Port to YSR travel time?

YSR is the airport code for the Nanisivik airport in the Nunuvat Territory of Northern Canada.

I'll presume you are wondering about time to get from port of Vancouver to the Vancouver airport. It is about a 45 minute drive, but it is best to not book a flight before noon. The entire ship goes through Canadian immigration at the port; then you will have to go through US immigration at the airport; plus checking in and security.

• 4 weeks later...
How long does it take to get from the port to the airport?

Just returned from a round trip cruise out of Vancouver..took approx 45 min both ways using taxi from and to YVR/Canada Place.

Allow extra time for YVR flight departure...one of the slowest we've done in a long time. Couldn't believe on our departure using Alaska Air...check in with gate agent (already had boarding passes)...no scale they had to walk behind their kiosk with you to weigh luggage then put luggage tags on then you had to take your luggage and stand in another long line have your boarding pass scanned again then it was loaded onto a ramp.

Sorry but use to carriers that each agent has their own scale right next to check in..luggage tags put on and your luggage is then put onto ramp right there.

Perhaps this is usual for YVR (Alaska Air) but surprised us..have always just flown into YVR never out of it. And never had this happen with Alaska Air out of ANC.

So allow extra time..so glad we allowed 3 hours rather than the usual 2.

Edited by Ashland

Just returned from a round trip cruise out of Vancouver..took approx 45 min both ways using taxi from and to YVR/Canada Place.

Allow extra time for YVR flight departure...one of the slowest we've done in a long time. Couldn't believe on our departure using Alaska Air...check in with gate agent (already had boarding passes)...no scale they had to walk behind their kiosk with you to weigh luggage then put luggage tags on then you had to take your luggage and stand in another long line have your boarding pass scanned again then it was loaded onto a ramp.

Sorry but use to carriers that each agent has their own scale right next to check in..luggage tags put on and your luggage is then put onto ramp right there.

Perhaps this is usual for YVR (Alaska Air) but surprised us..have always just flown into YVR never out of it. And never had this happen with Alaska Air out of ANC.

Good to get up-to-date info on timing - queues to get in cabs and then into Canada Place especially can add several minutes to the theoretical 30min drive.

As to the luggage, while it sounds odd that you had to go behind the desk to weight it the basic process is identical in ALL major Canadian airports with checked bags - verify weight with your airline, then schlep them to the CBP drop point. The conveyors behind the check-in desks don't go to the US-bound area, I assume so CBP have total control over the security side of things, but we usually pop bags on the regular mini-belt by the desk for weighing then just take them back off again.

You can feel free to give feedback to your own government who decided many years ago that it was more efficient to station CBP staff outside the country at key airports where a lot of international pax fly in from than to have all US airports staffed-up for international arrivals - this is the reason things are different out of YVR, YYZ etc. when flying to the USA. I'm sure they are correct as to the efficiency, but it does mean a lot of Canada-blaming for delays!

• 1 month later...

I'm glad you reminded me, because we're headed to Vancouver in April. I recall it being similar when we flew out of Vancouver last year on Air Canada. We had to get our passports scanned at a kiosk in order to receive luggage tags. Then we had to walk to another area to have the luggage tags and passports scanned again. Then there was a long walk behind the kiosks where we had to literally lift and heft our own luggage onto a carousel about 15" high. There was only one young fellow manning the carousel, and he stayed seated -- no offer to help. I kept thinking I was glad I was only 70 and didn't need any help. Then we went to a separate room where we went through the x-ray process (and I'm pretty sure we had to scan our passports again). After that we walked into yet another room where we had to scan our passports at a kiosk and have the machine snap our photographs. Finally we took our photographs and passports to a CBP agent, who compared the picture on our passports to those the machine just took.

Do not read this as a criticism of Vancouver. In fact, we thought (except for the hefting-of-the-luggage thing) that maybe the airports in the US should tighten up their procedures. I doubt there are many slip-ups in Vancouver. And that's a very good thing.

We had to get our passports scanned at a kiosk in order to receive luggage tags. Then we had to walk to another area to have the luggage tags and passports scanned again. Then there was a long walk behind the kiosks where we had to literally lift and heft our own luggage onto a carousel about 15" high. There was only one young fellow manning the carousel, and he stayed seated -- no offer to help. I kept thinking I was glad I was only 70 and didn't need any help. Then we went to a separate room where we went through the x-ray process (and I'm pretty sure we had to scan our passports again).

Do not read this as a criticism of Vancouver. In fact, we thought (except for the hefting-of-the-luggage thing) that maybe the airports in the US should tighten up their procedures. I doubt there are many slip-ups in Vancouver. And that's a very good thing.

I don't like the separated luggage/check-in setup either.

• Might be great for frequent travellers with minimal luggage, but for someone who flies every few years. It's confusing if you need assistance at each station. I don't like the passport kiosks... there is never enough assistance. I don't like them when in San Francisco either.
  • Luggage weigh-in is a frequent problem at airports, especially when overweight. Thus I can see why it's separated from check-in.
  • if you want to see some comedy..... just hang around there when the flyer has overweight luggage and is madly repacking to avoid the surcharges. Lesson learned to have a luggage scale to skip the stress.
  • I guess with lower luggage weights (I remember when I could pack 100lbs decades ago), they feel travellers can load their own luggage on the belt.

Edited by xlxo