Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old February 26th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Another Next Cruise Certificate Question

I know you must call RCI to book using your Next Cruise Certificate. Can you go on line, do a courtesy hold on a particular cabin, then call RCI and have them finalize the held booking using the certificate?

RCCL Song of America - Bermuda, 1996; RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - Eastern, 1998; RCCL Empress of the Seas - Bermuda, 2001; RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Alaska Hubbard, 2004; RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Eastern, 2005; RCCL Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera, 2007; RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern, 2008; RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal/Carib., 2009; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda/Carib., 2010; RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Canada/New Eng., 2011; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Hurricane Sandy cruise to Bermuda, 2012; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bahamas, 2013; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda, 2013

Old February 26th, 2013, 07:38 AM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkerbink View Post
I know you must call RCI to book using your Next Cruise Certificate. Can you go on line, do a courtesy hold on a particular cabin, then call RCI and have them finalize the held booking using the certificate?
You might have luck doing this, but remember that the NC is a booking. They would have to release the stateroom from the hold and then assign it to your NC. They can probably do that part OK, but if the price has changed while the stateroom has been on hold, they might not give you the same price.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Old February 26th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I've done exactly that. As Bob mentions, though, the price wouldn't be locked down from the courtesy hold to the NextCruise booking, but at least you could save the cabin you want.

Previous Cruises

Celebrity Century, 10/98; Viking Serenade, 1/00; Grand Princess, 8/01; Carnival Elation, 7/02; Carnival Elation, 7/03; Liberty of the Seas, 8/07; Adventure of the Seas, 8/08; Oasis of the Seas, 8/10; Majesty of the Seas, 1/11; Allure of the Seas, 8/11; Freedom of the Seas, 3/12; Majesty of the Seas, 7/12; Freedom of the Seas, 10/12; Monarch of the Seas, 10/12; Independence of the Seas, 3/13; Allure of the Seas, 8/13; Independence of the Seas, 3/14

Old February 26th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

That's the only way we've ever done it. However, we always call C&A as soon as we make the hold, so only a few minutes elapse between holding the cabin and switching the booking to an NCC, so we've never had a pricing problem.

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, everyone, for your kind replies. I was thinking about putting on a hold and then immediately calling RCI. I want to book an Alaska cruise for 2014 and I know cabins sell out quickly....that's why I was thinking about putting on a hold and then immediately calling to book that held cabin.

RCCL Song of America - Bermuda, 1996; RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - Eastern, 1998; RCCL Empress of the Seas - Bermuda, 2001; RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Alaska Hubbard, 2004; RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Eastern, 2005; RCCL Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera, 2007; RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern, 2008; RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal/Carib., 2009; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda/Carib., 2010; RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Canada/New Eng., 2011; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Hurricane Sandy cruise to Bermuda, 2012; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bahamas, 2013; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda, 2013

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for your kind replies. I was thinking about putting on a hold and then immediately calling RCI. I want to book an Alaska cruise for 2014 and I know cabins sell out quickly....that's why I was thinking about putting on a hold and then immediately calling to book that held cabin.
Why not go ahead and just book?

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiagolfer View Post

Two reasons that I can think of:
1) The dates are not open yet, and
2) an NCC gives you a reduced deposit ($100/pp) and OBC whereas a straight booking pays full deposit and gets no OBC.

Old February 26th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiagolfer View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that you must book directly with an RCI rep in order to used an NCC. If that's not true, it would certainly simplify things for me!

Old February 26th, 2013, 11:15 AM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that you must book directly with an RCI rep in order to used an NCC. If that's not true, it would certainly simplify things for me!
Next Cruise certificates are bookings, and can be assigned to a travel agent. If you have an NC that has not been assigned to a travel agent, then you must call RCI to assign it to a cruise. If the NC is assigned to a travel agent, then you must call the travel agent to assign a cruise to the NC.

You also have the option of transferring the NC booking to a travel agent. You would have 60 days after first assigning a cruise to the NC to transfer the booking.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Last edited by clarea; February 26th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Old February 26th, 2013, 11:16 AM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
No, you can transfer your NC to your TA if you want and you can do that either before you convert it or after. If you do it after then you have 60 days from the date of conversion to transfer. Here is the form to transfer to your TA.

Pinnacle Club

"Successful People Keep Moving On. They Make Mistakes, But They Don't Quit!"
Conrad Hilton

Last edited by cruisenfever; February 26th, 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Old February 26th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

What is the procedure for using the Friends and Family option?

We booked a December 2013 cruise on a Next Cruise certificate and gave our NC booking number to our friends. They called their TA and booked the same cruise and gave the TA the number. The TA told them they had to mail the "original certificate" to RCCL. The certificates that we were given when we did our onboard Next Cruise purchase were black and white copies. So how can anyone mail in an original? Our friends mailed in the copy a few weeks ago and have not heard back from RCCL. Shouldn't they get some kind of confirmation?
Memories: Liberty OTS 2/14, Independence OTS Eastern Cariibbean 12/13, Enchantment OTS 11/13, Freedom OTS Western Caribbean 9/13, Enchantment OTS Bahamas 4/13, Monarch OTS Bahamas 8/12, Monarch OTS Bahamas 4/12, Millennium W. Caribbean 10/11, Sensation Bahamas, 9/11, Radiance OTS W Caribbean 2/11, Constellation S Caribbean 11/10, Solstice E Caribbean 10/10, Century Caribbean 4/10; Solstice Caribbean 1/10, Century B2B 12/09; Century Caribbean B2B 4/09, Constellation S Caribbean 12/08; Century W Caribbean 1/08;
Constellation TransAtlantic 9/07; Radiance OTS Pacific Coastal 9/06; Radiance OTS W. Caribbean 3/06; Summit Alaska 9/02; Zenith Caribbean New Years Eve 01

Old February 26th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I'm sorry...I neglected to say that I will NOT be using a travel agent. That's why I will be calling RCI directly. But it's good to know the procedure for those who choose to use one.

Old February 26th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

What a great idea. I will do the same!
I need to book two reservations, each with a Next Cruise Certificate. One resrevation is for my partner & I, and the other for the in-laws. We want to try and get the cabins close to each other.

Sailed on the Allure of the Seas February 16-23, 2014
Sailed on the Oasis of the Seas February 4-11, 2012

Sailed on the Freedom of the Seas February 6-13, 2011
Sailed on the Independence of the Seas December 12-20, 2009

Sailed on the S.S. Minnow

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:44 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbw View Post
What is the procedure for using the Friends and Family option?

We booked a December 2013 cruise on a Next Cruise certificate and gave our NC booking number to our friends. They called their TA and booked the same cruise and gave the TA the number. The TA told them they had to mail the "original certificate" to RCCL. The certificates that we were given when we did our onboard Next Cruise purchase were black and white copies. So how can anyone mail in an original? Our friends mailed in the copy a few weeks ago and have not heard back from RCCL. Shouldn't they get some kind of confirmation?
Have your friends call C&A at 1-800-526-9723 and give the rep the booking number. As long as your friends booked the same cruise as you did within the 30 day window of when you booked, there should be no problem.

Pinnacle Club

"Successful People Keep Moving On. They Make Mistakes, But They Don't Quit!"
Conrad Hilton

Last edited by cruisenfever; February 26th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.