Seasoned Alaska Cruisers if you could pick just one...

laurac22

If you could pick just one of your favorite itineraries,ships/lines,and time of year, that you've done Alaska, what would it be?

Starting to plan for 2015, and am so overwhelmed. I have read a lot and have an idea of ports that we want to see, just arn't sure about Ship, round trip or one way and such. At some point during our trip we do want to be in Seattle, as my son has a bucket list and wants to see all the MLB ballparks, so have to do that being so close. We are happy to travel from there to Vancouver and back, any suggestions? TIA:)

Oh, well that is a really easy question to answer.

14 day HAL ms Amsterdam round trip from Seattle, with port stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Strait, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Sitka, and Victoria, and with glacier viewing at Sawyer Glacier (via Tracy Arm) and Hubbard Glacier.

We loved this itinerary so much that we did it twice, once in 2010, when it included Glacier Bay and Skagway instead of Tracy Arm and Icy Strait, and then again in 2012. I'd do it again in a minute if I had the chance.

We have done 2 Alaskan cruises and have a 3rd booked. Our first one was round-trip Seattle on NCL Star. It was a wonderful cruise.

Our second was on NCL Sun this past summer and it was 1 way - Vancouver to Whittier. I think this was a better cruise. We flew from Philly to Seattle and stayed a day and then took the Amtrak train to Vancouver. Beautiful.

Our next cruise is a 10 day that departs Seattle in September of 2015. It is a 10 day cruise that will end in Vancouver but will hit new ports for us such as Icy Straight Point, Sitka and Victoria. I am so looking forward to it.

All and all, it depends on the number of days you can take for the trip and what is most important to you.

Oh, well that is a really easy question to answer.

14 day HAL ms Amsterdam round trip from Seattle, with port stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Strait, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Sitka, and Victoria, and with glacier viewing at Sawyer Glacier (via Tracy Arm) and Hubbard Glacier.

We loved this itinerary so much that we did it twice, once in 2010, when it included Glacier Bay and Skagway instead of Tracy Arm and Icy Strait, and then again in 2012. I'd do it again in a minute if I had the chance.

Thanks for the fast response! That sounds amazing! I guess I should have specified 7 or 8 night, We were thinking 2 days in Seattle and then a week curise with a couple days on the other end, or vise versa. A total of maybe 11 days.

We have done 2 Alaskan cruises and have a 3rd booked. Our first one was round-trip Seattle on NCL Star. It was a wonderful cruise.

Our second was on NCL Sun this past summer and it was 1 way - Vancouver to Whittier. I think this was a better cruise. We flew from Philly to Seattle and stayed a day and then took the Amtrak train to Vancouver. Beautiful.

Our next cruise is a 10 day that departs Seattle in September of 2015. It is a 10 day cruise that will end in Vancouver but will hit new ports for us such as Icy Straight Point, Sitka and Victoria. I am so looking forward to it.

All and all, it depends on the number of days you can take for the trip and what is most important to you.

Thank you so much! That 10 day cruise sounds wonderful, wish we had more time, and money!

If you could pick just one of your favorite itineraries,ships/lines,and time of year, that you've done Alaska, what would it be?

Starting to plan for 2015, and am so overwhelmed. I have read a lot and have an idea of ports that we want to see, just arn't sure about Ship, round trip or one way and such. At some point during our trip we do want to be in Seattle, as my son has a bucket list and wants to see all the MLB ballparks, so have to do that being so close. We are happy to travel from there to Vancouver and back, any suggestions? TIA:)

Just my opinion and from my experience:

Alaska in May via Inside Passage out of Vancouver for the best prices and the chance to see all of the new baby wildlife coming out.

Skagway train to the Yukon through snow-covered hills is breathtaking:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1070

Glacier Bay and Ketchikan are musts.

Itinerary: Fly to Seattle, rent a car for several days, drop the rental car off in Vancouver near the cruise terminal, overnight near the Canada Place cruise terminal, overnight in Vancouver after the cruise, rental car back to Seattle.

Rental car saves much higher airline ticket costs to land in Vancouver and lets you set your own schedule. Southwest Airlines does not charge for first two bags whereas those airlines flying to Vancouver do charge.

Edited by Crew News

Just my opinion and from my experience:

Alaska in May via Inside Passage out of Vancouver for the best prices and the chance to see all of the new baby wildlife coming out.

Skagway train to the Yukon through snow-covered hills is breathtaking:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1070

Glacier Bay and Ketchikan are musts.

Itinerary: Fly to Seattle, rent a car for several days, drop the rental car off in Vancouver near the cruise terminal, overnight near the Canada Place cruise terminal, overnight in Vancouver after the cruise, rental car back to Seattle.

