

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7654 4832

Email: tours@westminster-abbey.org

thanks, Aussieflyer.

From what I've read, the only way to see is is on a guided tour. The tours e-mail is only for school or large groups, but I will try phoning them as soon as I figure out a good time for me and them ;)

You might also try London Walks. They go through there, but I don't recall what areas.

I"ll check that out. Now that you mention it, I seem to remember reading that there was one that did.

Don't ask me why it is so important to me to see the shrine of someone who has been dead for just less than 1000 years ;)

Hi...

When I visited Westminster Abbey a couple of years ago, there were verger tours at various times during the day. I just walked up to the desk and paid my money. I only had to wait about 15 minutes before the tour started. It was well worth my money!

Have fun!!

Hi...

When I visited Westminster Abbey a couple of years ago, there were verger tours at various times during the day. I just walked up to the desk and paid my money. I only had to wait about 15 minutes before the tour started. It was well worth my money!

Have fun!!

Ah! I missed your post.

I did discover that the verger tours can be pre-reserved, but no more than 2 days in advance. I am planning to take advantage of this, since the only 2 things I "MUST" see in London are the Shrine and the Tower of London and I plan to go to the Tower first and then to WEstminster Abbey and if I can't get a spot in the 2:30PM tour, I'm out of luck.

If I can't get the reservations, I would go to WA FIRST, then to the Tower.

Thanks again, everyone!

I was just in London at the end of June with my 17 yr old son and we did the verger-led tour. We had arrived in London the day before and just called from the hotel for the next day and had no trouble getting on the first tour (10am) which was the one we wanted. Highly recommend this tour. (When I was in London by myself in 2005 I just walked around with the headset and the verger tour is a much better way to go.) I would suggest you try to do Westminster first then head over to the Tower. That way you won't be worried about how much time you can spend at the Tower (we stayed 4 hours). A nice day is Westminster Abbey, then walk down Whithall (passing Dowing Street-No 10 is where the PM lives) to Trafalgar Square. Have a nice lunch at the crypt at St. Martin's in the Field (cafeteria-style, right on the square), then hop the Tube to Tower Hill. I have been to the Tower twice, both times in the afternoon (and in the summer) and have never waited more than a few minutes to see the Crown Jewels. I think most tour books tell people to go first thing in the morning so it may be more crowded then. Anyway, after visiting the Tower, hop on a Thames River boat back to Westminster Pier. (At the Tower walk right through the gift shop to the ramp to the Tower Pier.) If you came by Tube show your ticket for a 30% discount (it will only cost a 3-4 pounds). A very enjoyable 30-minute ride with very funny commentary by the river guides. Once at Westminster Pier the Tube is right there and taxis are plentiful (or if you still have any energy left you can walk across Westminster Bridge and ride the London Eye!-open until 10pm). Enjoy your trip.

• 3 weeks later...

sboh - I missed your last post - but you did have some great, specific advice.

we were told when we got to our hotel that after they called to get us reservations on the verger led tour that reservations weren't necessary. Hoping this was so, we continued with our original plan.

went bright and early to the Tower. Found out from the tube ticket seller about the money off on the river cruise (I had read about it hear, but couldn't find the pages with the details). We got to the tower early -

bought tube tickets at 8:55, despite excellent instructions, I got on the wrong train, got off at the next station, got on ANOTHER wrong train, go off at the next station, asked directions again, got on the right train ;)

and bought our Tower tickets at 9:53 (after visiting the "loo"). No line. We were in the gate and on a guided tour at 10 :).

After the guided tour we went to see the Crown Jewels. Not much of a line at all. Then we had a bite at the Armouries cafe - we were both dying of thirst.

Then we went into the White Tower and walked around the walls and inside more.

Stopped at the gift shop on our way through it, visited the loo again, hopped on the river boat - longest line we experienced. The cruise to Westminster Pier was entertaining and interesting.

Got my pic of Boadicea (a particular heroine of mine) and headed to Westminster Abbey. We were about 45 minutes early for the 2:00PM verger led tour and were the first two people signed up for it. We familiarized ourselves with the abbey before the tour. The tour was well worth the extra 3 pounds. Not only were we able to go "up" into the Shrine of St. Edward, but when we were there we were able to see, up close, the floor of the altar from behind. We sat in the Quire chairs. It was fantastic and everything I hoped for. It was after 4 when we left the Abbey.

I found the prices of the gift shop very reasonable for London, too, and got directions for the nearest tube station from the clerk.

Archived