Carry on liquor/wine??

ajaxup

I'm new to Azamara. Only salied on X and they have a two bottle max carry on policy and I believe it is for wine only. I thought I had read somewhere (I can't find it now) in some a the AZ discussions that AZ has no restriction on either liquor or wine or both. I know there's a corkage fee but did I imagine the no limit posting?:confused:

I'm new to Azamara. Only salied on X and they have a two bottle max carry on policy and I believe it is for wine only. I thought I had read somewhere (I can't find it now) in some a the AZ discussions that AZ has no restriction on either liquor or wine or both. I know there's a corkage fee but did I imagine the no limit posting?:confused:

You did not imagine it; there are posts discussing our lenient policy. You may carry on a reasonable amount.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can pack it in your suitcase, you can bring it on board. The same liquid carry on requirement to board as the airlines, 3oz, but packed, essentially unlimited. There is no charge for in room use, there will be a corkage fee if you bring wine into one of the restaurants, but a very reasonable charge. (I have been known to sneak my scotch with me into the library for an afternoon read; forbidden fruits of sorts) I like my single malt or decent martini on my veranda, so I bring my own, and avoid the wine/booze package fees. Oh, and as a wine snob, I'm happy to report that on 2 separate cruises, the house wines served at lunch/dinner/and in between were quite good. A few duds here and there, but overall, excellent choices, so no worries about having to pack several cases of wine to enjoy proper meals. Will probably pack a few bottles of wine special dinners for our transatlantic in April. Hope this helps.

Edited by Dr H

If you can pack it in your suitcase, you can bring it on board. The same liquid carry on requirement to board as the airlines, 3oz, but packed, essentially unlimited. There is no charge for in room use, there will be a corkage fee if you bring wine into one of the restaurants, but a very reasonable charge. (I have been known to sneak my scotch with me into the library for an afternoon read; forbidden fruits of sorts) I like my single malt or decent martini on my veranda, so I bring my own, and avoid the wine/booze package fees. Oh, and as a wine snob, I'm happy to report that on 2 separate cruises, the house wines served at lunch/dinner/and in between were quite good. A few duds here and there, but overall, excellent choices, so no worries about having to pack several cases of wine to enjoy proper meals. Will probably pack a few bottles of wine special dinners for our transatlantic in April. Hope this helps.

So are you saying we can't carry on a few bottles in our hand luggage when we board? I carried the allowed two bottles on X when I sailed with them and had no problem. They scanned luggage to make sure people weren't sneaking on more than two bottles.

So are you saying we can't carry on a few bottles in our hand luggage when we board? I carried the allowed two bottles on X when I sailed with them and had no problem. They scanned luggage to make sure people weren't sneaking on more than two bottles.

most people are flying to port so a little hard to carry in a carry on bag since the airline does not allowed it on the plane..

if you are buying at the last second bring on a case no one will stop you.

most people are flying to port so a little hard to carry in a carry on bag since the airline does not allowed it on the plane..

if you are buying at the last second bring on a case no one will stop you.

They may not STOP you but I'm sure someone carrying a case of alcohol will raise more than a few eyebrows.

As my predecessor wrote a few years back..."we are not in the cargo business." I thought that was pure Bill.

They may not STOP you but I'm sure someone carrying a case of alcohol will raise more than a few eyebrows.

As my predecessor wrote a few years back..."we are not in the cargo business." I thought that was pure Bill.

Not planning on opening a liquor store onboard. But I wanted to buy four or five bottles of bubbly (which DW likes) in Singapore to enjoy on our balcony at sunset! If AZ offered some sort of bubbly in their complimentary lineup we'd probably just go to a bar for happy hour, but that dead horse has eveidently been beaten enough on the forum.:p

Edited by ajaxup

I wanted to buy four or five bottles of bubbly (which DW likes) in Singapore to enjoy on our balcony at sunset! .:p

That sounds fun, and I am sure you can get your cabin attendent or room service to get ice to chill before serving. Good suggestion!

well, as i said I carry on 4 to 5 bottles so who cares.. if you can drink it no problem.. i never brought wine etc in Singapore so not sure where the store is. .there was none at the harbor Mall and i was there 3 times so i would of found it. ice is easy to get too.

well, as i said I carry on 4 to 5 bottles so who cares.. if you can drink it no problem.. i never brought wine etc in Singapore so not sure where the store is. .there was none at the harbor Mall and i was there 3 times so i would of found it. ice is easy to get too.

We've got four days in SG to find liquor store before we sail.:)

There will be lots of choice of alcohol at Changi Airport which consistently wins awards for being the best airport in the world. It's the only airport where I like spending time.

There are lots of options for buying alcohol in Orchard Rd....some very high end shops selling vintage Champagne, malt whisky etc. You can also order alcohol online in Singapore and they will deliver it to your hotel room.