Rental car saves much higher airline ticket costs to land in Vancouver and lets you set your own schedule. Southwest Airlines does not charge for first two bags whereas those airlines flying to Vancouver do charge.

Thanks, This sounds like something I was thinking. Do you have a favorite ship?

My favorite is Holland America Ms Zuiderdam.

Agreed, the Zuiderdam is a wonderful ship (especially if you can get one of the aft wrap Neptune Suites - heaven), as is HAL's Amsterdam. We have cruised Alaska three times in early May and once in mid-September -- all were wonderful and generally we had good weather except for an odd day here and there. I prefer the one-way Seward to Vancouver cruises given the choice, but if not for you, I definitely agree with the suggestion that you somehow do your roundtrip out of Vancouver rather than Seattle, and the suggestion of driving up from Seattle is a good one. Smoother seas, better itineraries, and embarking at Canada Place is a very easy and pleasant experience, especially if you can stay at the Pan Pacific atop it on the night before. My must item for an itinerary is Glacier Bay - what a fantastic experience. Have done twice and never will get tired of it.

What you are going to get- is raves about the Alaska cruises the posters took. :) I am pushing 40 cruises to Alaska, and guess what, EVERY one of them was enjoyable. :) :) :)

I do have my "favorite" itineraries but doesn't mean that is going to be yours. For me the preference is time. I like what I do and enjoy my touring- so I usually have more time there than most people.

May can be a great time to go, actually this timeframe was my only "perfect weather trip". But, I do very much, like, August, salmon running, bear watches, colors and "fall" in Denali Park, no bugs at Wonder Lake, later, northern lights etc.

Thank you all for your responses. I have tried to narrow it down, but not having all the 2015 itineraries out is making it a bit more difficult. I really want to have a good idea of which cruise, so I can book quickly when they come out, because I need two balcony cabins one that is accessible, and one connected or right next door. I know how quickly the accessible cabins can go.

I have decided that Late May early June is best for us. I am looking at two itineraries right now.

1. Princess 7 night round trip Seattle with Glacier Bay,...I know that the Vancouver RT is better, but the choice of ships that do RT Vancouver and stop in Glacier Bay, and Skagway have things that don't work for us. This would be the least expensive way to go, with less manuvering around, but just not sure it's our best option?

2. Radiance of the seas 7 day Southbound Seward to Vancouver. This has Hubbard Glacier instead Of glacier Bay, But read Hubbard is next best thing to Glacier Bay? So many of the iteneraries that work for us have Tracy Arm, But we are taking my MIL and she says its a once in a life time and I want to make sure she see's the best options (within reason) and I've read Tracy Arm is not if you don't think you will get back to AL.

If we did this one, We would fly to Anchorage night before train to Seward, sail to Vancouver maybe stay night then train to Seattle stay the night and fly home from there.

Is this one just to hard to manage, and does it still make sense to spend the money to go to Southbound if we don't have extra time to do a land tour?

A little history...My 19 YR old Son will be traveling with us, and is Ill and in a wheelchair. I know most people traveling to Alaska say the ship is not important, however for us it is. We spend more time on the ship, as he tires easily and many ports are not easily accessible and tours that he would like are not as well. So often times the ship is his destination. He likes a bigger, newer, style of ship With a younger vibe. Also he spends a great deal of time on the balcony which he loves, but can't stand to see over it, so we want a clear glass balcony wall. Many ships sailing Alaska don't have this. We have only sailed RCCL and Celebrity so we are more farmiliar with those lines.

Now that you've got more of an Idea of what we're looking for...Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!

After BQ I've probably done more than almost anyone else, with over 20+. My favorite time is first three weeks in June followed by late May. I love the longer daylight hours and spend my time out on deck at twlight watching the scenery go by. It tends to be drier but I do miss a lot of the later season wildlife and salmon runs.

Have you looked at the Southbound Princess routes? They visit both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. The Northbound ones get College Fjord and Glacier Bay and a long enough port time in Juneau for the all day trip to Tracy Arm.

After BQ I've probably done more than almost anyone else, with over 20+. My favorite time is first three weeks in June followed by late May. I love the longer daylight hours and spend my time out on deck at twlight watching the scenery go by. It tends to be drier but I do miss a lot of the later season wildlife and salmon runs.

Have you looked at the Southbound Princess routes? They visit both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. The Northbound ones get College Fjord and Glacier Bay and a long enough port time in Juneau for the all day trip to Tracy Arm.

