NCL should consider this

SAILPRO

I think this is a brilliant statement! This is what I've been saying for a long time. If there are two people in the same cabin, and only one drinks or drinks very little----what difference does it make really? a 15 drink maximum IS still a 15-drink maximum per day. Who knows, maybe this policy will change someday.

It is my understanding that punch cards and similar have been used in the past by many cruise lines, so this would be a step backward (and I am sure there is a reason that they are no longer offered).

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I drink, but, we do not believe we could consume that much alcohol to make it worth the price, especially on days that we are at port. When at port, you only drink on the ship in the evenings, how can you consume that much in a night to make it worth while? I think they need to do some changes and maybe not charge as much per day when at port or something else. We did the calculations and not worth the price in our opinion.

I think they need to do some changes and maybe not charge as much per day when at port or something else. We did the calculations and not worth the price in our opinion.
If you have determined that the package is not worth it for you, then you simply need to avoid purchasing it. It does not mean that they need to make changes to make it more attractive for you.

I think they should offer it to single person in cabins also.

And to those that think NCL is making more money I doubt it. Here is why.

I drink and the package would be a break even or close enough for me. My DW drinks but nowhere near an amount to buy the package. So neither of us will buy it and I will spend less on drinks than if I bought the package. I would gather there are plenty of people like us.

I think they should offer it to single person in cabins also.

And to those that think NCL is making more money I doubt it. Here is why.

I drink and the package would be a break even or close enough for me. My DW drinks but nowhere near an amount to buy the package. So neither of us will buy it and I will spend less on drinks than if I bought the package. I would gather there are plenty of people like us.

And of course they still make a ton of money!! Per drink profits are very high. The financial folks at NCL have come up with a program that is good for NCL. For years there were regular posts on here about begging NCL to come up with an all inclusive alcohol package. They have, it is what is best for NCL. There are also many on here that think it is great for them too. As has been said, you can't cherry pick the choice, if it's good for you, take it, if no, don't bother. For many it is a great package!! NCL did not create this package to make it great for you, they made it to make a profit for NCL and satisfy many customers at the same time. From the looks of things, it's very popular.

Edited by rvsullivan

I am guessing they will eventually amend the current requirement and sell individual packages (like several cruise lines have done). Currently they are likely selling few due to giving them away in promotions.

The profit margin on drinks has to be astronomical. You can buy liters in St Thomas for $3, so what would it be wholesale? $2? $1? How many drinks can you get from a liter?

Arguably the mix in some drinks costs more than the booze.

And of course they still make a ton of money!! Per drink profits are very high. The financial folks at NCL have come up with a program that is good for NCL. For years there were regular posts on here about begging NCL to come up with an all inclusive alcohol package. They have, it is what is best for NCL. There are also many on here that think it is great for them too. As has been said, you can't cherry pick the choice, if it's good for you, take it, if no, don't bother. For many it is a great package!! NCL did not create this package to make it great for you, they made it to make a profit for NCL and satisfy many customers at the same time. From the looks of things, it's very popular.

But I spend less on drinks when I have to pay per drink. I think about each purchase more. So they do not make as much money with me and I would bet many others since I have read people not buy the package since both do not drink.

All other mainstream lines sell the package individually and they seem to be making out fine.

I am not disputing the package just the way NCL does it.

It maybe good for NCL now but people will go elsewhere over issues like this.

But I spend less on drinks when I have to pay per drink. I think about each purchase more. So they do not make as much money with me and I would bet many others since I have read people not buy the package since both do not drink.

All other mainstream lines sell the package individually and they seem to be making out fine.

I am not disputing the package just the way NCL does it.

It maybe good for NCL now but people will go elsewhere over issues like this.

But they do make some money off you and probably the same amount they would make if they didn't offer the package. The cruise lines that have different rules regarding the drink package also charge higher fares (as a rule) so if anyone left NCL because of this then they would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.