US $ use on QM2 and tipping advise please

tricia1563

As an Australian it is not a custom to pay tips in our country. I have again read lots of advise through forums and don't want to sound stingy, but with the cost I am paying for my balcony cabin, having to tip as well surprises me. I know in the USA waitress's are poorly paid so rely on tips to increase their income. (My sister has lived in the USA for 30years as a part time waitress) Is this the same for QM2 staff? I am going to remove the auto tipping as soon as I board and will tip those staff who I feel truly deserve it. What amount is suggested on the last day? Do you tip the staff if you order room service, again what would staff be expecting?

This comment I am sure will result in some backlash, but please keep in mind that if you live where this is not part of every day life it is difficult to be forth coming.

I also just wondered why $US is used and not £ as the currency, what's the history behind this out of curiosity. I purchased US dollars when it was an excellent exchange rate so shall put this on my account. This saves being charged by my bank a conversion fee if my credit card was used.

As an Australian it is not a custom to pay tips in our country. I have again read lots of advise through forums and don't want to sound stingy, but with the cost I am paying for my balcony cabin, having to tip as well surprises me. I know in the USA waitress's are poorly paid so rely on tips to increase their income. (My sister has lived in the USA for 30years as a part time waitress) Is this the same for QM2 staff? I am going to remove the auto tipping as soon as I board and will tip those staff who I feel truly deserve it. What amount is suggested on the last day? Do you tip the staff if you order room service, again what would staff be expecting?

This comment I am sure will result in some backlash, but please keep in mind that if you live where this is not part of every day life it is difficult to be forth coming.

I also just wondered why $US is used and not £ as the currency, what's the history behind this out of curiosity. I purchased US dollars when it was an excellent exchange rate so shall put this on my account. This saves being charged by my bank a conversion fee if my credit card was used.

You know you can just leave the auto tipping in place and not tip at all on the last day. It is appropriate to do this.

I leave the auto tipping in place and then tip over that for excellent service.

If I order room service I usually give 2 dollars.

The drinks are auto tipping when rung up on the bill. It makes it so you don't have to tip when you get the bill because it is already on the bill.

If you remove the auto tipping then there is the guide on the Cunard site that describe the amounts the auto tipping usually given to the various staff each day from the auto tipping.

I have no idea why the ships all use US dollars but if anyone knows I would like to know also.

A dollar or two per order to the waiter is always appropriate.

As to the staff, yes they are poorly paid and the auto-gratuity is indeed part of their salary.

On my recent voyage on QM2, the cabin steward said something about my half banana. Having the misfortune of either honesty or stupidity, I immediately remarked that I was going to use it for my cereal, but when I realized I did not have any single bills, I did not place an order. His immediate response, with the most genuine demeanor, was that they do not expect it and I should have ordered it anyway. However, it did not change my mind, and I continue to maintain that I would never order room service without a small tip of appreciation. Like Sauer-kraut, I believe a token of $2 is always appropriate.

Jeanne

I know in the USA waitress's are poorly paid so rely on tips to increase their income. (My sister has lived in the USA for 30years as a part time waitress) Is this the same for QM2 staff?
Yes, and even moreso since the crew are paid a fair wage according to their home country, not according to first world standards (this is one of the real reasons Cunard ships are no longer British-flagged).
I am going to remove the auto tipping as soon as I board and will tip those staff who I feel truly deserve it.
This will not have the effect you intend. If you remove the auto-tip the steward and waiters are required to turn in any cash tips received so they can be allocated among all crew members who benefit from the auto-tip.
What amount is suggested on the last day?
$11 per person per day. ;)

Even in the 1970s, when Cunard was still a British company, the on-board currency was $US on most voyages. European cruises were an exception, from my experience, when the £UK was used.

I always maintain that if you can afford to travel in style (which I believe is fair to say of Cunard) then you can afford to leave the auto tip on.

What people don't often realise is the auto tip goes to more than just cabin stewards. People who are not seen by passengers (think laundry people, dish washers in the kitchens, etc) do just as much hard work as the visible members of crew.

I always leave the auto tip and provide a cash tip for crew who I come into contact with regularly and who I feel provided excellent service. I also fill out the commendation cards too - these can be more helpful than cash in some respects (as they can lead to promotions, etc).

I've never had staff expect a tip. If that ever happened I'd probably not tip them extra as a result.

Hi tricia1563,

... I am going to remove the auto tipping as soon as I board ... What amount is suggested on the last day?
If you leave the autotip in place (please) you don't have to ask that question, as it has been answered for you. You need never worry about it again.

All that rushing around with money-stuffed envelopes (which they have to hand in anyway) on the last night ("Have I been generous enough? Too generous?"). Forget all that, relax and enjoy yourself. It is all taken care of.

Only remove the autotip if you feel service from every member of the crew/stewards during the voyage has been terrible.

As others have pointed out, when on board QM2 you are not in Australia. In the UK we also don't have a huge tipping culture (but it is moving that way). However when I'm in the US I accept that tipping for almost everything is expected of me, regardless of my personal habit back home.