Doug, Yes I did look at the Princess southbounds, but It looks to me they are on smaller ships, and with my son, and the wheelchair issue I'm concerned it won't be a good fit for us. Am I missing anything? Do you think with the 2015 schedule it would change? Thank you so much for your help, it is so hard to figure out all the dynamics with Alaska. LOL

Doug, Yes I did look at the Princess southbounds, but It looks to me they are on smaller ships, and with my son, and the wheelchair issue I'm concerned it won't be a good fit for us. Am I missing anything? Do you think with the 2015 schedule it would change? Thank you so much for your help, it is so hard to figure out all the dynamics with Alaska. LOL

OK Doug, I just went back and looked at the Princess Southbound, and that one is on the bigger ships, I guess I wasn't sure when I looked about Whittier. I had heard everyone talk about Seward. Can you tell me the difference between the two? Also the small boats that go into Tracy Arm, do you happen to know if they are Wheelchair accessible? Thanks again

The only small ships Princess has are the Pacific and the Ocean. Other that that they are all quite larger, between 2000-2600 passengers. They may only be considered small compared to some of the RCL and Carnival giants.

One thing I would look at is if the ships have a full promenade deck. This is a great spot to watch the scenery from a wheelchair as it is usually less crowded and protected from the weather. Unless loads of entertainment are a big priority the smaller ships might actually be easier to get around in the wheelchair as everyting is much shorter distance.

I think the aft elevators (at least on Princess) are less busy than the others and would suggest maybe looking at cabins near them if given a choice.

Note that getting close to Hubbard Glacier in May and early June can be iffy. When I did it in early June one year, we only got 8 (!) miles from Hubbard Glacier, no closer. Quite disappointing.

So I would take a cruise that includes Glacier Bay and let Hubbard be an extra bonus if it also includes that.

Seward and Whittier are different but both offer small boat tours that are nice. Seward has far more to do in the area with Exit glacier etc, Whittier is really not even a town but is closer to Anchorage and the airport.

I've only done Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound and wouldn't really call it wheelchair friendly. I don't think the bathroom would be and with an all day tour that is important. Princess doesn't offer the Tracy Arm small boat tour (at least I've never seen it) that others do but expect that one probably is handicap accessible and with a shorter tour time might work out for you.

Alaska is all about making choices everywhere as there are so many things to see/do. It hard to choose the first time and can be overwhelming. Being with the wheelchair you might be better off with the main choices in each port. I'd suggest whale watching in Juneau with the cruise line or Orca Enterprises (I'm sure they can accomodate the wheelchair) and then Mendehalll for some Glacier viwing. In Skagway the longer train trips or the drive into the Yukon are both great. In Ketchican I like the Flightseeing to Misty Fjoords but that is probably not an option for you. Maybe just a tour around town to Creek Streek or the Duck tour if it is accessible.

Any Princess ship is just fine for wheel chairs. I think you are misguided here. None of the Princess or any other mega line, is a "small ships". All are accessible. An issue however is dock 4 in Ketchikan, which is a grueling up hill exit. So you may want to avoid a ship that docks there (there is no help as it is past the gangways). How do I know? My husband has been a wheel chair user for a few years.

As for Adventure Bound, nope not a good idea with a wheel chair, unless they have recently changed their boat.

I started research for 2015 as well for around 11-12 days around July 4th weekend. I am planning for large group and at this time we all seem to prefer NCL Sun for couple of reasons.

1. We all sailed RCL, Carnival, and NCL and preferred NCL for their freestyle and more young feel in their ships.

2. Northbound covers all important ports and glaciers we want to see.

3. Costs less compared to other cruises that go to Glacier Bay (Only Princess, HAL, and NCL go to Glacier Bay).

4. Has a nice Observatory Lounge to enjoy the scenic cruise even when weather is bad.

Pre-cruise gives us almost 4 days in Seattle/Vancouver area as we can fly their by Thursday night and Sun departs on Monday's. Almost everyone in the group want to spend more land time here. Post-cruise preferences vary a lot. Most want to spend 1-2 nights in Alaska. Some of us an extra day to do a quick trip to Denali National Park.

Edited by kitsVA

Thanks! You all have given more to think about. I guess I'm finding that there is no right or wrong way to do this. The problem is I want to do EVERYTHING!! LOL

Doug... Many of you port ideas sound good. Thanks

Budget Queen...Thanks I am just getting a lot of mixed reviews about how accessible Princess is. Have heard terrible things about tendering, and accessibility to areas on the ship. Doorways, balconies ect.This concerns me a bit, as accessibility issues have ruiened many a trip for us, but we have never had a problem with RCCL, or Celebrity. So just not sure about Princess yet.

Kits VA...Thanks! In looking at NCL it looked like their balconies we're not clear glass, That is important to us. Am I mistaken?

I want to say thank you to everyone who responded to my post. You helped a great deal, and I really appreciate your time.

We decided on the Southbound One way from Seward to Vancouver on Radiance Booked June 5TH, but thinking of changing to May 22nd as it is $800.00 cheaper. I did the research and then let my DS and DH decide. I don't think you can go wrong with Alaska, and I'm sure we will love it and go back to see what we missed one day.