Lisbon Tour Card

wannaberetired

Hello Travel Experts!

We are on the Sept 2012 Lisbon to Rome cruise. I was checking out tourist sites in Lisbon and came across the "Lisboa Card" This card gives you free access to mass transit in the City, free access to some of the tourist sites and discounts to other sites and shopping. The cost for 2 people for 48 hours is about 61 euro - about 30 euro per person. Sounds good on the website, but was wondering if anyone has ever used it and if it worked well and was worth purchasing. Thanks!

We have not used the Lisboa card in particular, but we've been to Lisbon and seen many of the sights on the card, and we've used these type of cards in London, Paris, and Rome. Almost all of them include unlimited public transport. They have always worked as advertised; never had an issue using one of them.

There are two major types of passes - one type is expensive, but all the attractions are free; the second is relatively cheap, but few things are free. The Lisboa card seems more like the second - a few freebies, more discounts.

We tend to prefer the expensive one where everything is free; that way, we go to a lot of attractions but tour them quickly. If you have to pay, even at a discount, it slows us down because we feel as if we have to stay and see the entire attraction to get our money's worth. Plus, most of the expensive passes let you jump the line, or take a separate entrance - in Paris or London, when it gets mobbed (think the Louvre), that can be very nice!

Should also note that when we were there, public transport in Lisbon was dirt cheap - an all day pass runs about 5€, and you can buy it in a minute at the automated ticket machines in the Metro stations. So your 48h ticket includes 10€ worth of transportation, and about 20€ worth of admission fees.

If you're going to visit most of the freebies, I'd say it's worth buying the pass. If you're going to visit relatively few of the freebies, and just go to the ones where you get a discounted entry, the pass may not pay for itself; in that case, you would do better to buy your own transport pass and just buy tickets for the places you visit. For a first-time visitor who wants to do things on their own, the pass is probably a good deal.

Enjoy Lisbon - it's a great city! We've been there twice; once for disembarkation, so we had two full days there. You can see most of the city in that time. The second time was just a cruise stop, and we took the train to Sintra - another highly recommended excursion, though it's almost an hour out of town. Lots of enjoyable things to choose!

I believe the card will cost you more than what you will spend just paying as you go, The city is very walkable and transportation is very cheap.

Museum and other sight entries are cheap or free.and there is a HOHO bus if walking is not an option. Enjoy Lisbon! :)

I can't agree that two full days is sufficient to see Lisbon. It's a good start, I'll agree with that ... We've spent much more time in Lisbon than that and keep on finding new things to see (although I do try to get to the Gulbenkian as often as I can).

Sintra is marvelous as well and if you have the time (and have been to Lisbon before) is well worth at least a full day.

Mura

Many thanks for the quick responses. Will take it all under consideration and will look into entrance fees for specific sites we want to see. We are there for 2 full days so will have to save Sintra for another trip, but happy to hear everyone enjoyed Lisbon!

Archived