Azamara Charges $50 Per Person to Cancel

I_r_a

There may be some (sideways) history here. There was a group of passengers who took advantage of Oceania's "no discount" policy [which required O to offer upgrades to clear out categories for new bookings] -- they made multiple bookings for inside cabins until they had booked them all up -- then they waited for the "upgrade fairy" to offer a free deal on a better cabin -- if they got it, they took the one and cancelled all the others; if not they cancelled them all. Oceania finally figured this out and banned them for life, but it may have been a wake-up call to other small-ship lines that a token cancellation fee would prevent similar scams.

There may be some (sideways) history here. There was a group of passengers who took advantage of Oceania's "no discount" policy [which required O to offer upgrades to clear out categories for new bookings] -- they made multiple bookings for inside cabins until they had booked them all up -- then they waited for the "upgrade fairy" to offer a free deal on a better cabin -- if they got it, they took the one and cancelled all the others; if not they cancelled them all. Oceania finally figured this out and banned them for life, but it may have been a wake-up call to other small-ship lines that a token cancellation fee would prevent similar scams.

Omg...someone actually did that? Crazy!!

In the UK its £250 deposit (US$350) PP - No chance of us being able to multiple book. :eek: That amount would probably deter others from holding the best cabins, although I do believe it can be transferred once to another cruise.

Adrian

Hi Host Jazzbeau,

I remember that Oceania story, and that could very well be why Azamara charges a nominal cancellation fee. FWIW, I do not believe it's a big deal, but I can understand why some may be less than pleased with the fee. It makes sense though, especially if it's because of what you mentioned above. They need to ensure that folks do not game the system, and that bookings are bona fide.

Edited by Host Andy

In the UK its £250 deposit (US$350) PP - No chance of us being able to multiple book. :eek: That amount would probably deter others from holding the best cabins, although I do believe it can be transferred once to another cruise.

Adrian

Agree, here we have to pay 10% of the total cost of the cruise no matter when(if) we have to cancel. It means that we can't hold cabins and wait whats coming up (lower prices, extra perks or whatever...).

Fortunately, my TA was able to convince them to forego the charge since the cruise was more than 2 years away.

They've been charging this for a long time. Disappointing to read they waived it for you; now I'll feel inclined to have the debate each time they charge me. I wish policies would simply be consistently applied to everyone. Nowhere does it say "we charge you $25 per person unless it's more than 2 years out".

I booked once onboard, and the cancelation fee was explained to me by the Future Cruise Consultant (or whatever the name of the position is on Azamara). I did have to cancel, and I paid the fee ($25 at the time).

I recently canceled a booking and rebooked (to take advantage of the Black Friday sale), and the fee (still $25) was more than offset by the savings I received for rebooking.

Of course, YMMV.

I do agree that policies should be enforced uniformly.

Hi Everyone,

Just as an FYI... For US guests, for 2017 and beyond sailings, it appears the cancellation charge is $50.00 per person (up from $25 per person). In addition, the cancellation charge for 120-91 days is 25% of the booked fare (up from 15%). The rest of the cancellation policy appears to remain the same.

Details can be found here : https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/payment-cancellation

Hope this is helpful !

• 1 month later...
Hi Everyone,

Just as an FYI... For US guests, for 2017 and beyond sailings, it appears the cancellation charge is $50.00 per person (up from $25 per person). In addition, the cancellation charge for 120-91 days is 25% of the booked fare (up from 15%). The rest of the cancellation policy appears to remain the same.

Details can be found here : https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/payment-cancellation

Hope this is helpful !

Unfortunately when I click on this link it takes me to the UK site....please can someone advise the cancellation fees for a April 2017 cruise that was booked via the USA in April 2015?. I'm not sure if the booking date effects the cancellation T&Cs.

TIA.

Edited by little britain

With an American flag in the upper right corner of the page:

2016 Cancellation Policy

This policy applies to all voyages beginning on or after January 2016.

Days Prior to Departure Cancellation Charge

121+ days US $25 per person

120-91 days 15% of booked fare

90-61 days 50% of booked fare

60-31 days 75% of booked fare

30 days or less 100% of booked fare

2017 Cancellation Policy

This policy applies to all voyages beginning on or after January 2017.

Days Prior to Departure Cancellation Charge

121+ days US $50 per person

120-91 days 25% of booked fare

90-61 days 50% of booked fare

60-31 days 75% of booked fare

30 days or less 100% of booked fare

Edited by marinaro44
Spacing lost

Can no one tell me what it says on the USA site please?

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Try this to access US websites. For example if you want to access Google.com as against Google.co.uk type into your URL bar Google.com/ncr

The same applies to AZ. Azamaraclubcruises.com/ncr will take you to the US site with the US flag in the top right hand corner.