This post sounds like I'm an alcoholic.....I'm not, but I do enjoy a drink or two on holiday and I have been to Singapore a few times. :)

There will be lots of choice of alcohol at Changi Airport which consistently wins awards for being the best airport in the world. It's the only airport where I like spending time.

There are lots of options for buying alcohol in Orchard Rd....some very high end shops selling vintage Champagne, malt whisky etc. You can also order alcohol online in Singapore and they will deliver it to your hotel room.

This post sounds like I'm an alcoholic.....I'm not, but I do enjoy a drink or two on holiday and I have been to Singapore a few times. :)

I'm with you totally. When I'm on a cruise there's nothing we enjoy more than sitting on our balcony at sunset having a cocktail while listening to some music and the ocean. The way I'd like to "graduate" when my time comes. :rolleyes: Is the liquor where you can buy it on arrival or just departure?

Edited by ajaxup

I'm with you totally. When I'm on a cruise there's nothing we enjoy more than sitting on our balcony at sunset having a cocktail while listening to some music and the ocean. The way I'd like to "graduate" when my time comes. :rolleyes: Is the liquor where you can buy it on arrival or just departure?

On arrival at Changi you can access every store on the concourse (all terminals are conected) before going downstairs to immigration. Remember this is a major hub and there are many transit passengers.:)

Would a bottle of prosecco fit in the minibar? Or are we not allowed to use it for drinks we bring?

No problem getting a bottle of prosecco or Champers in your minibar, just take out enough soda's to make room. Your room attendant/butler will happily provide a bucket of ice for it as well.

Earlier this year we sailed from Dubai. As we too like to enjoy a glass of wine or two on our balcony we purchased 8 or 9 bottles of wine at Heathrow to take on board.

When we went to the cruise check-in the security guy in the terminal noticed the wine in our hand baggage (hard not to) and told us we couldn't take it on board. We had a brief discussion with him about Azamara's policy re alcohol and he sent us to the 'naughty step' whilst he got an officer from the ship to come to talk to us. Said officer arrived within 5 minutes took one look at our stash and just waved us through. He said that the staff at the terminal were more used to dealing with other lines where the limits are strictly enforced.

We laughed about it at the time and afterwards, although my wife was a bit embarassed - not because we were made to sit away from everyone else whilst we waited, but because of the clinking of all the bottles as we walked there. Didn't stop her assisting in emptying them once we were on board though!

Earlier this year we sailed from Dubai. As we too like to enjoy a glass of wine or two on our balcony we purchased 8 or 9 bottles of wine at Heathrow to take on board.

When we went to the cruise check-in the security guy in the terminal noticed the wine in our hand baggage (hard not to) and told us we couldn't take it on board. We had a brief discussion with him about Azamara's policy re alcohol and he sent us to the 'naughty step' whilst he got an officer from the ship to come to talk to us. Said officer arrived within 5 minutes took one look at our stash and just waved us through. He said that the staff at the terminal were more used to dealing with other lines where the limits are strictly enforced.

We laughed about it at the time and afterwards, although my wife was a bit embarassed - not because we were made to sit away from everyone else whilst we waited, but because of the clinking of all the bottles as we walked there. Didn't stop her assisting in emptying them once we were on board though!

I think you just painted a picture of our upcoming embarkation in Singapore.:eek:

• 3 months later...

So, has anyone brought alcohol on board in Singapore? We're on an Azamara cruise Nov 2016 with embarkation in Singapore and someone in the Asia forum recently pointed out this sign from someone's RCI cruise at the Singapore dock saying NO ALCOHOL (can't read the sign but it's RCI/Celebrity/Azamara based on the logos at the bottom)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showpost.php?p=48261804&postcount=117

8c30237f-be1a-4319-90f3-f24c3487a91e_zpshxdehu5w.jpg

(we are planning to follow the quite strict Singapore restrictions on what can be brought into the country without paying duty - but given the current alcohol list on Azamara, we'd like to bring a bottle of nicer bourbon to have a drink on our balcony....and maybe a bottle of wine for the cabin as well) So no "cargo" - but if our bottle of bourbon would be confiscated by authorities at the dock, I won't bother. I won't be happy, but I don't want to get in trouble in Singapore! :eek:

Edited by Hoyaheel

We took some onboard in December.....it was packed in our suitcases though. We had no problems and didn't see any signs either.

Azamara are ok about taking drink onboard....I suppose you just need to be sensible with the amount!

Good luck...I would do it again.

Note that I am not worried about Azamara's policy - I am worried about SINGAPORE'S policy, per the sign I posted that is from a November 2015 trip report (which I linked).

We took some onboard in December
Jollyjoyce - you embarked in Singapore? Edited by Hoyaheel

Note that I am not worried about Azamara's policy - I am worried about SINGAPORE'S policy, per the sign I posted that is from a November 2015 trip report (which I linked).

That sign has a Royal Caribbean Cruise Line logo on it. It's RCCL's policy, not Azamara's.