2 Day Cruise to "nowhere" from Norfolk Va

bsjcb2000

Hello All! I've done some searching on these forums as well as on Carnival's website and I must be looking in the wrong places or searching under the wrong descritpions as I am having a hard time finding out details. My Husband, brother,Sister In Law & myself have all recently booked a 2 day cruise to nowhere from Norfolk Va in May 2013 on the Carnival Glory. Our first cruise was this past oct - Royal Caribbean 7 days and our next "major" cruise is May 2014 for 7 days also on Royal Caribbean. We did however want to try out Carnival, expecially since we all live here in Norfolk, Va and they do have various cruises that depart from here. What I'm having a hard time with is getting an ideal of what types of entertainemnt (shows etc) are on the ship for this cruise. The Royal Caribbean website is a lot easier to navigiate for what's available and what to expect. so I feel a little lost..

Anyone who's been on one of these want to give us some tips/mini reviews etc? Obviously, since we live in Norfolk, we don't need to worry about transportation and hotels night before etc etc but any other tips or knowledge you care to share, we will appreciate it! Thank you!

I've never been on a CTN...I don't imagine there is a lot of entertainment on a "booze cruise" like this. I don't know if a 2 day CTN on Carnival will be a fair comparison to a weeklong cruise on RCI. We've sailed both, and find there is much more difference among ships within a mass market cruiseline than there is between the major cruiselines themselves.

We live here too and are going on the 5 day cruise to the Bahamas May 19. I just can't justify the price for 2 nights even living 20 minutes away. By the time you unpack it's time to pack again. I've never done a cruise less than 6 days, normally do 7. 2 just seems like a teaser. Maybe you can add on the 5 day. That would be worth it IMHO.

We have been on many of them when we used to live in Baltimore. The cruise activities are the same as they would be on a longer cruise. You will have the same meals and the shows. When we used to go the price was alot cheaper..one was 99 dollars and all you can drink..great 2 days! I agree I think the price is much to high for these now. Also if you are trying to judge a cruise line a 2 day ctn is not the best to use. Everything is very rushed and the service can not be comparable to a longer cruise. Getting everyone on and off and settled in 2 days is difficult. So just remember to cut some slack for the staff. Cindy

Hello All! I've done some searching on these forums as well as on Carnival's website and I must be looking in the wrong places or searching under the wrong descritpions as I am having a hard time finding out details. My Husband, brother,Sister In Law & myself have all recently booked a 2 day cruise to nowhere from Norfolk Va in May 2013 on the Carnival Glory. Our first cruise was this past oct - Royal Caribbean 7 days and our next "major" cruise is May 2014 for 7 days also on Royal Caribbean. We did however want to try out Carnival, expecially since we all live here in Norfolk, Va and they do have various cruises that depart from here. What I'm having a hard time with is getting an ideal of what types of entertainemnt (shows etc) are on the ship for this cruise. The Royal Caribbean website is a lot easier to navigiate for what's available and what to expect. so I feel a little lost..

Anyone who's been on one of these want to give us some tips/mini reviews etc? Obviously, since we live in Norfolk, we don't need to worry about transportation and hotels night before etc etc but any other tips or knowledge you care to share, we will appreciate it! Thank you!

We did a 2 day CTN out of NY a little over 10 years ago. There were SO many activities going on,it was hard to pick out what we wanted to do. Elegant night was night two, and everyone looked fine.

ANd as fast as we got on, we were getting off.

This 2 day CTN will not really give you an idea of a longer Carnival cruise in my opinion. I have never done one because they have a reputation of being one long drinking party plus they are very overpriced.

I am a Diamond with Royal Carribbean and I have enjoyed all 5 of my Carnival cruises but they have all been 6 or 7 day cruises.

This 2 day CTN will not really give you an idea of a longer Carnival cruise in my opinion. I have never done one because they have a reputation of being one long drinking party plus they are very overpriced.

Having been on one, I didn't experience this. But yes they are overpriced, but cheaper than two nights in NYC.

Having been on one, I didn't experience this. But yes they are overpriced, but cheaper than two nights in NYC.

Agreed. My husband and I did the CTN from Norfolk in October 2011. We found there were a lot of couples on board looking for a quick getaway from the kids. There was a formal night and entertainment. The ship sailed out into warmer waters and we enjoyed some time on deck. I didn't see any boozing but maybe I didn't hang out in the right places for that.

Thanks for your responses :)

Yes, we know it's a short cruise & no, we don't plan to compare it to our last cruise. Mostly it came about as my husband & I and my brother & his wife were talking about getting away for the weekend just the adults and just the 4 of us. We've been looking into various places to rent/stay at and this cruise ended up being pefect for us... just a weekend thing, we don't have to drive 4 or more hours to get to it (my house is less than 5 min from the port), and for the 4 of us to go, it's cheaper than the 4 of us to rent a house or really nice hotel somewhere, pay to get there, pay to "do" something (like shows or other activities) and our food costs. for us, it seems ideal, however, YMMV.

Having never sailed carnival before, we would (and do) appreciate any tips from "veteran carnival sailors"

Thanks Again!

