"Steps of Paul" Questions

MSEm

Saw this "Steps of Paul" cruise. Has anyone sailed or know anything about this cruise? All of the contact info for web site and mailing is in Greece.

I have friends wanting to take a "Christian" cruise, but I worry about a "new" vendor with only Greece contact info.

Thanks for any information good or bad.

There are tons of different travel agencies that offer package tours with this name. I just took one myself, and they booked us on a 3-day cruise with Louis as one part of the tour. What's the name of the group offering the tour you're looking at?

If I am right, the "Footsteps of St.Paul" is a 8night cruise to places that St.Paul visited in Greece and Turkey. The cruise ship is Perla of Louis Hellenic Cruises.

There will be one sailing only in October from Piraeus (Athens,Greece).

It is "The Steps of Paul Coastal Cruises" on the Orient Queen.

Web site and phones numbers are in Greece. With only 1 sailing in Oct and another in March, it looks like a charter. Has anyone had any experience with this group or the ship "Orient Queen"

Thanks.

I don't think it is a charter.

It is a cruise offered by Louis Hellenic.

I'm 99% sure about this.

And about the ship, the tend to change vessels very easy, so you never know, but at the latest program they have sent, the sailing is with Perla.

The same goes to their website.

I suggest you call the number of the cruise line or send them an email for more info.

It is "The Steps of Paul Coastal Cruises" on the Orient Queen.

Web site and phones numbers are in Greece. With only 1 sailing in Oct and another in March, it looks like a charter. Has anyone had any experience with this group or the ship "Orient Queen"

Thanks.

I get it now--here's the deal. Louis arranges that when you dock, you're met by a local guide, who takes you and others from your ship (and nobody else) on a tour of that particular port. The local guides that I dealt with on my recent 3-day cruise on Orient Queen were fantastic. In Greece, to be a licensed tour guide, you go to school for THREE YEARS! These people really know their stuff! Don't know about Turkish requirements, but our guide in Ephesus was an archaeologist who had actually worked on the excavations there--she was awesome.

The question is, would you be satisfied with a historical tour of the places where Paul lived and worked, or are you looking for more spirituality? My group brought a chaplain with us, and he was in charge of the spiritual side of things for us (we were a tiny percentage of pax on board). Louis doesn't have any chaplain on staff that I know of! The local guides can answer ALL your historical questions, but don't expect them to expound on scripture or pray with you--that's not their thing.

In a nutshell, if you're looking for a vacation that centers on St. Paul, based on my experience, it should be great. But if you want an actual pilgrimage, you won't get it from Louis.

• 5 years later...

Got up at 3 am to start calling because they promised me documents today. They hung up on me. Now I get an email saying it will be Monday at the latest. This is unacceptable. I advise you stay away from this company. I thought it might be Louis Hellenic but I don't see anything leaving on the day I have.

Now it's Monday and still no documents. Called at 7 and it was like Oh I forgot. Call back in an hour. Called at 8:15 and no answer. Called another line and they say she's stepped out of the office. Call back. I asked if this is common to do to clients and they said oh you'll have to speak to Oona about that. I'm beginning to think it's a one man dog and pony show and Oona is it. If I don't have a heart attack over this I will live to 110.

• 1 month later...

Vmom - In my opinion - stay away. That's the only written thing I can say. I had an email from someone who said they had to pay 63,000 euros because their clients were debarked after boarding and the cruise line wanted the money from someone. I didn't have problems but I would never use them again. I think I'm still tired from getting up at 3 am every morning to call them and the Greek Tourism Board. Even the tourism board said they had multiple complaints.

Archived