Best Way to Bring Alcohol Home on a plane after the cruise?

kcp5

Good morning! So please tell me.....what is the best way to get bottles of alcohol purchased on board safely home when you need to fly home after the cruise? I do have a Magellan's Bottle Armour that I haven't tried yet --- but am wondering if anyone had any great ideas, especially if we may bring home 3 to 4 bottles as souveniers? Thanks!

I used to bring a sheet of bubble wrap (with the large bubbles). Wrap

each bottle individually and stuff in the middle of our dirty clothes.

Never had a problem with the bottles breaking. Stopped bringing

liquor home when we had to pay for more than one suitcase.

i have bubble wrap bags, i am lucky i can get them at work, as the other poster suggested. i put in the middle of my luggage.

I have never had one break..(yet) . last 3 trips 6 bottles in luggage.. :D

every bottle in own bubble wrap bag. if you have a big concern about them breaking put it in the bubble wrap a huge zip lock bag

time for a trip to Cozmel need refills

I have a few of those hard cardboard wine tubes that you buy as gift containers (frequently found in dollar stores). I also pack some of the small bubble wrap as added protection. They are much better than the "wine diapers" we purchased specifically for that purpose and are great for packing other delicate purchases.

My husband and I usually wrap our clothes around the the bottles and make sure they have a cushion of clothes all around them so even if the suitcase gets knocked around the bottles shouldn't break. Our first experience with it was atrocious...Nothing broke, but we found ourselves at the airport scrambling to rearrange our suitcases at the curb because even though it comes in that cute "take me home" box from CARNIVAL...we were told by crew members that it would be okay to take as a carry-on onto the plane. We didnt think much of it at the time cuz we believed they knew what they were talking about. NOT! IT IS NOT A CARRY_ON BOX you have to pack it in your suitcase. If you keep it in the CARNIVAL box and pack it in your suitcase first then pack your clothes around it that works like a charm. We make sure we pack a collapsible duffle from now on just in case and that is an extra piece of "checked" luggage for the ride home. That is where we pack the extra clothes (dirty or clean) unbreakable souvenirs that wont fit in your suitcase because of the alochol. We dont get charged for the extra bag and it wont matter if it gets lost on the way home. Good luck! CHEERS!

We always use kids swim arm floaties. Put them around the bottle deflated and blow them up once around the bottles. This time of year you can find them on clearance for under $1 most places and they are tall enough to cover most of the bottle.

We always use kids swim arm floaties. Put them around the bottle deflated and blow them up once around the bottles. This time of year you can find them on clearance for under $1 most places and they are tall enough to cover most of the bottle.

That's a GREAT idea!! I've read it here before, but had since forgotten. This is the first time we're flying to/from a cruise (usually drive from GA,but this is our honeymoon :)). Time to go to the dollar store to stock up! :D

Good morning! So please tell me.....what is the best way to get bottles of alcohol purchased on board safely home when you need to fly home after the cruise? I do have a Magellan's Bottle Armour that I haven't tried yet --- but am wondering if anyone had any great ideas, especially if we may bring home 3 to 4 bottles as souveniers? Thanks!

I can tell you how NOT to do it. We found awesome prices in St. Thomas and other places and stocked up several years ago. Then of course, at the airport we realized we couldn't take the packages on the plane anymore since 9/11. You would think we would have thought of this as we cruise and travel frequently but ....for whatever reason we just didn't.

So the airline had lovely "cushions" that they sold us for $5 each and inflated for us. Oh and then we had to purchase an extra duffel bag to put them in. And pay $25 for the extra bag. So those bargain bottles ended up the same price we could have bought them in the US... we still laugh about it and now we have about 10 inflatable bottle bags. And we HAVE used them since. I do love the dollar store swimmers idea, but probably won't ever have need to use it since now we're within driving distance of 5-6 ports.

Our recent cruise we did not bother cause we had all carry ons and paying to check a bag would have made the prices the same as at home. Not really worth it anymore to us and we used to always bring home a ton when we could carry them on.

i have bubble wrap bags, i am lucky i can get them at work, as the other poster suggested. i put in the middle of my luggage.

I have never had one break..(yet) . last 3 trips 6 bottles in luggage.. :D

every bottle in own bubble wrap bag. if you have a big concern about them breaking put it in the bubble wrap a huge zip lock bag

time for a trip to Cozmel need refills

YES, put bottles in a really strong sealed ziplock, we docked in New Zealand and then had to fly on to Australia, I wrapped 2 bottles of Kaluah in Towels, then thick winter clothing etc and put them in the middle of the suitcase, when we got our suitcases off the carousel in Sydney Airport all we could smell was Kaluah, one bottle was smashed and everything in the suitcase was saturated, not the kind of washing job you want when you first come home from a cruises!!

We have always just put it in the middle of our luggage, wrapped in clothes and padded by all the dirty laundry. Never had an issue!

(Including the time we nearly missed our connecting flight in London...luggage did. Our luggage was eventually delivered to our house 3 days later - Italian Wine still intact!)

We use this:

http://winediaper.com/

I don't usually take wine onboard, but I do like to bring Rum home from the various ports. This zips closed and offers a little padding; tucked in among the rest of the suitcase contents, it's pretty secure. While I've never lost a bottle, I know it will happen someday. :o Our last cruise we made it home with 19 bottles (including the little ones) without a casualty (see the picture below).

Stuff I've found that's good to know: a 750 ml bottle weighs about 3 pounds and the TSA gets cranky if you put more than 5L of booze per bag. Also, a second checked bag costs less on most airlines than an overweight one.

Also take bubble wrap and xl zip bags for those odd shaped bottles & fragibles.

rumcruisebounty.jpg.252af70c033ec5cd0296fc9d12bc2061.jpg

Archived