Agreed. My husband and I did the CTN from Norfolk in October 2011. We found there were a lot of couples on board looking for a quick getaway from the kids. There was a formal night and entertainment. The ship sailed out into warmer waters and we enjoyed some time on deck. I didn't see any boozing but maybe I didn't hang out in the right places for that.

Jen, we're thinking of adding a 2 day out of Norfolk onto our already booked 5 day in October. I have never been on a CTN--you've helped answer my question about if they head to warmer waters. Thank you. That's kind of making me want to do it now. I really am amazed at the prices for the 2 day, though. It's pricier than some 5 days out of Charleston or Jax.

We are taking our first CTN this May and although I keep hearing that the price is high, we spent more than this on a weekend getaway to an inn near Montpelier in Orange, VA. For the price, we get a lodging, food, entertainment and some sun. AND, there's no airfare involved. We're looking forward to it. :)

Hi Policecruiser!

As you already know (from the roll call), My DH and I will be on the same cruise! My CTN in November had a lot to do...shows (musical and comedy), trivia contests, bingo, etc. It did not seem like a "booze cruise" at all, just a shorter version of the full length cruises I have been on. My good friend went on the CTN from Norfolk with her DH last October, and said it was a lot of couples and groups of friends getting away for the weekend, some families as well. She had a fantastic time.

I totally agree with you about the cost not being too bad compared to other weekend getaway options. When you take into account hotel, food, and entertainment, the cost of the cruise is the same as or even better than comparable options.

Hi Policecruiser!

As you already know (from the roll call), My DH and I will be on the same cruise! My CTN in November had a lot to do...shows (musical and comedy), trivia contests, bingo, etc. It did not seem like a "booze cruise" at all, just a shorter version of the full length cruises I have been on. My good friend went on the CTN from Norfolk with her DH last October, and said it was a lot of couples and groups of friends getting away for the weekend, some families as well. She had a fantastic time.

I totally agree with you about the cost not being too bad compared to other weekend getaway options. When you take into account hotel, food, and entertainment, the cost of the cruise is the same as or even better than comparable options.

PoliceCruiser and MooBear......after reading your posts, I decided it was time to try a CTN and booked it yesterday. We are doing the October 2day out of Norfok--plus, it turned into a B2B for us since we were already booked on the following 5day. When you return from your May CTN out of Norfolk, let us know how it was. Have a great time and thanks in advance.

We have been on many of them when we used to live in Baltimore. The cruise activities are the same as they would be on a longer cruise. You will have the same meals and the shows. When we used to go the price was alot cheaper..one was 99 dollars and all you can drink..great 2 days! I agree I think the price is much to high for these now. Also if you are trying to judge a cruise line a 2 day ctn is not the best to use. Everything is very rushed and the service can not be comparable to a longer cruise. Getting everyone on and off and settled in 2 days is difficult. So just remember to cut some slack for the staff. Cindy

I would add to this that you won't typically see the same crowd on a 2 day cruise that you see on longer cruises, so I wouldn't judge Carnival overall based on a 2 day cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

a 2 day cruise to nowhere will be nothing like a regular longer cruise.

I really hope you dont think that a regular carnival cruise will be anything like that,

I have sailed 3 CTN. But for the prices I can go somewhere. Even the cruise to canada out of ny or cheaper per day.

--anyways

your cruise to nowhere-- you will be automatically charged tips with your final payment.

there will be no porters and you have to carry on and off your stuff.

there will be a "formal " night.

there will be two specialty shows.

you will have comedians on each night.

the bars will be hopping.

The cruise to nowhere will sell out. MANY first time cruisers book these cruises just to try it out to see if its for them.

Cruiselines lose a lot of business with theese

We just booked the May 24th CTN last week during the save big sale. I've been wondering about the comedy shows and the shows in the main theater. I wonder if they will do the Hasbro the Game show activities or just the singing and dancing shows. I would actually prefer to see Hasbro over the other shows.

I really enjoyed the cruise to nowhere on the Pride...I was pretty impressed how well it went considering the amount of time they had to plan. While I did notice people drinking, I really didn't notice people partying more than any other cruise we've been on. There was definitely a lot packed into 2 days, but it was fun. To me it wasn't as short as everyone else thinks. :) It felt like a nice relaxing weekend. :D

im pretty sure they will have th hasbro show. maybe done at least once on a weekend trip.

played 4 times during a week cruise.

two teams, a man, a women, a senior citizen and a kid was picked every time.

it was fun to watch, honey gotmpicked and wond a hasbro card game and a 20.00 gift card for the hasbro site.

guys, burgers will be opened til 6pm, deli is'opend til 11 pizza will stay open 24 hours, but will probaby close early on debaraktion morning.

go to the dining room for breakfast for a better relaxing experience on the last morning.

i am going to cananda for 5 days for less then the ctn out of new york in august

http://zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/2012bar/Bar_menu.pdf

there is the bar menu

the shows we had in january was Divas and Motor City

Serene,

When we were on the Glory last November, a couple weeks after dry dock, the shows were Divas, motor city, and Latin nights. Hasbro was not there yet.

Is Latin nights no longer on the ship? We are sailing on the Glory again in a couple weeks and were curious.

Thank you.

Archived