Best way to get to Butchart Gardens

We'll be in Victoria from 1PM to 11PM on April 28,2016. There may be a Cruise critic group wanting to tour the gardens. I read on another thread that it'd be a $50 cab ride ea way. What would be the best way or least expensive way to get there for a group of 10-20 people.

I have looked for ship tours, but so far none are listed for Victoria. Maybe it's too early.

We've been to Victoria one other time & thoroughly enjoyed the Gardens as well as the harbor area.

It is just too early for the cruise lines to have pricing all figured out. Every cruise ship has tours to the Butchart Gardens. Keep in mind that at that time of the year the Gardens will be closing about 5 or 6 pm. For that many people, I would contact one of the tour companies and ask for a quote. CVC Tours has new mini units that seat about 20-24. Wilson's also has similar units, but they are older. Both these operators also have "group" admission prices available, while few others, if any, have those kind of volume discounts available.

Thank you both, I guess I didn't realize they would close that early in April. Even being able to stay an hour or so later, may make it a tight squeeze time wise. I read on another thread that it can take longer in Victoria for the all clear from customs. Plus the congestion at the port area may make this even more difficult. I don't think I'd like rushing through the gardens.

But thank you both, I'll check out those tour operators mentioned if we decide to go ahead.

It used to be that the Gardens did stay open later on evenings that cruise ships were in port, however you would have to check with them for your date in April.

Yes, it is to early to see the ship's tours, they often don't show up until about 90 days out. I think one of the posters was referring to CVS Cruise Victoria who operate tours out to the Gardens however, currently they are not permitted to pick up cruise ship passengers at the cruise terminal so using them will entail taking the shuttle from the terminal to in front of the Empress Hotel and then picking up the CVS tour.

The least expensive way to go out to the Gardens is by transit bus and you have lots of time to do that with your hours in Victoria. Just exit the cruise terminal and catch either a #30 or #31 bus to the Royal Oak Exchange and then transfer to a #75 bus which will let you out within a 5 minute walk of the Gardens....just reverse the sequence to return to the ship. The cash fare is $2.50 each, CDN funds only and the drivers do not carry change. Incidentally, you will find the drivers extremely helpful, just tell them what you are up to and they will help you....be sure and ask for a transfer slip.

http://bctransit.com/victoria/schedules-and-maps

It used to be that the Gardens did stay open later on evenings that cruise ships were in port, however you would have to check with them for your date in April.

Yes, it is to early to see the ship's tours, they often don't show up until about 90 days out. I think one of the posters was referring to CVS Cruise Victoria who operate tours out to the Gardens however, currently they are not permitted to pick up cruise ship passengers at the cruise terminal so using them will entail taking the shuttle from the terminal to in front of the Empress Hotel and then picking up the CVS tour.

The least expensive way to go out to the Gardens is by transit bus and you have lots of time to do that with your hours in Victoria. Just exit the cruise terminal and catch either a #30 or #31 bus to the Royal Oak Exchange and then transfer to a #75 bus which will let you out within a 5 minute walk of the Gardens....just reverse the sequence to return to the ship. The cash fare is $2.50 each, CDN funds only and the drivers do not carry change. Incidentally, you will find the drivers extremely helpful, just tell them what you are up to and they will help you....be sure and ask for a transfer slip.

http://bctransit.com/victoria/schedules-and-maps

Thank you for this advice. We will wait & see what the ship offers for tours, I'm hoping they will post something sooner than 90 days out. But thx for the instructions on getting there.