Military Discount and Upgrade

dshellen

Has anyone ever been upgraded when they took advantage of the military discount? We booked 2 6A GTY and 1 4A GTY for sailing on the Glory on April 24. I feel that we got a pretty good deal using the military rate and have convinced myself that we will probably be in a 6A, which is alright with me as long as we are on the ship. I just wondered if the upgrade fairy may visit.

I'd like to know how you faired.

Have you tried the Kelly Method to see if you were upgraded? You're close enough.

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

Short one on the Celebration

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;31;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

JULY 31, 2004

I booked directly with Carnival in Feb and got the military discount for 2 4B cabins and paid average $510 pp. I kept my eyes on Carnivals prices and many other sites and I still had the lowest fare. However after a significant price drop my cat. was very close to my military rate so I called and I got $300 ship credit and both cabins were upgraded to 6D. I'm very happy with that. So call your PVP or TA and just check. Good Luck and tell us what happens.

First Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I'm thinking that the military discount from Carnival is a discount from the current fare. But that's a guess. Oh and the $300 ship board credit is for 7 people which is about $43pp. I didn't ask for details of why I was getting what I was getting. I figure why be a pain to someone who just gave me all that.

First Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I did not realize that was still being offerd.

My daughter and SIL are stationed at Lakenheath.

We would like to get them on a cruise when (if) they come home.

Can someone give me the details.Does the enlisted have to be on board? (can he book his wife) can he still be on active duty?

Thanks for any help.

Cathy

NCL-Starward 1982

NCL-Seaward 1986

NCL-Norway 1992

Carnival-Celebration 1996

Carnival-Jubilee 2001

RCI-Rhapsody 1999

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

Grand Princess or Rhapsody ?

netdiver.gif

When I first called about booking a cruise the military discount for our particular ship and date was being offered then two weeks later I called to put down a depoist and they said that that a military discount was no longer available for that ship/date and that it was over a few days ago. Well my PVP e-mailed his supervisor to see if they would still give it to me and well they did. So brn2crz I would pick a couple ships and dates and call Carnival I'm not sure I can give out the PVPs name so I will tell you to go to www.military.com and go to travel discounts. There will be several Carnival offers. You want to check the one that have cmp2/cmp3 and there will be a phone# with extention that is the guy you want to talk to he's great. The other day they sent me a cruise offer for an 8 day cruise (don't remember which ship) specifically for some June date for $299 cat. 1a. Also I think the active/retired person has to be sailing.

First Cruise!!!

I am sailing with my 2 sons in July. My DH is retired Navy and will not be sailing with us. When I booked the price was already $200 lower then the best rate I could find. As of today the category is sold out (4A) - but the 4B is going for $400.00 more (total) then what I paid - so I don't think I will see any price break. I'm just glad I was able to take advantage of the military rate - as I called about 4 weeks later and they were not offering the military discount for that sailing anymore (at least not the 4A). The military person does not have to be traveling with the family for one cabin. If you want additional cabins for family then the military person must travel with (and I think they have to be active duty to get the extra cabins). Someone else might be able to tell you if that has changed. If you go to Carnival site and look at past press releases it can be more specific. I know at first I had an agent who wasn't going to let me book without DH until I quoted the article - stating one cabin can be booked by immediate family member. So you may want to read up on it before you call. Also - the last I heard it was only for 2004 sailings.

If they aren't offering the discount for the category you request - ask if they offer it in any other categories.

-- Cheryl

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;31;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

JULY 31, 2004

We have found out that Carnival is only allowing retired military to book one cabin at the discount. And will not extend the discount to other immediate family members that are traveling. My dad, who is retired military with over 30 years of service was only able to book the cabin with my mom, while we booked the same class of cabin and are paying over $400 more for the same!! Personally, I believe retired military should be afforded the same treatment since they also have served their country. Sorry for the vent!

Personnally I agree with you ljc576. Even though they are retired it did take them at least 20 years to get to that point. Not taking anything away from anyone who is currently on active duty - but to not extend the discount to members of the retired members family is simply silly (I'm trying to be nice).

-- Cheryl

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

JULY 31, 2004

Archived