SF hotels close to cruise pier?

NRWPA

Can anyone help with the names of several hotels near the cruise ship pier? Is Fisherman's Wharf the areas closest to (or part of) the cruise ship piers? Are there other good neighborhoods nearby (Embarcardero?) that would be in close proximity to the pier? We'll be sailing NCL in April 2006. Thanks!

Actually, Fisherman's Wharf area is around a good 10 blocks radius. Your best bet for the closest hotel is the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. There are a couple of motels across the street on Beach Street. Across the other street (Mason), is the Best Western Tuscany Inn. It is fairly new and looks decent. Then, one and half blocks down from Sheraton, I think they have a Hyatt, Marriott, and Holiday Inns.

My parents used to own a business in Pier 39 complex (this is entertainment/shopping complex next to the cruise terminal). So I know the Sheraton is pretty close. About 1 1/2 short blocks away from the docks. You can easily walk there with rolled luggage. Plus, there is a small mall along Mason Street across from the Sheraton which has a Walgreen's, Safeway, Blockbuster, Hair/Nalon Salon, Burger King, and Blockbuster. From the Sheraton, you can walk up one block on Mason Street, and catch the cable car to the Union Square area for upscale shopping. Tons of taxis in this area, in addition to taking public transportation.

Make sure you come early or stay after your cruise. This is one beautiful city! Oh, Gary Danko was named the #1 restaurant in San Francisco recently. It is in the Fisherman's Wharf area. I heard it you need to make reservations a couple of months in advance (or hotel concierge work their magic). I should try this restaurant one day. So many choices in San Francisco. My personal favorite is Boulevards, along the waterfront.

Have a wonderful time here!

Cynthia

Actually, Fisherman's Wharf area is around a good 10 blocks radius. Your best bet for the closest hotel is the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. There are a couple of motels across the street on Beach Street. Across the other street (Mason), is the Best Western Tuscany Inn. It is fairly new and looks decent. Then, one and half blocks down from Sheraton, I think they have a Hyatt, Marriott, and Holiday Inns.

My parents used to own a business in Pier 39 complex (this is entertainment/shopping complex next to the cruise terminal). So I know the Sheraton is pretty close. About 1 1/2 short blocks away from the docks. You can easily walk there with rolled luggage. Plus, there is a small mall along Mason Street across from the Sheraton which has a Walgreen's, Safeway, Blockbuster, Hair/Nalon Salon, Burger King, and Blockbuster. From the Sheraton, you can walk up one block on Mason Street, and catch the cable car to the Union Square area for upscale shopping. Tons of taxis in this area, in addition to taking public transportation.

Make sure you come early or stay after your cruise. This is one beautiful city! Oh, Gary Danko was named the #1 restaurant in San Francisco recently. It is in the Fisherman's Wharf area. I heard it you need to make reservations a couple of months in advance (or hotel concierge work their magic). I should try this restaurant one day. So many choices in San Francisco. My personal favorite is Boulevards, along the waterfront.

Have a wonderful time here!

Cynthia

Thank you Cynthia and Digby for the replies - much appreciated! We will be in SF 2 nights post-cruise. We were there last year, but came on a bus tour from our campground and really didn't have time to scope out the different areas much (and didn't realize I'd be ending a cruise there!). It was a very comprehensive tour, but left little time to spend in any one area - just enough to get a "taste" of the area.

Archived