Aussie Dollar Up Over 92 Cents Now??!! Why?

TLCOhio

Appreciate past posts and follow-ups on these various Cruise Critic threads. Just letting you know that we have not forgotten wonderful Australia and New Zealand. In checking the Wall Street Journal this morning, the Aussie dollar is up, UP to $0.9230. Big jump up from what we enjoyed at around 88-89 cents when there in January. From the Sidney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia this morning, they have this headline: "Australian dollar hits new 2014 high ahead of Glenn Stevens speech" with these highlights: "Australia's dollar has hit a fresh 2014 high on growing speculation that China will turbo-charge its slowing economy. The Aussie was the best performing currency in overnight Tuesday in overseas trade. The local unit continued rise came despite international media talking it down, saying the Aussie was expensive considering there will be less demand for resources as China's growth eases. But traders are hopeful Beijing will accelerate stimulus measures to stabilise its economy. Last week Chinese authorities approved five railway projects worth 142 billion yuan ($A25.03 billion). Credit Suisse China economist Dong Tao expected it to be the beginning of a minor stimulus and expected more projects involving city tracks, anti-pollution and clean energy to be announced. The Aussie is fetching about US91.65¢ and some traders are expecting it to rise to as high as US95¢."

During our great "adventure", I got lots of great visuals from Sydney, Tasmania, Kangaroo Island, the Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest areas, etc. Many are shared below on my live/blog from this trip.

THANKS for all of the help and insights from people on these CC Boards! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 45,935 views for this fun posting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Terry, i often wonder where you got to on the other thread!

It used to be even at one stage, but then I remember it being as low as 1/2 as wll.

I reckon new liberal gov :( and their make money over any other consideration may be impacting on the rise.

I grew up in Tassie. Hope you enjoyed it!:)

I reckon new liberal gov :( and their make money over any other consideration may be impacting on the rise.

I'm not sure they would want to take the credit... since it's not good for local businesses selling things.

But realistically, it was at its peak of 1.10 when the previous Labor government was in, and then only fell as it looked more likely they would leave. And it's only gone back up the past few weeks, but been down for most of the time this government is in power.

It is certainly now above the preferred level of the Reserve Bank. But I am not sure how they would act to manipulate it, especially as it depends so much on off-shore factors beyond the control of the government.

i am thinking of stocking up on some US dollars for future use!

Hey Terry, i often wonder where you got to on the other thread! It used to be even at one stage, but then I remember it being as low as 1/2 as wll. I reckon new liberal gov :( and their make money over any other consideration may be impacting on the rise. I grew up in Tassie. Hope you enjoyed it!:)

Don't worry, Cruise_me_Crazy. I'm still around. BUT, busy with work projects, visiting our two cute grandsons in Charlottesville, Va., right now. They are ages 42 and 20 months. Growing up fast and fun!

YES, we totally enjoyed Tasmania, not Tasman Sea. Rough crossing. Loved so much in Australia, including Cairns/Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide, super Sydney, etc. Then, there is great and exciting New Zealand, too!!!

On my full blog are lots of pictures from Port Arthur, Wildlife Park, etc. Plus, the whole rest of the trip in both countries, plus Hawaii, etc.

This morning's Wall Street Journal has the Aussie dollar at: $0.9292. Nearly 93 cents. I still have 155ASD in my wallet now. Going up in value!! Good investment to keep and watch grow.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 50,073 views for this fun posting.

Don't worry, Cruise_me_Crazy. I'm still around. BUT, busy with work projects, visiting our two cute grandsons in Charlottesville, Va., right now. They are ages 42 and 20 months. Growing up fast and fun!

YES, we totally enjoyed Tasmania, not Tasman Sea. Rough crossing. Loved so much in Australia, including Cairns/Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide, super Sydney, etc. Then, there is great and exciting New Zealand, too!!!

On my full blog are lots of pictures from Port Arthur, Wildlife Park, etc. Plus, the whole rest of the trip in both countries, plus Hawaii, etc.

This morning's Wall Street Journal has the Aussie dollar at: $0.9292. Nearly 93 cents. I still have 155ASD in my wallet now. Going up in value!! Good investment to keep and watch grow.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 50,073 views for this fun posting.

Ha ha ha :D love your outlook on life! I am glad to see yo are still about. I will get to your blog one day! I keep hearing how well regarded it is. :)

I'm not sure they would want to take the credit... since it's not good for local businesses selling things.

But realistically, it was at its peak of 1.10 when the previous Labor government was in, and then only fell as it looked more likely they would leave. And it's only gone back up the past few weeks, but been down for most of the time this government is in power.

Hmmmm you could be right there Big M! Who would know with this mob? ;)

Currently the dollar has risen to over 94cents, apparently following the release today of surprisingly good employment figures. The media give a lot of publicity to job losses concerning large corporations and give little publicity to employment created by small businesses. A lot of the increase in employment was in part-time positions but I have to say that many women here actually choose and prefer working part-time so this is not necessarily negative.

Not sure whether to buy my US dollars yet!!

Currently the dollar has risen to over 94cents, .....Not sure whether to buy my US dollars yet!!

Yes its a difficult decision. I was worried into buying $1000 afew weeks ago when it was on the slide, but I would have done better to wait until now... who knows where it will top out??

Of course we should all have been buying NZ$s..... it is getting close to parity, when it wasn't too long ago it was like 75c.

Happy cruising

Not sure whether to buy my US dollars yet!!

I've been thinking a recovery to 0.95 has been on the cards for some time. Unfortunately the AUD got oversold at the beginning of this year.

The rise in the NZD has been a bit of a surprise. Got some for 1.0402 a couple of days back... fortunately I didn't need many!

Appreciate past posts and follow-ups on these various Cruise Critic threads. Just letting you know that we have not forgotten wonderful Australia and New Zealand. In checking the Wall Street Journal this morning, the Aussie dollar is up, UP to $0.9230. Big jump up from what we enjoyed at around 88-89 cents when there in January. From the Sidney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia this morning, they have this headline: "Australian dollar hits new 2014 high ahead of Glenn Stevens speech" with these highlights: "Australia's dollar has hit a fresh 2014 high on growing speculation that China will turbo-charge its slowing economy. The Aussie was the best performing currency in overnight Tuesday in overseas trade. The local unit continued rise came despite international media talking it down, saying the Aussie was expensive considering there will be less demand for resources as China's growth eases. But traders are hopeful Beijing will accelerate stimulus measures to stabilise its economy. Last week Chinese authorities approved five railway projects worth 142 billion yuan ($A25.03 billion). Credit Suisse China economist Dong Tao expected it to be the beginning of a minor stimulus and expected more projects involving city tracks, anti-pollution and clean energy to be announced. The Aussie is fetching about US91.65¢ and some traders are expecting it to rise to as high as US95¢."

During our great "adventure", I got lots of great visuals from Sydney, Tasmania, Kangaroo Island, the Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest areas, etc. Many are shared below on my live/blog from this trip.

THANKS for all of the help and insights from people on these CC Boards! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 45,935 views for this fun posting.

When we were in Australia last Feb and March the Aussie Dollar was slightly above the US Dollar.