Ferry to Galveston

Bandit

I'm sailing out of Galveston early part of next year 09 March. I'm coming from the East on I-10. Spending the night in Winnie, because the motel is not as expensive as they are in Galveston.

At any rate, what I need to know is there a phone number I can call from our motel in Winnie to see if the ferry is running on the day we are to board the ship? I've done the ferry before, many years ago, and it bets having to drive to Houston and then down to Galveston.

Would appreciate any input I can receive on this subject. I have a feeling it runs every day, but what do they do when the fog rolls in? I would hate to drive all the way down there to find out they were not sailing due to fog and then have to drive all the way back to I-10 and then thru Huston to get to Galveston.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Ron

Even Heavy Fog Just Slows Them Down. If By Chance The Fog Is So Heavy They Stop Running, It Is Very Unlikely The Fog Will Last Past Mid Morning.

YOU HAVE ANOTHER OPTION BY PICKING UP HWY 146 IN BAYTOWN AND AVOIDING HOUSTON. HWY 146 WILL JOIN I-45 JUST NORTH OF THE GALVESTON CAUSWAY.

I knew I could count on you guys to give me the information I needed.

I won't worry at all.

TEXRENO, thanks for the alternate route. I think I took that road when I boarded the Norwegian SUN a few years ago out of Houston. Did not go all the way down it, but it was a very nice road, if I recall correctly. I was not aware that the road intersected with I-45. I thought it dead ended.

Ha. Thanks to you all. I knew I could get some answeres from these boards.

Ron

Agreed, you're best bet is I-10 to Exit 797 (Mont Belvieu) - Texas 146 south all the way to Interstate 45 south to Galveston

The Bolivar Ferry is a cool ride. Runs 24/7 but the wait to get on the ferry, especially on the Bolivar side, can be a long one on the weekends. If you just want to ride it, you can park on the Galveston or Bolivar side, walk on board and make a round trip.

• 3 weeks later...

The ferries have been running slow lately. You can go to www.crystalbeach.com and find a link to the transtar cameras at the ferry landing. Your best bet may very well be going through Baytown or finding a hotel in Clear Lake or another town South of Houston and North of Galveston.

Depending on your timeline, you would be better served to continue on to Galveston and spend the night there. It would be a couple of hours more and you could sleep in as most boarding doesn't start until around 11:30 or 12:00.

Archived