Have a great time, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

When I slip the cabin steward the bills...in the cabin, he immediately puts them in his pocket. Does he really have to turn that in??

When you give the bills for cabin service delivery...do they turn that in also??

These rules seem to change. It was said before that when you give extra to your cabin steward, he had to give part to his assistant. I don't think they even have assistants any longer but obviously that money wasn't turned in....just split.

I've never had the feeling that the substantial tip I give to the attendant in Churchills gets turned in. That tip is supposed to be for the personal attention......and if it gets turned in, I'd rather not give it. :confused:

When I slip the cabin steward the bills...in the cabin, he immediately puts them in his pocket. Does he really have to turn that in?? When you give the bills for cabin service delivery...do they turn that in also?? ... I've never had the feeling that the substantial tip I give to the attendant in Churchills gets turned in. That tip is supposed to be for the personal attention......and if it gets turned in, I'd rather not give it. :confused:
Hi brigittetom, I also tip in cash for outstanding service; quietly, where not easily observed by other crew, and usually by shaking the steward's hand (with my palm containing well-folded notes) and thanking him/her for the exceptional service. That way, as you describe above, they have the option of not turning it in, if they so choose.

All best wishes,

(I hope you have a most wonderful crossing in May this year :) )

Edited by pepperrn

When I slip the cabin steward the bills...in the cabin, he immediately puts them in his pocket. Does he really have to turn that in??

When you give the bills for cabin service delivery...do they turn that in also??

These rules seem to change. It was said before that when you give extra to your cabin steward, he had to give part to his assistant. I don't think they even have assistants any longer but obviously that money wasn't turned in....just split.

I've never had the feeling that the substantial tip I give to the attendant in Churchills gets turned in. That tip is supposed to be for the personal attention......and if it gets turned in, I'd rather not give it. :confused:

Cash given to crew only needs to be handed in if you have previously cancelled the hotel and dining auto charge. If you haven't done so, the cash is kept by the recipient.

Cash given to crew only needs to be handed in if you have previously cancelled the hotel and dining auto charge. If you haven't done so, the cash is kept by the recipient.

That raises an interesting point. When waiting at Guest Services on QM2, the gentleman in front of me was cancelling his auto tip. He was most concerned his attendant not find out. The guest services person said that the attendant in charge would only be advised as required. I'm thinking that was baloney and just sad for the attendant. Your comment above suggests my thoughts were spot on.

Another question. Assuming you leave the tips on but wanted to give some extra, as another Aussie, what would this amount look like if the trip was an extended one (over 3 weeks for me :p - had to get that in)

That raises an interesting point. When waiting at Guest Services on QM2, the gentleman in front of me was cancelling his auto tip. He was most concerned his attendant not find out. The guest services person said that the attendant in charge would only be advised as required. I'm thinking that was baloney and just sad for the attendant. Your comment above suggests my thoughts were spot on.

Another question. Assuming you leave the tips on but wanted to give some extra, as another Aussie, what would this amount look like if the trip was an extended one (over 3 weeks for me :p - had to get that in)

Not sure what you mean. You could give as much or as little as you choose, the recipient will be aware that he/she is being singled out and given an extra reward.

I've only had the auto tip removed one time because I wanted to do it the old way...thinking it was much friendlier and more personal....never again. It used to be easy to find every one on "TIP" night. :)

As others have pointed out, when on board QM2 you are not in Australia. In the UK we also don't have a huge tipping culture (but it is moving that way). However when I'm in the US I accept that tipping for almost everything is expected of me, regardless of my personal habit back home.

That's exactly the view I take as well.

In the UK I normally (depending of course), tip 10% or so in restaurants in the UK, but that's it.

But in the US, because a) it's engrained in America culture and b) they chase you down the road with a meat clever if you don't leave a tip, then I tip maybe 15% or 20% in restaurants, plus in bars etc.

It all depends on how you look at the amount of the tip.

For example, the first time I cruised with Cunard, someone persuaded me to remove the auto tip, as it was quite a bit of money, (14 days x 2 x $11), i.e. $308. That sounds like fair amount, until I thought about what the entire holiday had cost me : £2300 each, £2000 on-board spent for drinks and excursions, £100 taxi, at least £700 on new clothes, so maybe $11,500. When you look at it like that, what's an extra $308 ?

Finally, it costs me $9/day to put my cat in the cat hotel whilst we're away !

So now I just leave the auto tip on a just view it as part of the cost of my holiday, just like a view the insurance, petrol, cat hotel fees, dry cleaning, parking etc etc as part of the cost.

Just wondering how much is a Thankyou for excellent service. For instance, a $5 tip might just seem inadequate?

Personally I think 5 might be a little inadequate but 10/15/20 would be great especially as it is in addition to their normal tip. And use the currency that you want because it doesn't have to be USD, I sometimes give sterling or euros if I'm light on dollars.

Edited by capnpugwash

Personally I think 5 might be a little inadequate but 10/15/20 would be great especially as it is in addition to their normal tip.

Cool. I can go with $20!

Those cat boarding rates are cheap. My cat costs $15 a night!